Salemhaven is in Salem, New Hampshire. This facility is ranked among the highest-rated nursing homes we found. In fact, it received the very best grade. In fact, we ranked this facility number 102 in the nation. This puts it in the top one percent of all nursing homes. Headlining this nursing home's remarkable report card is its inspection reports, which you can find in the next section.
- Nursing Home
- Adult Day Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
Top Nursing Home in New Hampshire Awards 2019
Top Nursing Home in New Hampshire Awards 2021
Registered Staff Hours
To go along with a favorable overall score, we gave this nursing home an A+ for our inspection category. We take several aspects of a facility's inspection report into consideration in calculating these inspection scores. One key factor is deficiencies. You should keep in mind that the severity of the deficiencies is arguably more important than the number of deficiencies, as some end up being quite insignificant. Fortunately, although this place had some minor dings on its report, it had zero severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are ones labeled as categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This tells you the government inspectors didn't consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
One of the other reasons we rated this facility so highly is that it received a very impressive nursing rating. Nursing turned out to be its second best category grade. In that area, we awarded this facility an A+. Our nursing grade analyzes many factors, many of which are tied to nursing hours. This nursing home provides 0.5 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This place performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a facility has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can frequently be avoided if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Does this page answer your questions about Salemhaven?
Long-term Care Quality
We also gave this facility a grade of of A+ for its long-term care grade. When nursing homes receive this type of score in long-term care it is typically a good sign for patient care and suggests that the nursing home is well-staffed with nurses aids. Once we assessed the volume of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we then looked at the facility's vaccination records. This nursing home vaccinated 95.306854 percent of its patients for pneumonia, which is more than the vast majority of nursing homes. Clearly, this nursing home is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its patients out of the hospital. In fact, it had only 0.01 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Short-term Care Quality
Turning to the next category, this facility also excelled in the short-term care category. We awarded it an A in this area. This topped off truly elite report card. In calculating our short-term care scores, we assess the nursing home's skilled nursing services, such as those performed by registered nurses, speech therapists, physical therapists and other types of therapists. The objective is to formulate a scale for comparing the rehabilitation services of different nursing homes. Fortunately, it appear that this facility has registered nurses on staff. Not all facilities employs these skilled professionals. However, based on the data this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. Finally, we considered the number of patients that eventually returned home from this facility. We found that 5.9 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Salemhaven Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Salemhaven, 6.17% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percentage of patients that sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are skin damage due to remaining in the same position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Salemhaven, 5.16% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of patients who suffered from a major fall. Falls leading to severe injury are routinely linked to lower levels of patient supervision. Closer supervision can reduce the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain major falls.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Salemhaven, 2.81% of Patients had UTIs
This datapoint indicates the percent of long-term patients who had UTI's. Although a higher rate infections could reflect poorly on a facility's cleanliness, it can be difficult to compare different nursing homes due to facilities having reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Salemhaven, 17.01% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percentage of residents who were prescribed antipsychotic drugs. Antipsychotic drugs are prescribed to residents for a variety of conditions, such as cognitive disorders. Tragically, in limited situations, excessive reliance on these medications may suggest that a facility is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Salemhaven, 16.61% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percentage of long-term residents which were administered antianxiety medication. These medications are typically used to treat residents experiencing depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Salemhaven, 5.77% of Patients
This is the percent of patients who are demonstrating signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Salemhaven, 95.49% of Patients
This is the percent of residents who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Salemhaven, 18.58% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients who required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Salemhaven, 22.17% Percentage of Residents
This is the percent of patients that remained mobile levels over time. Preserving mobility is usually a great sign for residents' well-being.
In Salemhaven, 1.27 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Salemhaven, 22.17 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric tracks the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Salemhaven, 12.13 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is generally a correlation between staying out of the emergency room and the quality of rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Salemhaven, 78.43% Percentage of Resident
This is a measure of the percent of short-term patients who saw functional improvements.
- Holy Family HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.45 miles away70 East Street Methuen Massachusetts 01844Proprietary(978) 687-0156
- Parkland Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.37 miles away1 Parkland Drive Derry New Hampshire 03038Proprietary(603) 421-2100
- Lowell General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.72 miles away295 Varnum Avenue Lowell Massachusetts 01854Voluntary non-profit - Private(978) 937-6000
- Southern Nh Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 12.75 miles away8 Prospect Street Nashua New Hampshire 03060Voluntary non-profit - Private(603) 577-2000
- St Joseph HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 13.74 miles away172 Kinsley St Nashua New Hampshire 03060Voluntary non-profit - Other(603) 882-3000
- Anna Jaques HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 16.18 miles away25 Highland Avenue Newburyport Massachusetts 01950Voluntary non-profit - Private(978) 463-1000
- Elliot HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 17.83 miles away1 Elliot Way Manchester New Hampshire 03103Voluntary non-profit - Private(603) 669-5300
- Catholic Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 19.5 miles away100 Mcgregor Street Manchester New Hampshire 03102Voluntary non-profit - Private(603) 668-3545
- Bio-Medical Applications of New Hampshire Inc1.96 miles away19 Keewadin Drive Suite 1 Salem New Hampshire 03079Dialysis Stations: 1 (603) 870-0969
- Versailles Dialysis LLC2.01 miles away18 Pelham Road Salem New Hampshire 03079Dialysis Stations: 10 (603) 870-9487
- Fresenius Medical Care Merrimack Valley3.95 miles away100 Milk Street Methuen Massachusetts 01844CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (978) 686-9900
- Fresenius Medical Care of Methuen4.77 miles away421 Merrimack Street Methuen Massachusetts 01844Dialysis Stations: 21 (978) 975-3117
- Davita North Andover Renal at Home6.54 miles away201 Sutton Street North Andover Massachusetts 01845CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (978) 975-1119
- Fresenius Medical Care of Lowell11.33 miles away847 Rogers Street Suite 101 Lowell Massachusetts 01852CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 35 (978) 441-5100
- Fresenius Medical Care Londonderry12.01 miles away1f Common Drive Londonderry New Hampshire 03053Dialysis Stations: 13 (603) 434-4517
- Davita Derry Dialysis12.01 miles away1 Action Blvd suite2 Londonderry New Hampshire 03053Dialysis Stations: 13 (603) 421-9724