Santa Clarita Post-Acute Care Center is located in Newhall, California. The city has 34,882 people. This nursing home received an overall grade of B-, which is a middle of the road score. You can definitely do worse than this nursing home. The best part of this place's profile is is its nursing score. Nursing grades are discussed in the next section.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Santa Clarita Post-Acute Care Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Nov 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on Newhall senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Colostomy Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
On top of receiving a great overall grade, this nursing home really excelled in the category of nursing, where it received an A-. Few nursing homes fared better in this area. In determining a nursing home's nursing rating, we weigh the number of hours nurses commit to residents as well as the levels of training of those nurses. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Lastly, we also assessed some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing grades. This facility performed very well when it comes to avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Short-term Care Quality
We also gave this nursing home an impressive score in short-term care. This facility earned a grade of B+ in this category, which is one of our higher grades. In calculating our short-term care scores, we look at the facility's levels of highly skilled nursing services, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists occupational therapists and other licensed professionals. This grade is frequently a fair assessment of the facility's rehabilitation services. Unfortunately, it does not look like this facility provided information on registered nurse or physical therapist staffing. Lastly, we looked at the number of residents who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. We found that 5.8 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about Santa Clarita Post-Acute Care Center?
Long-term Care Quality
Another one of this nursing home's more favorable category scores was in the area of long-term care. In that area, we awarded this facility a B. Facilities that excel in long-term care tend to provide patients with more supervision and stay on top of routine healthcare services. On top of assessing the amount of care provided by aids and other staff, we also looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This facility gave the vaccine to 99.095024 percent of its patients. Vaccines are critical to keeping patients out of the hospital. Finally, this nursing home was able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had only 0.03 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
In our final category of inspections, we gave this nursing home a D. This turned out to be this facility's worst grade and it really hurt its overall grade. Our inspection rating is based on the facility's inspections. Since the data is collected by government inspectors, we weight it heavily in overall grade. One of the most significant factors in evaluating inspection reports is deficiencies. We would scrutinize the level of severity of the deficiencies. This nursing home had 12 deficiencies by CMS. The only positive thing we found is that none of these deficiencies were in the categories that indicate they created a risk to resident health or safety. Finally, this facility also received 6 substantiated complaints in recent years. This is yet another bad sign.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Santa Clarita Post-Acute Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Santa Clarita Post-Acute Care Center, 3.51% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of patients that suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. Pressure ulcers, also known as bed sores, are often the result of patients not being moved frequently enough.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Santa Clarita Post-Acute Care Center, 0% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percent of residents who sustained a major fall. Falls leading to serious injury are routinely associated with lower quality nursing care. Better nursing care can limit the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain major falls.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Santa Clarita Post-Acute Care Center, 2.43% of Patients had UTIs
This figure measures the percentage of long-term residents who have suffered from a UTI. Although more of these infections may reflect poorly on a nursing home's nursing care, it is difficult to compare between facilities due to facilities having differing reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Santa Clarita Post-Acute Care Center, 14.21% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This metric gauges the percent of long-term stay patients receiving antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs play an important role in caring for many residents, it is important to make sure these drugs are being used appropriately. In limited situations, increased usage of these drugs may mean a facility is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Santa Clarita Post-Acute Care Center, 21.1% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This figure gauges the percentage of long-term care residents receiving antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Santa Clarita Post-Acute Care Center, 0.49% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term stay patients who are showing depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Santa Clarita Post-Acute Care Center, 99.55% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term stay patients that were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Santa Clarita Post-Acute Care Center, 9.18% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents that required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Santa Clarita Post-Acute Care Center, 11.01% of Residents
This tells you the percent of residents who remained mobile levels over time. Preserving mobility can be a good sign for residents' well-being.
In Santa Clarita Post-Acute Care Center, 0.03 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Santa Clarita Post-Acute Care Center, 11.01% of Residents Rehospitalized
Measures the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term care. Avoiding rehospitalizations during rehabilitation is key to restoring the physical well-being of residents.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Santa Clarita Post-Acute Care Center, 0.94% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Santa Clarita Post-Acute Care Center, 76.36% of Resident
This is a measure of the percentage of short-term care residents that experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Many in the industry believe that this is a measure of a nursing home's rehabilitation services.
- Lac/Olive View-Ucla Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.25 miles away14445 Olive View Drive Sylmar California 91342Voluntary non-profit - Other(818) 364-1555
- Providence Holy Cross Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.3 miles away15031 Rinaldi St Mission Hills California 91346Voluntary non-profit - Church(818) 365-8051
- Northridge Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.49 miles away18300 Roscoe Blvd Northridge California 91325Voluntary non-profit - Private(818) 885-8500
- Pacifica Hospital of the ValleyAcute Care Hospitals 11.54 miles away9449 San Fernando Rd Sun Valley California 91352Proprietary(818) 767-3310
- Providence Tarzana Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 14.01 miles away18321 Clark Street Tarzana California 91356Voluntary non-profit - Private(818) 881-0800
- Adventist Health Simi ValleyAcute Care Hospitals 14.03 miles away2975 N Sycamore Dr Simi Valley California 93065Voluntary non-profit - Church(805) 955-6000
- Sherman Oaks HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 15.29 miles away4929 Van Nuys Blvd Sherman Oaks California 91403Voluntary non-profit - Private(818) 981-7111
- Providence Saint Joseph Medical CtrAcute Care Hospitals 18.56 miles away501 South Buena Vista Street Burbank California 91505Voluntary non-profit - Church(818) 843-5111
- Santa Clarita Dialysis, LLC1.61 miles away23421 Lyons Avenue Valencia California 91355Dialysis Stations: 27 (661) 244-1835
- Nrc-Santa Clarita Kidney Center4.36 miles away23861 W. Mcbean Parkway, Suite E-11 Valencia California 91355CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 23 (661) 222-7370
- Nrc-Canyon Country Dialysis Center, LLC6.34 miles away18520 via Princessa, Building C-1 Canyon Country California 91387CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 31 (661) 298-5300
- Nrc-Sylmar Dialysis, LLC6.9 miles away12151 San Fernando Rd. Sylmar California 91342CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (818) 465-9464
- Fmc-San Fernando7.75 miles away451 S. Brand Blvd., Suite 100 San Fernando California 91340CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (818) 837-9980
- Fmc-Rai-South Brand-San Fernando7.75 miles away501 S. Brand Blvd. San Fernando California 91340Dialysis Stations: 5 (818) 365-5270
- Nrc-Kidney Care Center of North Valley, Inc8.01 miles away16907 Devonshire Street Granada Hills California 91344CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (818) 366-4600
- Fmc-Mission Hills8.24 miles away11550 Indian Hills Road, Suite 100 Mission Hills California 91345CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 23 (818) 898-1724