Samaritan Care Center and Villa is in Medina, Ohio. This city has 62,039 people. Featuring an overall grade of A-, this facility is among the higher-graded facilities we looked at. In fact, we were so impressed with this nursing home that we ranked it ahead of most of the nursing homes in Medina, which boasts a strong selection of facilities. If you look below, you can see this nursing home's category grades, which are also impressive.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Samaritan Care Center and Villa
- Nursing Home
- Assisted Living
Updated Nov 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on Medina senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Amputee Recovery
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
Long-term Care Quality
We also found that this nursing home excelled in our long-term care rating. We gave them a grade of A+ in this category. In a long-term care setting, the facility's primary objective is to keep patients healthy and safe. This is different than skilled nursing or short-term care where the goal is to rehabilitate residents. Once we assessed the volume of nursing care, we turned to the facility's vaccination statistics. This nursing home vaccinated 88.1356 percent of its residents for pneumonia. Clearly, this place is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its residents out of the hospital. Indeed, it had only 0 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Adding to this facility's impressive resume, we gave this nursing home an A- for inspections. Perhaps the most significant factor we consider in determining our inspection grades is deficiencies. Deficiencies can be found on a nursing home's inspection reports. Facilities with higher grades in this category most likely avoided the more severe deficiencies involving health risks or even death. Fortunately, although this facility had a few minor dings on its inspection report, it had zero severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are those labeled as categories G through L. This tells you that the government inspectors didn't consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient health or safety. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Does this page answer your questions about Samaritan Care Center and Villa?
To complement its strong performance in other areas, we awarded this nursing home a grade of A- for our inspections rating. The nursing score assesses a handful of factors, but the main consideration is the quantity of nurse hours per patient per week. This facility provided 0.5 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Lastly, we also looked at some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing grades. This nursing home performed very well in terms of minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Short-term Care Quality
The last category we rated is short-term care. In this category, we awarded this nursing home an above average grade of B. Our short-term care ratings are arguably most critical for patients requiring rehabilitation services. Rehabilitation typically utilizes additional skilled nursing services. Skilled nursing includes not only nursing, but also physical and respiratory therapy, as well as other variations of therapy. Fortunately, it appear that this nursing home employs registered nurses. Not all facilities employs these types of nurses. However, according to the information this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. Finally, we considered the percentage of patients who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that 0 percent of this facility's patients returned home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Samaritan Care Center and Villa Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Samaritan Care Center and Villa, 5% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percent of patients that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also referred to as bed sores, are routinely the result of patients not being moved frequently enough. Better nursing protocols can minimize the number of pressure ulcers sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Samaritan Care Center and Villa, 5.93% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of residents that sustained a major fall. Falls resulting in severe injuries are routinely caused by lower quality nursing care. Better nursing care minimizes the number of major falls sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Samaritan Care Center and Villa, 0.85% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percentage of patients that suffered from a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are often linked to facilities with worst hygiene practices. Better nursing care can reduce the number of UTI's sustained by residents in a nursing home. Keep in mind that this datapoint is affected by by the fact that facilities have different reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Samaritan Care Center and Villa, 7.37% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This statistic gauges the percentage of long-term stay residents which are prescribed antipsychotic medication. Increased usage of these drugs may suggest that a facility is using these drugs to subdue residents in scenarios where such drugs aren't medically indicated. Nevertheless, some facilities need to rely more on these medications due to an increased number of patients suffering from Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Samaritan Care Center and Villa, 35.51% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percent of patients prescribed antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety medications are administered to residents suffering from depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Samaritan Care Center and Villa, 25.93% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term care residents who are showing depressive symptoms. Some experts argue this is a reasonable measure of quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Samaritan Care Center and Villa, 90.94% of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients that received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Samaritan Care Center and Villa, 20.19% of Patients
This is the percent of residents who needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Samaritan Care Center and Villa, 20.71% of Residents
This indicates the percentage of patients who retained mobility levels over time. Retaining mobility is usually a great sign for residents' well-being.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Samaritan Care Center and Villa, 20.71% of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Samaritan Care Center and Villa, 44.79% of Resident
Measures the percent of short-term residents who saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Many believe this is a reasonable measure of rehabilitation performance.
Scores for Medina, OH
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? Medina, Ohio has 5 other nursing homes
- Medina HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 0.56 miles away1000 East Washington Street Medina Ohio 44256Voluntary non-profit - Private(330) 725-1000
- Lodi Community HospitalCritical Access Hospitals 11.2 miles away225 Elyria Street Lodi Ohio 44254Voluntary non-profit - Private(330) 948-1222
- Southwest General Health CenterAcute Care Hospitals 16.27 miles away18697 Bagley Road Cleveland Ohio 44130Voluntary non-profit - Private(440) 816-6701
- Akron General Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 16.8 miles away1 Akron General Avenue Akron Ohio 44307Voluntary non-profit - Private(330) 344-6000
- Summa Western Reserve HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 17.49 miles away1900 23rd Street Cuyahoga Falls Ohio 44223Voluntary non-profit - Other(330) 971-7000
- Summa Health SystemAcute Care Hospitals 18.44 miles away525 East Market Street Akron Ohio 44309Voluntary non-profit - Private(330) 375-3000
- Fmc - Medina County Kidney Center0.88 miles away3995 Medina Road #150 Medina Ohio 44256Dialysis Stations: 17 (330) 764-1019
- Davita Medina Square Dialysis1.03 miles away740 North Court Street Medina Ohio 44256Dialysis Stations: 8 (330) 721-7824
- Davita - Kidney Center of Brunswick6.98 miles away3812 Center Road, Suite 101 Brunswick Ohio 44212Dialysis Stations: 16 (330) 220-4502
- Nxstage Cleveland, LLC7.17 miles away1418 Town Center Blvd a-30 Brunswick Ohio 44212Dialysis Stations: 13 (330) 558-8744
- Fmc - Brunswick Dialysis Center7.95 miles away2583-2585 Center Road Hinckley Ohio 44233Dialysis Stations: 19 (330) 220-4366
- Davita Dialysis - Strongsville10.52 miles away17792 Pearl Rd. Strongsville Ohio 44136CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (440) 238-9270
- Fmc - Wadsworth Dialysis10.6 miles away1160 Williams Reserve Blvd. Wadsworth Ohio 44281Dialysis Stations: 13 (330) 336-8070
- Fmc - Akron West10.93 miles away3558 Ridgewood Rd Akron Ohio 44333Dialysis Stations: 6 (330) 668-6200