River Garden Hebrew Home for the Aged is in the large metropolitan area of Jacksonville, Florida which has a population of 810,498 people. Sporting an overall rating of A+, this nursing home is undoubtedly a superb facility. In fact, this facility made our top 500 list of the best facilities in the United States, which is an exclusive subset of nursing homes. This also proved to be a very consistent facility with consistently strong grades in all of the major categories. Additional information about these categories is available below.
River Garden Hebrew Home for the Aged
Updated May 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
11401 Old Saint Augustine Rd,
Jacksonville FL 32258
70.77% estimated occupancy 1
Registered Staff Hours
One of the many reasons this turned out to be a quality nursing home is that it received an A+ inspection grade. This is simply as good as it gets in this critical category. Our inspection grades are tied to pieces of information located in the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Facilities that receive favorable grades in this area typically have few deficiencies on those reports. Most importantly, these facilities generally do not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with endangerment of patients. While this nursing home had a few deficiencies on its report, none were major deficiencies based on CMS' deficiency scale. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
We also gave this nursing home a grade of A+ for its long-term care grade. When facilities receive a grade in this range in long-term care it generally means it has plenty of staff and is an overall good place to reside on a permanent basis. One of the datapoints we considered after this nursing home's above average nursing hours was vaccinations. This nursing home provided the pneumonia vaccine to 100 percent of its patients. Vaccines are a great way to avoid unnecessary deaths for seniors. Finally, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. With only 1.17 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, this facility has less hospitalizations than the average nursing home.
Does this page answer your questions about River Garden Hebrew Home for the Aged?
Short-term Care Quality
Contributing to its remarkable profile, this nursing home also was given a strong short-term care score, with a score of A. Short-term care grades are vital for patients looking for rehabilitation. Rehabilitation generally mandates additional skilled nursing services. This means a vast scope of services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and respiratory therapists, as well as other forms of therapy. Remarkably, this nursing home provides about 50% more services from physical therapists and registered nurses than most nursing homes we looked at. This is a very favorable sign. The last statistic we assessed in this area is the percentage of patients who were able to return home from the facility. We found that it performed as well as just about any nursing home in Florida in this area with 58.4 percent of its patients returning home. For most facilities, fewer than half of their short-term residents are able to return home.
In our last category, we gave this facility an A+ for our nursing rating. This completed a very strong report card. Our nursing grade is largely based on the facility's nurse staffing. This nursing home provided 4.9 hours of nursing care per patient each day. This was one of the highest figures we found. In addition, a significant portion of this care was provided by registered nurses, which are highly skilled nurses. These are both really impressive figures. On top of providing high levels of nursing care, this facility also excelled in several of the quality measures we assessed. With less than 5 percent of its patients suffering from pressure ulcers, it fared as well as any place the state in this category. This is generally a good indicator that a nursing home has reliable quality controls in place. Many pressure ulcers could be prevented by providing better nursing care and having a policy of turning patients more often.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
River Garden Hebrew Home for the Aged Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In River Garden Hebrew Home for the Aged, 9.04% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percent of residents who have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be a barometer of nursing care . Pressure ulcers, which are also referred to as bed sores, are often caused by patients not being moved frequently enough.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In River Garden Hebrew Home for the Aged, 2.8% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percentage of patients who suffered from a major fall. Falls leading to major injuries are routinely linked to lower levels of patient supervision. Closer supervision can limit the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain major falls.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In River Garden Hebrew Home for the Aged, 1.81% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of residents that have had a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be a barometer of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. UTI's are often associated with poor nursing care. Nevertheless, this datapoint may also be skewed for some nursing homes due to inconsistent reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In River Garden Hebrew Home for the Aged, 11% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percentage of patients given antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic medications may be helpful for many residents, it is important to ensure these drugs are being used only where medically required. In limited cases, excessive reliance on these medications may mean that a facility is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In River Garden Hebrew Home for the Aged, 21.46% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This statistic tells you the percentage of long-term residents receiving antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In River Garden Hebrew Home for the Aged, 2.43% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term patients exhibiting signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In River Garden Hebrew Home for the Aged, 95.03% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients who were given the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In River Garden Hebrew Home for the Aged, 13.16% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents who required more assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In River Garden Hebrew Home for the Aged, 18.15% Percentage of Residents
This is the percentage of patients who remained mobile levels over time. Optimizing mobility is usually a good sign for residents' health.
In River Garden Hebrew Home for the Aged, 1.59 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This datapoint measures the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care. Staying out of the hospital is key to the physical health of residents.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In River Garden Hebrew Home for the Aged, 18.15 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term care. There is generally a correlation between reduced hospitalizations and a nursing home's quality of short-term rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In River Garden Hebrew Home for the Aged, 9.19 Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In River Garden Hebrew Home for the Aged, 77.65% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of short-term care residents who experienced functional improvements.
Scores for Jacksonville, FL
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Jacksonville, Florida has 30 other nursing homes
- Nh JacksonvilleAcute Care - Department of Defense 5.75 miles away2080 Child Street Jacksonville Florida 32212Department of Defense(904) 542-7300
- Ascension St Vincent's SouthsideAcute Care Hospitals 6.19 miles away4201 Belfort Rd Jacksonville Florida 32216Voluntary non-profit - Private(904) 296-3700
- Orange Park Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.24 miles away2001 Kingsley Ave Orange Park Florida 32073Voluntary non-profit - Other(904) 276-8500
- Memorial Hospital JacksonvilleAcute Care Hospitals 8.45 miles away3625 University Blvd S Jacksonville Florida 32216Proprietary(904) 702-6111
- Baptist Medical Center JacksonvilleAcute Care Hospitals 10.97 miles away800 Prudential Dr Jacksonville Florida 32207Voluntary non-profit - Private(904) 202-2000
- Ascension St Vincent's RiversideAcute Care Hospitals 11.02 miles away1 Shircliff Way Jacksonville Florida 32204Voluntary non-profit - Private(904) 308-7300
- Mayo ClinicAcute Care Hospitals 12.11 miles away4500 San Pablo Rd Jacksonville Florida 32224Voluntary non-profit - Private(904) 953-2000
- Uf Health JacksonvilleAcute Care Hospitals 12.97 miles away655 W 8th St Jacksonville Florida 32209Voluntary non-profit - Private(904) 244-0411
- Fmc - Mandarin3.03 miles away9143 Philips Hwy Suite 110 Jacksonville Florida 32256Dialysis Stations: 16 (904) 538-0270
- Taskett Dialysis, LLC4.22 miles away8021 Philips Highway Suite 15 Jacksonville Florida 32256Dialysis Stations: 16 (904) 636-9652
- Jacksonville South Dialysis Center4.97 miles away14965 Old St Augustine Rd Unit 114 Jacksonville Florida 32258CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (904) 880-9494
- Dialysis Clinic Inc of Southpoint6.22 miles away11705 San Jose Blvd Suite 100 Jacksonville Florida 32223CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (904) 296-6362
- Fresenius Kidney Care Orange Park North6.32 miles away2010 Wells Pond Court Orange Park Florida 32073Dialysis Stations: 13 (904) 264-1101
- Northeast Florida Dialysis Center6.32 miles away2141 Loch Rand Blvd #113 Orange Park Florida 32073CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (904) 272-7331
- Kidney Kare of Jacksonville, Inc6.44 miles away4168 Southpoint Parkway Suite 103 Jacksonville Florida 32216Dialysis Stations: 8 (904) 332-8004
- Nxstage Kidney Care - Jacksonville6.85 miles away2777 University Blvd W #39 Jacksonville Florida 32217Dialysis Stations: 10 (904) 527-5322