Sage Bluff Health & Rehab Center is an average-sized facility located in Fort Wayne, Indiana. With a really poor overall grade of F, this facility didn't fare well in our assessment. If you aren't happy with this nursing home, you should be able to find another option in Fort Wayne, as the city has more than 25 nursing homes. We wouldn't blame you if you are ready to stop reading and find another nursing home. However, if you want to learn more about this nursing home's category grades, short-term care grades are discussed in the next section.
Sage Bluff Health & Rehab Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
Although this facility's overall score was as bad as it gets, it didn't perform terribly in our short-term care category. We gave it a C for that category, which is a decent score. Unfortunately, this was not enough to spare its overall profile. Our short-term care scores are based in part on the nursing home's quantity of highly-skilled highly skilled professionals. This means a vast range of nursing services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and respiratory therapists, as well as other forms of therapy. Unfortunately, we found that this place provided fewer registered nurse and physical therapist hours per resident than most other facilities. The more important thing is determining what effect this had on quality of care. The final item we considered in this area is the percentage of patients that who were able to eventually return home from the nursing home. We found that just 5.3 percent of this facility's residents returned home. Unfortunately, this was below the national average.
This nursing home really excelled in the area of nursing, where it earned an C. Few nursing homes performed better in this area. Nursing ratings are largely based on the nursing home's level of nurse staffing. This facility provided just 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a relatively low total compared to most other facilities. Lastly, nursing ratings also consider quality-based metrics, such as preventing major falls. Despite not having the highest total nursing hours, this nursing home actually performed admirably in the metric of preventing major falls. This is often a good indicator that a place has quality controls in place. Many falls can be avoided if a facility supplies enough nurses aids to assist its patients.
Does this page answer your questions about Sage Bluff Health & Rehab Center?
Sadly, this facility received a grade of just D in our inspection category. This is well below average grade. Inspection grades factor in many items found on the facility's inspection reports. If you see severe deficiencies on the reports, this is typically the worst sign. Severe deficiencies indicate a risk to patient safety. This nursing home was hit with 8 deficiencies by government inspectors. The only favorable thing we can say is that none of the deficiencies were in the categories that suggest that they caused a threat to patient health or safety. Finally, we would like to point out that this place received large government fines of more than $100,000. This generally signifies that a bad performance has been an issue for several years.
Long-term Care Quality
The final area we analyzed was long-term care, where this nursing home received an abysmal score here as well. We gave it an F in this category, which is definitely very concerning. For residents looking for a permanent residence rather than rehabilitation, long-term care is a very important category. One of the data points we considered after nursing hours is vaccinations. Thankfully, this nursing home provided the pneumonia vaccine to 97.452225 percent of its residents. Surprisingly, this facility was able to limit hospitalizations. With just 0.01 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, this facility had fewer hospitalizations than the average nursing home. Sadly, a few of its other scores in the category were not as favorable as these.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Sage Bluff Health & Rehab Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Sage Bluff Health & Rehab Center, 7.44% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This statistic is an indication of the percent of long-term patients who suffered from pressure ulcers . We factor in this statistic in computing both nursing and long-term care grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Sage Bluff Health & Rehab Center, 3.93% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percentage of residents who suffered from a major fall. Falls leading to major injury are considered to be a barometer of nursing care at a nursing home. Falls resulting in injury are often caused by lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Sage Bluff Health & Rehab Center, 1.87% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percentage of patients who sustained a urinary tract infection. UTI's are considered by many experts to be a measure of nursing care at a nursing home. UTI's are often linked to a facility with worst hygiene practices. Nevertheless, this statistic can be skewed for certain facilities due to inconsistent reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Sage Bluff Health & Rehab Center, 13.18% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This metric gauges the percentage of long-term stay residents taking antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic medications serve an important medical purpose, it is important to ensure these medications are being used appropriately. In some situations, increased usage of these drugs may suggest a nursing home is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Sage Bluff Health & Rehab Center, 21.77% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percent of patients who were prescribed antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety drugs are given to residents suffering from depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Sage Bluff Health & Rehab Center, 12.89% of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients who are showing signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Sage Bluff Health & Rehab Center, 91.48% of Patients
This is a measure of the percent of long-term residents who have received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be fatal for nursing home residents, making these vaccines important for resident well-being.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Sage Bluff Health & Rehab Center, 15.74% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients who needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of dependence on staff for assistance with activities of daily living may indicate the erosion of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Sage Bluff Health & Rehab Center, 15.7% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percentage of residents that remained mobile levels over time. Preserving mobility is often a good sign for residents' well-being.
In Sage Bluff Health & Rehab Center, 1.46 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of care. There is usually a correlation between keeping patients out of the hospital and the overall quality of long-term care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Sage Bluff Health & Rehab Center, 15.7 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is a correlation between staying out of the hospital and a nursing homes short-term rehabilitation performance.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Sage Bluff Health & Rehab Center, 11.29 Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. Staying out of the emergency room is one way to measure short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Sage Bluff Health & Rehab Center, 73.78% Percentage of Resident
This metric measures the percent of short-term residents that saw functional improvements.
Scores for Fort Wayne, IN
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Fort Wayne, Indiana has 25 other nursing homes
- Lutheran Hospital of IndianaAcute Care Hospitals 0.73 miles away7950 W Jefferson Blvd Fort Wayne Indiana 46804Proprietary(260) 435-7001
- St Joseph HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.21 miles away700 Broadway Fort Wayne Indiana 46802Proprietary(260) 425-3000
- Dupont Hospital LLCAcute Care Hospitals 11.37 miles away2520 E Dupont Rd Fort Wayne Indiana 46825Proprietary(260) 416-3000
- Orthopaedic Hospital at Parkview North LLCAcute Care Hospitals 12.15 miles away11130 Parkview Circle Dr Fort Wayne Indiana 46845Voluntary non-profit - Private(260) 672-4050
- Parkview Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 12.18 miles away11109 Parkview Plaza Drive Fort Wayne Indiana 46845Voluntary non-profit - Private(260) 266-1000
- Parkview Whitley HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 14.14 miles away1260 E Sr 205 Columbia City Indiana 46725Voluntary non-profit - Private(260) 248-9301
- Parkview Huntington HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 16.38 miles away2001 Stults Rd Huntington Indiana 46750Voluntary non-profit - Private(260) 355-3000
- Fmc - Northeast Indiana Kidney Ctr - Fort Wayne0.4 miles away7836 W. Jefferson Blvd., Suite ll10 Fort Wayne Indiana 46804CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (260) 432-4225
- Davita - Appleseed1.76 miles away1833 Magnavox Way Fort Wayne Indiana 46804Dialysis Stations: 4 (260) 432-1036
- Davita - Fort Wayne West2.64 miles away4916 Illinois Road, Suite 118 Fort Wayne Indiana 46804Dialysis Stations: 14 (260) 434-0483
- Randolph Dialysis, LLC3.93 miles away6721 Old Trail Road Fort Wayne Indiana 46809Dialysis Stations: 12 (260) 478-8582
- Davita - Fort Wayne South5.53 miles away302 E. Pettit Ave. Fort Wayne Indiana 46806CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (260) 456-0451
- Davita - Summit City Dialysis8.54 miles away3233 East Coliseum Blvd. Fort Wayne Indiana 46805CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (260) 373-1599
- Davita-Fort Wayne North Dialysis10.64 miles away415 E Dupont Road Fort Wayne Indiana 46825Dialysis Stations: 13 (260) 637-0431
- Fmc - Dupont Dialysis11.37 miles away10204 East Dupont Circle Drive Fort Wayne Indiana 46825CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (260) 489-9255