Rocky Mountain Care - Cottage on Vine is a small non-profit nursing home located in Salt Lake City, Utah. It looks like this facility is a relatively poor nursing home. A grade of this caliber indicates we found some red flags. Salt Lake City received a city grade of B, so there are other options in the city worth considering. More information on this facility's category grades may be found below. Its best category is nursing, which is discussed in the next paragraph.
Rocky Mountain Care - Cottage on Vine
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
835 East Vine Street,
Salt Lake City UT 84107
82.95% estimated occupancy 1
Note: Rocky Mountain Care - Cottage on Vine has been flagged for abuse in the past 12 months. We have capped this facility's overall grade accordingly.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
Although we did not rate this facility well overall, we want to point out its decent grade of B- in the category of nursing. Nursing scores are based in large part on levels of nurse staffing. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a much lower figure than we are used to seeing. Despite having low quantities of nursing care, this facility excelled in some of the quality-based metrics we assessed. In fact, it performed well in terms of minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care. In many cases, the quality of nursing care is as important as the number of hours of care offered.
Short-term Care Quality
This facility's second best area was its short-term care grade, where it received a B-. In our short-term care category, we endeavor to create a fair measure for rehabilitation. In this process, we assess the facility's levels of skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as respiratory therapy. Unfortunately, this nursing home was below average in terms of its quantity of registered nurse and physical therapy hours provided to its patients based on the metrics we assessed. The important question is whether this also affected quality of care. The final datapoint we considered in this area is the percentage of patients who were able to leave the nursing home and return to the community. We discovered that just 0 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home, which is actually below average.
Does this page answer your questions about Rocky Mountain Care - Cottage on Vine?
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home's next best category was long-term care. We gave it a B- in this category. This is essentially a slightly below average grade in this category. For long-term care residents, the facility's primary goal is to maintain patients' quality of life and keep them safe. One of the criteria we considered after nursing hours is vaccinations. Thankfully, this facility administered the pneumonia vaccine to 100 percent of its residents. This facility keeps its residents out of the hospital. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
In our last category of inspections, this facility received a horrible grade. With nursing homes that received this bad of an inspection score, we would scrutinize the severe deficiencies on its inspection report. This facility was hit with 6 deficiencies by CMS. The only favorable thing we can say is that none of its deficiencies were in the categories that indicate they created a risk to patient health or safety. Finally, this facility was cited by CMS for possible abuse or neglect. We would not recommend this facility under any circumstance.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Rocky Mountain Care - Cottage on Vine Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Rocky Mountain Care - Cottage on Vine, 6.23% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percentage of patients who sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are skin damage due to staying in the same position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Rocky Mountain Care - Cottage on Vine, 3.44% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percent of residents that suffered from a major fall. Falls leading to serious injuries are often associated with lower levels of patient supervision. Additional nurse staffing limits the number of major falls sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Rocky Mountain Care - Cottage on Vine, 2.54% of Patients had UTIs
This statistic measures the percentage of long-term patients which have sustained a urinary tract infection. UTI's may be a sign of worse hygiene protocols. However, this statistic can also be misleading for certain nursing homes due to inconsistent reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Rocky Mountain Care - Cottage on Vine, 15.2% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of residents given antipsychotic medications. Antipsychotic medications are given to residents for many conditions, including dementia. Unfortunately, in limited cases, excessive reliance on these medications may suggest that a facility is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Rocky Mountain Care - Cottage on Vine, 21.24% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This statistic measures the percentage of long-term patients taking antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Rocky Mountain Care - Cottage on Vine, 11.45% of Patients
This is the percent of patients showing symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Rocky Mountain Care - Cottage on Vine, 80.77% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term care patients who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Rocky Mountain Care - Cottage on Vine, 13.95% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients that needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Rocky Mountain Care - Cottage on Vine, 14.91% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term residents that retained mobility levels.
In Rocky Mountain Care - Cottage on Vine, 0.93 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is a measure of the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Rocky Mountain Care - Cottage on Vine, 14.91 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Rocky Mountain Care - Cottage on Vine, 71.49% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percentage of short-term patients who saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Higher levels of autonomy with activities of daily living generally correlates with better rehabilitation.
Scores for Salt Lake City, UT
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Salt Lake City, Utah has 14 other nursing homes
- Intermountain Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.66 miles away5121 South Cottonwood Street Salt Lake City Utah 84107Voluntary non-profit - Private(801) 507-7000
- St Mark's HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.96 miles away1200 East 3900 South Salt Lake City Utah 84124Proprietary(801) 268-7700
- Alta View HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.76 miles away9660 South 1300 East Sandy Utah 84094Voluntary non-profit - Private(801) 501-2600
- Jordan Valley Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.82 miles away3580 West 9000 South West Jordan Utah 84088Voluntary non-profit - Other(801) 561-8888
- Lone Peak HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.69 miles away11925 South State Street Draper Utah 84020Proprietary(801) 545-8000
- Salt Lake Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.61 miles away1050 East South Temple Salt Lake City Utah 84102Proprietary(801) 350-4111
- Primary Childrens HospitalChildrens 8.86 miles away100 North Mario Capecchi Drive Salt Lake City Utah 84113Voluntary non-profit - Private(801) 662-6212
- University of Utah Hospitals and ClinicsAcute Care Hospitals 8.93 miles away50 North Medical Drive Salt Lake City Utah 84132Government - State(801) 581-2121
- Intermountain Medical Center Dialysis Services1.81 miles away74 West Vine Street Salt Lake City Utah 84107CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 28 (801) 507-9000
- Fresenius Kidney Care Wasatch3.34 miles away3702 South State Street, Suite 101 Salt Lake City Utah 84115CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (801) 904-4407
- South Valley Dialysis Center3.86 miles away8750 S Sandy Pkwy Sandy Utah 84070Dialysis Stations: 17 (801) 233-8745
- West Valley Dialysis Clinic3.9 miles away3854 W 5400 S Salt Lake City Utah 84129CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (801) 969-6801
- Oquirrh Artificial Kidney Center4.76 miles away5320 South 2700 West Salt Lake City Utah 84129CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (801) 417-9900
- South Mountain Dialysis6.85 miles away10969 S Riverfront Pkwy Ste 100 South Jordan Utah 84095Dialysis Stations: 16 (801) 253-9696
- Liberty Dialysis West Jordan (Fmc)7.15 miles away3823 W 9000 S Ste D West Jordan Utah 84088Dialysis Stations: 13 (801) 280-4600
- Utah Dialysis Lab7.22 miles away1000 S Main St Ste 105 Salt Lake City Utah 84101Dialysis Stations: 19 (801) 408-1400