Deaconess Abundant Life Services is a large non-profit facility located in Concord, Massachusetts. This nursing home turns out to be an A+ facility. Being awarded an A+ in our rating scheme requires excellent scores across the board. We were so impressed with this nursing home that we rated it as one of the top 25 nursing homes in Massachusetts. Scroll down to find this facility's category ratings, which are also impressive. It would be hard to poke holes in this facility's profile.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Deaconess Abundant Life Services
- Nursing Home
- Home Health Agency
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Concord senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Top Nursing Home in Massachusetts Awards 2020
Top Nursing Home in Massachusetts Awards 2021
Registered Staff Hours
Long-term Care Quality
One of the many reasons this turned out to be a great nursing home is that it received an A+ long-term care grade. This is simply as good as it gets in this category. Nursing homes that do well in this category typically provide residents with more supervision and stay on top of routine healthcare services. On top of considering the quantity of care provided by aids and other staff, we also looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This facility vaccinated 98.26087 percent of its residents, which is what we like to see. Pneumonia sadly can be a dangerous health condition for nursing home patients so we like it when a nursing home does not leave this to chance. Finally, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had only 0.02 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
One of the other reasons we graded this facility so highly is that it received a very impressive nursing score. In that area, we gave this nursing home an A+. Nursing scores are heavily correlated with quantity of nursing care available. This nursing home averages 0.5 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed several nursing quality-based metrics and this place excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any nursing home the country in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can many times be prevented by providing better nursing care, such as employing a policy of moving residents more often.
Does this page answer your questions about Deaconess Abundant Life Services?
This nursing home has had near flawless inspections in recent years. We awarded them an A in this area. Perhaps the most significant factor we look at in computing our inspection scores is deficiencies. These deficiencies can be found on a facility's inspection reports. Facilities with better scores in this area typically dodged the most severe deficiencies involving health risks or even death. This particular nursing home had just a single deficiency on its inspection report and it was not one deemed to pose a threat to patient health or safety. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Short-term Care Quality
In our final area, we awarded this facility a grade of A for our short-term care score. This rounded out a first-rate report card. Short-term care ratings are meaningful for prospective residents in need of rehabilitation. Rehabilitation generally mandates more highly-skilled nursing services. This means a wide spectrum of nursing services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and occupational therapists, as well as other types of therapy. Fortunately, it appear that this facility has registered nurses on staff. Not every nursing home employs these types of nurses. However, based on the data they provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. The last datapoint we considered in this area is the number of patients who were able to leave the facility and return home. We found that 3.6 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Deaconess Abundant Life Services Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Deaconess Abundant Life Services, 6.61% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of patients that suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be a measure of nursing care . Pressure ulcers, which are also known as bed sores, are routinely caused by patients staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Deaconess Abundant Life Services, 3.77% of Patients had Serious Falls
This datapoint indicates the percent of long-term residents who suffered a fall resulting in serious injury. Falls can arise for a variety of reasons, but high rates of falls resulting in injuries could be an indicator of lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Deaconess Abundant Life Services, 2.05% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of patients that sustained a urinary tract infection. These infections could be linked to poorer hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Deaconess Abundant Life Services, 19.24% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This datapoint indicates the percentage of long-term stay residents receiving antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs serve an important medical purpose, it is important to confirm these medications are being used appropriately. In some situations, excessive reliance on these medications may mean that a nursing home is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Deaconess Abundant Life Services, 18.54% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients who were prescribed antianxiety medication. These medications are used to treat residents suffering from depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Deaconess Abundant Life Services, 2.48% of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients who are demonstrating symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Deaconess Abundant Life Services, 91.39% of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents that have received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Deaconess Abundant Life Services, 16.21% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients who needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of dependence on staff for assistance with ADL's may indicate decline of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Deaconess Abundant Life Services, 15.75% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percent of patients that remained mobile levels over time. Optimizing mobility can be a great sign for residents' health.
In Deaconess Abundant Life Services, 1.68 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Deaconess Abundant Life Services, 15.75 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Deaconess Abundant Life Services, 11.2 Percentage of Patients
Measures the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term care. Avoiding medical emergencies is one way to measure short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Deaconess Abundant Life Services, 71.52% Percentage of Resident
This is the percent of short-term care residents who saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
- Emerson Hospital -Acute Care Hospitals 0.16 miles away133 Old Road to 9 Acre Corner Concord Massachusetts 01742Voluntary non-profit - Private(978) 369-1400
- Lahey Hospital & Medical Center, BurlingtonAcute Care Hospitals 9.03 miles away41 & 45 Mall Road Burlington Massachusetts 01803Voluntary non-profit - Private(781) 744-5100
- Newton-Wellesley HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.46 miles away2014 Washington Street Newton Lower Falls Massachusetts 02462Voluntary non-profit - Other(617) 243-6000
- Marlborough HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.25 miles away157 Union Street Marlborough Massachusetts 01752Voluntary non-profit - Private(508) 481-5000
- Metrowest Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 11.87 miles away115 Lincoln Street Framingham Massachusetts 01701Voluntary non-profit - Private(508) 383-1000
- Winchester HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 12.92 miles away41 Highland Avenue Winchester Massachusetts 01890Voluntary non-profit - Private(781) 729-9000
- Nashoba Valley Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 13.11 miles away200 Groton Road Ayer Massachusetts 01432Proprietary(978) 784-9000
- Mount Auburn HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 13.23 miles away330 Mount Auburn Street Cambridge Massachusetts 02138Voluntary non-profit - Private(617) 492-3500
- Dci Walden Pond1.14 miles away56 B Winthrop Street Concord Massachusetts 01742Dialysis Stations: 13 (978) 369-1683
- The Dialysis Center at Waltham9.43 miles away135 Beaver Street, Suite 111 Waltham Massachusetts 02452Dialysis Stations: 14 (781) 642-0331
- Davita Burlington Regional Dialysis9.95 miles away31 Mall Road-Dialysis Suite 1b Burlington Massachusetts 01803CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (781) 270-3580
- Fresenius Medical Care Chelmsford10.42 miles away27 Industrial Ave Chelmsford Massachusetts 01824Dialysis Stations: 16 (978) 250-0981
- Davita Woburn Dialysis11.39 miles away23 Warren Avenue Woburn Massachusetts 01801Dialysis Stations: 17 (781) 935-7700
- Wellesley Dialysis11.4 miles away195 Worcester Street Lower Level Wellesley Hills Massachusetts 02481Dialysis Stations: 18 (781) 431-1414
- Davita Northeast Cambridge Dialysis11.76 miles away799 Concord Avenue Cambridge Massachusetts 02138CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (617) 547-7700
- Fresenius Medical Care Framingham11.81 miles away110 Mt. Wayte Ave. Framingham Massachusetts 01702CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (508) 628-3801