Salemhaven is in Salem, New Hampshire. This facility is ranked among the highest-rated nursing homes we found. In fact, it received the very best grade. We were so impressed with this facility that we ranked it in the top ten percentile of all nursing homes in the United States. Headlining this nursing home's remarkable report card is its inspection reports, which you can find in the next section.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
- Nursing Home
- Adult Day Care
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
23 Geremonty Drive,
Salem NH 03079
69.09% estimated occupancy 1
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
Top Nursing Home in New Hampshire Awards 2019
Top Nursing Home in New Hampshire Awards 2021
Registered Staff Hours
To go along with a favorable overall score, we gave this nursing home an A+ for our inspection category. We take several aspects of a facility's inspection report into consideration in calculating these inspection scores. One key factor is deficiencies. You should keep in mind that the severity of the deficiencies is arguably more important than the number of deficiencies, as some end up being quite insignificant. Fortunately, although this place had some minor dings on its report, it had zero severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are ones labeled as categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This tells you the government inspectors didn't consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
Contributing to its top-shelf resume, this facility also performed well in our long-term care category. In fact, we awarded it a grade of A in that area. Nursing homes that excel in long-term care tend to provide residents with closer supervision and stay on top of routine healthcare services. On top of considering the amount of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we looked at the number of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This nursing home administered the vaccine to 94.77911 percent of its patients, which is an impressive figure. Pneumonia is too frequently a dangerous ailment for nursing home patients so we like it when a nursing home does not roll the dice on this issue. Finally, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had only 0.01 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about Salemhaven?
Short-term Care Quality
Moving on our third category, this facility received a strong short-term care grade. In fact, it received a grade of A in that area. Our short-term care scores are based on a facility's quantity of skilled nursing services. This means a broad range of services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and speech therapists, not to mention other types of therapy. Fortunately, it looks like this facility has registered nurses on staff. Not every nursing home employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, based on the information they provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. The last metric we considered in this area is the percentage of patients who were able to leave the nursing home and return to the community. We discovered that 5.9 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home.
In the final area, we gave this facility a grade of A+ for its nursing rating. This finished off a first-rate report card. In computing our nursing grades, we analyze both nursing hours and the levels of licensure of the nurses. This nursing home averages 0.5 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed several nursing quality-based metrics and this facility excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any nursing home the nation in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can generally be avoided by offering better nursing care, such as by having a protocol of turning a resident more often.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Salemhaven Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Salemhaven, 6.48% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of residents that suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are skin damage resulting from remaining in the same position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Salemhaven, 5.13% of Patients had Serious Falls
This figure gauges the percentage of long-term stay patients who experienced falls resulting in major injury. Falls can arise for a variety of reasons, but excessive numbers of falls may be an indicator of poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Salemhaven, 2.56% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percentage of residents who suffered from a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are considered by many experts to be an indicator of nursing care . UTI's are routinely caused by a nursing home with worse hygiene protocols. Nevertheless, this datapoint could also be skewed for certain nursing homes due to different reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Salemhaven, 16.15% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of patients given antipsychotic drugs. These medications may be used to treat several medical conditions, including Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Salemhaven, 14.9% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This measures the percentage of long-term patients receiving antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Salemhaven, 6.23% of Patients
This is the percent of residents who are exhibiting symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Salemhaven, 94.94% of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Salemhaven, 18.44% Percentage of Patients
This is the percent of patients that required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Salemhaven, 18.81% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percent of patients who retained mobility levels over time. Retaining mobility is usually a great sign for residents' well-being.
In Salemhaven, 1.55 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care. There is usually a correlation between staying out of the hospital and the quality of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Salemhaven, 18.81 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term patient care. There is generally a correlation between reduced hospitalizations and the quality of rehabilitation services.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Salemhaven, 13.79 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Salemhaven, 81.87% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percent of short-term patients that saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Higher levels of performance with activities of daily living often correlates with better rehabilitation services.
- Holy Family HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.45 miles away70 East Street Methuen Massachusetts 01844Proprietary(978) 687-0156
- Parkland Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.37 miles away1 Parkland Drive Derry New Hampshire 03038Proprietary(603) 421-2100
- Lowell General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.72 miles away295 Varnum Avenue Lowell Massachusetts 01854Voluntary non-profit - Private(978) 937-6000
- Southern Nh Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 12.75 miles away8 Prospect Street Nashua New Hampshire 03060Voluntary non-profit - Private(603) 577-2000
- St Joseph HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 13.74 miles away172 Kinsley St Nashua New Hampshire 03060Voluntary non-profit - Other(603) 882-3000
- Anna Jaques HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 16.18 miles away25 Highland Avenue Newburyport Massachusetts 01950Voluntary non-profit - Private(978) 463-1000
- Elliot HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 17.83 miles away1 Elliot Way Manchester New Hampshire 03103Voluntary non-profit - Private(603) 669-5300
- Catholic Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 19.5 miles away100 Mcgregor Street Manchester New Hampshire 03102Voluntary non-profit - Private(603) 668-3545
- Bio-Medical Applications of New Hampshire Inc1.96 miles away19 Keewadin Drive Suite 1 Salem New Hampshire 03079Dialysis Stations: 1 (603) 870-0969
- Versailles Dialysis LLC2.01 miles away18 Pelham Road Salem New Hampshire 03079Dialysis Stations: 10 (603) 870-9487
- Fresenius Medical Care Merrimack Valley3.95 miles away100 Milk Street Methuen Massachusetts 01844CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (978) 686-9900
- Fresenius Medical Care of Methuen4.77 miles away421 Merrimack Street Methuen Massachusetts 01844Dialysis Stations: 21 (978) 975-3117
- Davita North Andover Renal at Home6.54 miles away201 Sutton Street North Andover Massachusetts 01845CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (978) 975-1119
- Fresenius Medical Care of Lowell11.33 miles away847 Rogers Street Suite 101 Lowell Massachusetts 01852CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 35 (978) 441-5100
- Fresenius Medical Care Londonderry12.01 miles away1f Common Drive Londonderry New Hampshire 03053Dialysis Stations: 13 (603) 434-4517
- Davita Derry Dialysis12.01 miles away1 Action Blvd suite2 Londonderry New Hampshire 03053Dialysis Stations: 13 (603) 421-9724