With an address in Medina, Ohio, Samaritan Care Center and Villa is one of just three facilities in the area. This nursing home received an excellent grade of A- overall. This is even better than the city grade of B+ in Medina, which is also well above average. This is really as good of a place as you'll find. The best part of this facility's strong report card was its long-term care score. We discuss long-term care in the next section
Samaritan Care Center and Villa
Updated May 1, 2022 by Sara Levinsohn
806 E Washington Street,
Medina OH 44256
52.32% estimated occupancy 1
Registered Staff Hours
Long-term Care Quality
One of the reasons this turned out to be a great nursing home is that it received a very impressive long-term care rating. This turned out to be its best category. In this area, we gave this nursing home an A. Long-term care grades of this caliber generally require both 24/7 care from nurses and aids, as well as quality routine healthcare services. This facility's vaccination records weren't as favorable some of its other datapoints in this area, such as its number of nursing hours per resident. This facility administered the pneumonia vaccine to just 81.08108 percent of its residents. We'd love to see some improvement in this area in the future. Although its vaccination rate was a bit lower than we had hoped, at least this nursing home was able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had only 0 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Turning to our inspection category, this nursing home excelled in that area, which is based on the nursing home's inspection reports. In fact, we awarded it a grade of A for that category. Perhaps the most important factor we consider in calculating our inspection scores is deficiencies. These deficiencies are found on a facility's recent inspection reports. Nursing homes with better scores in this category typically dodged the more severe deficiencies involving health risks or even death. Although this facility had some deficiencies on its report, none were major deficiencies based on CMS' deficiency scale. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Does this page answer your questions about Samaritan Care Center and Villa?
Adding to its strong resume, this facility also received an excellent nursing score, with a grade of A-. Our nursing grade features a host of factors. The most important factor is the quantity of hours nurses spent with residents. This place offers extremely high levels of nursing care, averaging 5.7 hours per resident on a daily basis. This is more nursing care than nearly any other place provides. Finally, this place also performed well in several of the quality-based metrics we looked at. In terms of the number of its residents suffering from pressure ulcers, this nursing home performed better than the national average.
Short-term Care Quality
The last area we rated was short-term care, where this nursing home received a B-. This actually ended up being this facility's worst category. This is still not a major area of concern. In our short-term care rating, we try to craft a sound measure for rehabilitation services. In doing so, we analyze a nursing home's levels of skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as occupational therapy. This nursing home elevated its grade in this category by offering more care from registered nurses to its residents than the average facility. The final measure we looked at in this category is the percentage of patients that eventually returned home from the facility. We found that just 0 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home. This figure is below average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Samaritan Care Center and Villa Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Samaritan Care Center and Villa, 7.8% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of residents that sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, which are also called bed sores, are routinely the result of patients not being moved frequently enough. Better nursing care limits the number of pressure ulcers sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Samaritan Care Center and Villa, 3.62% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percent of patients that sustained a fall which caused serious injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Samaritan Care Center and Villa, 1.75% of Patients had UTIs
This is an indication of the percent of long-term stay patients who had urinary tract infections. Although more infections could reflect poorly on a facility's cleanliness, it can be difficult to compare different facilities due to nursing homes having varying reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Samaritan Care Center and Villa, 12.79% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of residents prescribed antipsychotic drugs. These medications are sometimes used for several conditions, such as Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Samaritan Care Center and Villa, 22.34% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percent of patients given antianxiety medications. These medications are used to treat patients suffering from depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Samaritan Care Center and Villa, 19.84% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term stay patients showing depressive symptoms. Some experts argue this is a reasonable measure of patient quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Samaritan Care Center and Villa, 90.11% of Patients
This is the percent of residents who were given the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Samaritan Care Center and Villa, 15.05% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents that needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Samaritan Care Center and Villa, 18.59% Percentage of Residents
This is a measure of the percent of long-term residents that were able to retain mobility.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Samaritan Care Center and Villa, 18.59 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint measures the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Samaritan Care Center and Villa, 74.53% Percentage of Resident
Measures the percentage of short-term care patients who experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Some believe that this is a measure of a nursing home's rehabilitation services.
- Medina HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 0.56 miles away1000 East Washington Street Medina Ohio 44256Voluntary non-profit - Private(330) 725-1000
- Lodi Community HospitalCritical Access Hospitals 11.2 miles away225 Elyria Street Lodi Ohio 44254Voluntary non-profit - Private(330) 948-1222
- Southwest General Health CenterAcute Care Hospitals 16.27 miles away18697 Bagley Road Cleveland Ohio 44130Voluntary non-profit - Private(440) 816-6701
- Akron General Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 16.8 miles away1 Akron General Avenue Akron Ohio 44307Voluntary non-profit - Private(330) 344-6000
- Summa Western Reserve HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 17.49 miles away1900 23rd Street Cuyahoga Falls Ohio 44223Voluntary non-profit - Other(330) 971-7000
- Summa Health SystemAcute Care Hospitals 18.44 miles away525 East Market Street Akron Ohio 44309Voluntary non-profit - Private(330) 375-3000
- Fmc - Medina County Kidney Center0.88 miles away3995 Medina Road #150 Medina Ohio 44256Dialysis Stations: 17 (330) 764-1019
- Davita Medina Square Dialysis1.03 miles away740 North Court Street Medina Ohio 44256Dialysis Stations: 8 (330) 721-7824
- Davita - Kidney Center of Brunswick6.98 miles away3812 Center Road, Suite 101 Brunswick Ohio 44212Dialysis Stations: 16 (330) 220-4502
- Nxstage Cleveland, LLC7.17 miles away1418 Town Center Blvd a-30 Brunswick Ohio 44212Dialysis Stations: 13 (330) 558-8744
- Fmc - Brunswick Dialysis Center7.95 miles away2583-2585 Center Road Hinckley Ohio 44233Dialysis Stations: 19 (330) 220-4366
- Davita Dialysis - Strongsville10.52 miles away17792 Pearl Rd. Strongsville Ohio 44136CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (440) 238-9270
- Fmc - Wadsworth Dialysis10.6 miles away1160 Williams Reserve Blvd. Wadsworth Ohio 44281Dialysis Stations: 13 (330) 336-8070
- Fmc - Akron West10.93 miles away3558 Ridgewood Rd Akron Ohio 44333Dialysis Stations: 6 (330) 668-6200