Salemhaven is in Salem, New Hampshire. This facility is ranked among the highest-rated nursing homes we found. In fact, it received the very best grade. We were so impressed with this facility that we ranked it in the top five percentile of all nursing homes in the United States. Headlining this nursing home's remarkable report card is its inspection reports, which you can find in the next section.
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
Registered Staff Hours
To go along with a favorable overall score, we gave this nursing home an A+ for our inspection category. We take several aspects of a facility's inspection report into consideration in calculating these inspection scores. One key factor is deficiencies. You should keep in mind that the severity of the deficiencies is arguably more important than the number of deficiencies, as some end up being quite insignificant. Fortunately, although this place had some minor dings on its report, it had zero severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are ones labeled as categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This tells you the government inspectors didn't consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
One of the other reasons we rated this facility so highly is that it received a very impressive nursing rating. Nursing turned out to be its second best category grade. In that area, we awarded this facility an A+. Our nursing grade analyzes many factors, many of which are tied to nursing hours. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This place performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a facility has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can frequently be avoided if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Does this page answer your questions about Salemhaven?
Long-term Care Quality
Turning the page to our next area, we awarded this nursing home a score of A for its long-term care grade. This is a superb rating. When nursing homes receive this type of grade in long-term care it is a good sign for patient care and suggests that the place is well-staffed with nurses aids. After looking at the volume of care provided by nurses and other staff, we next considered the facility's vaccination record. This nursing home vaccinated 94.68085 percent of its patients for pneumonia, which is higher than the majority of nursing homes. Clearly, this place is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its residents out of the hospital. It had only 0.01 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Short-term Care Quality
In the last category, we awarded this facility a grade of A+ for our short-term care score. This rounded out a very impressive report card. Our short-term care scores are likely most important for those requiring a nursing home for rehabilitation. Rehabilitation typically requires more highly-skilled nursing services. Skilled nursing means not merely nursing, but also physical and occupational therapy, as well as other types of therapy. Fortunately, it looks like this nursing home employs registered nurses. Not all nursing homes employs these types of nurses. However, according to the information this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. Finally, we considered the percentage of patients that eventually returned home from this nursing home. We found that 5.2 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Salemhaven Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Salemhaven, 6.17% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of residents that suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be a measure of the quality of nursing care . Pressure ulcers, which are also called bed sores, are routinely the result of residents not being moved frequently enough.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Salemhaven, 5.18% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percentage of residents that suffered from a fall which resulted in serious injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Salemhaven, 3.06% of Patients had UTIs
This gauges the percent of long-term patients which sustained urinary tract infections. UTI's could be an indicator of a nursing home with worse hygiene protocols. However, this statistic can also be skewed for certain nursing homes due to different reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Salemhaven, 16.95% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This metric measures the percent of long-term care patients that are administered antipsychotic medication. High levels of antipsychotic drug use may mean a facility is using these medications to control patient behavior in situations where such medications are not medically indicated. However, some facilities need to rely on these drugs due to having more patients with Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Salemhaven, 16.72% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This statistic measures the percent of long-term care residents receiving antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Salemhaven, 5.54% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term care patients demonstrating depressive symptoms. Some would argue that this is a reasonable measure of quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Salemhaven, 95.74% of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients who have received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Salemhaven, 19.68% Percentage of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents that needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as taking medications and continence. Some would argue this is a reliable measure of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Salemhaven, 24.67% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percentage of patients who remained mobile levels over time. Preserving mobility can be a good sign for residents' health.
In Salemhaven, 1.18 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is a measure of the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care. Minimizing hospitalizations is important to maintaining the physical well-being of patients.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Salemhaven, 24.67 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Salemhaven, 11.85 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term care. There is a correlation between having fewer emergency room visits and the overall quality of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Salemhaven, 77.92% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percent of short-term stay residents that saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
- Holy Family HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.45 miles away70 East Street Methuen Massachusetts 01844Proprietary(978) 687-0156
- Parkland Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.37 miles away1 Parkland Drive Derry New Hampshire 03038Proprietary(603) 421-2100
- Lowell General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.72 miles away295 Varnum Avenue Lowell Massachusetts 01854Voluntary non-profit - Private(978) 937-6000
- Southern Nh Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 12.75 miles away8 Prospect Street Nashua New Hampshire 03060Voluntary non-profit - Private(603) 577-2000
- St Joseph HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 13.74 miles away172 Kinsley St Nashua New Hampshire 03060Voluntary non-profit - Other(603) 882-3000
- Anna Jaques HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 16.18 miles away25 Highland Avenue Newburyport Massachusetts 01950Voluntary non-profit - Private(978) 463-1000
- Elliot HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 17.83 miles away1 Elliot Way Manchester New Hampshire 03103Voluntary non-profit - Private(603) 669-5300
- Catholic Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 19.5 miles away100 Mcgregor Street Manchester New Hampshire 03102Voluntary non-profit - Private(603) 668-3545
- Bio-Medical Applications of New Hampshire Inc1.96 miles away19 Keewadin Drive Suite 1 Salem New Hampshire 03079Dialysis Stations: 1 (603) 870-0969
- Versailles Dialysis LLC2.01 miles away18 Pelham Road Salem New Hampshire 03079Dialysis Stations: 10 (603) 870-9487
- Fresenius Medical Care Merrimack Valley3.95 miles away100 Milk Street Methuen Massachusetts 01844CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (978) 686-9900
- Fresenius Medical Care of Methuen4.77 miles away421 Merrimack Street Methuen Massachusetts 01844Dialysis Stations: 21 (978) 975-3117
- Davita North Andover Renal at Home6.54 miles away201 Sutton Street North Andover Massachusetts 01845CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (978) 975-1119
- Fresenius Medical Care of Lowell11.33 miles away847 Rogers Street Suite 101 Lowell Massachusetts 01852CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 35 (978) 441-5100
- Fresenius Medical Care Londonderry12.01 miles away1f Common Drive Londonderry New Hampshire 03053Dialysis Stations: 13 (603) 434-4517
- Davita Derry Dialysis12.01 miles away1 Action Blvd suite2 Londonderry New Hampshire 03053Dialysis Stations: 13 (603) 421-9724