Located in Canton, Michigan, Regency at Canton is one of just two nursing homes in the area. Featuring an overall rating of D, this is a lower end facility. This place seems to have very little working in its favor. The best thing we can really say about this facility is that it didn't receive any F's in in any of the major categories. More information about its category grades is available below.
Regency at Canton
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
Note: Regency at Canton has been flagged for abuse in the past 12 months. We have capped this facility's overall grade accordingly.
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
Registered Staff Hours
While we did not have many favorable things to say about this facility's overall grade, it did receive a respectable nursing grade of B-. In calculating a facility's nursing grade, we weigh the number of hours nurses spend with patients and the skill levels of those nurses. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a much lower figure than we are used to seeing. Lastly, despite not having the most impressive total nursing hours per resident, this facility actually performed admirably in the metric of preventing major falls. This is often an indicator that a place has sufficient quality controls in place.
Short-term Care Quality
One of this facility's more respectable category grades was in the area of short-term care. This ended up being its second most favorable category. In that category, we gave this facility a B-. In crafting our short-term care ratings, we look at the nursing home's skilled nursing services, such as those performed by registered nurses, occupational therapists, physical therapists and other types of skilled professionals. Our goal is to devise a measure for comparing the rehabilitation services of various nursing homes. In this facility's case, we were surprised to learn that it actually provides less registered nurse and physical therapist hours per resident than the average facility. The hope is that this does not adversely impact the quality of care. Lastly, we considered the percentage of patients who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that 6.5 percent of this facility's residents returned home. At most nursing homes, closer to half of their residents are able to return home so this figure is below average.
Does this page answer your questions about Regency at Canton?
This facility received mediocre inspections in recent years. We gave them a C in this category. Inspection ratings weigh several factors, including deficiencies and federal fines. You can learn more about each of these items by obtaining copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. This particular nursing home had just a single deficiency on its inspection report and it was not one deemed to pose a threat to patient health or safety. Lastly, this facility was flagged by CMS for possible abuse or neglect. We prefer to avoid facilities with this designation. Please do your best to find an alternative nursing home.
Long-term Care Quality
Our last area is long-term care, in which we gave this facility a C in that category. Long-term care scores are vital for people in need of personal care. Once we assessed the volume of care provided by nurses, we next considered the facility's vaccination data. We were optimistic to find that this facility vaccinated 94.96403 percent of its residents against pneumonia. This facility was able to keep its patients out of the hospital. It had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Regency at Canton Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Regency at Canton, 8.85% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of patients that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also referred to as bed sores, are often the result of residents not being moved frequently enough. Better nursing care limits the number of pressure ulcers sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Regency at Canton, 2.88% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percent of patients that have had a major fall. Falls resulting in serious injury are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be a barometer of nursing care at a nursing home. Falls are routinely the result of lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Regency at Canton, 2.36% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of patients that sustained a urinary tract infection. These infections may be linked to insufficient hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Regency at Canton, 13.01% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percent of patients given antipsychotic drugs. Antipsychotic drugs are administered to residents for many medical conditions, such as Alzheimer's or other dementias. Unfortunately, in limited situations, increased usage of these drugs may mean a facility is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Regency at Canton, 18.73% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This datapoint is an indication of the percent of long-term patients which were prescribed antianxiety medication. These medications are generally prescribed to patients experiencing depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Regency at Canton, 3.47% of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term stay residents who are exhibiting depressive symptoms. Many believe that this is a reliable measure of quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Regency at Canton, 91.4% of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients that were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Regency at Canton, 12.4% Percentage of Patients
This is the percentage of residents who needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Regency at Canton, 19.67% Percentage of Residents
This is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents who maintained mobility. Many believe that mobility is important for patients mental and physical well-being.
In Regency at Canton, 1.35 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care. There is usually a correlation between reduced hospitalizations and the overall quality of long-term care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Regency at Canton, 19.67 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric measures the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term resident care. Minimizing rehospitalizations during rehabilitation is critical to restoring the health of residents.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Regency at Canton, 10.71 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Regency at Canton, 76.5% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percentage of short-term stay patients that saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
- Beaumont Hospital - WayneAcute Care Hospitals 6.31 miles away33155 Annapolis Ave Wayne Michigan 48184Voluntary non-profit - Private(734) 467-4175
- Forest Health Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.37 miles away135 S Prospect St Ypsilanti Michigan 48198Government - Hospital District or Authority(734) 547-4700
- St Joseph Mercy HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.74 miles away5301 E Huron River Dr Ann Arbor Michigan 48106Voluntary non-profit - Church(734) 712-3456
- St Mary Mercy HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.36 miles away36475 Five Mile Road Livonia Michigan 48154Voluntary non-profit - Private(734) 655-4800
- Garden City HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.84 miles away6245 Inkster Rd Garden City Michigan 48135Voluntary non-profit - Private(734) 421-3300
- Beaumont Hospital - TaylorAcute Care Hospitals 11.58 miles away10000 Telegraph Road Taylor Michigan 48180Voluntary non-profit - Private(313) 295-5253
- University of Michigan Health SystemAcute Care Hospitals 12.19 miles away1500 E Medical Center Drive, Spc 5474 Ann Arbor Michigan 48109Voluntary non-profit - Private(734) 764-1505
- Beaumont Hospital - DearbornAcute Care Hospitals 14.17 miles away18101 Oakwood Blvd Dearborn Michigan 48124Voluntary non-profit - Private(313) 593-7125
- Fms - Sheldon Corners3.42 miles away6064 N Sheldon Rd Canton Michigan 48187CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (734) 207-6219
- Nehall Dialysis LLC3.76 miles away10850 Belleville Rd Belleville Michigan 48111Dialysis Stations: 12 (734) 697-7604
- Michigan Dialysis Services, LLC4.28 miles away275 N Canton Center Rd Canton Michigan 48187Dialysis Stations: 13 (734) 844-0108
- Westland Dialysis of Davita5.61 miles away36588 Ford Rd Westland Michigan 48185CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (734) 721-1030
- Fmc Dialysis - Romulus6.75 miles away11200 Metro Airport Center Dr Ste 120 Romulus Michigan 48174Dialysis Stations: 14 (734) 955-7333
- Davita - Garden West7.18 miles away5715 N Venoy Rd Westland Michigan 48185CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (734) 261-9418
- Davita - Romulus7.33 miles away31470 Ecorse Rd Romulus Michigan 48174Dialysis Stations: 12 (734) 722-5455
- Bio-Medical Applications of Michigan, Inc.7.61 miles away1266 Anna J Stepp Dr Ypsilanti Michigan 48197Dialysis Stations: 13 (734) 482-6901