Rady Children's Convalescent Hospital D/P Snf is just one of 19 nursing homes in San Diego, California. This facility is one of the most elite facilities we assessed. Receiving an A+ in our rating system requires superb marks across the board. In addition, this facility is based in a hospital, which can often mean the facility offers a wider array of healthcare services. Finally, this worked out to be a very consistent nursing home with consistently strong grades in each of the major categories we assessed. More information about these categories can be found below.
Rady Children's Convalescent Hospital D/P Snf
- Nursing Home
- For Children
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
Top Nursing Home in California Awards 2019
Best Nursing Home in California Awards 2020
Best Nursing Home in San Diego, California Awards 2020
Best Nursing Home in California Awards 2021
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to being a great facility overall, it also earned A+ government inspections recently. Its inspections were nearly perfect. We take several aspects of a facility's inspection report into consideration in computing our inspection ratings. One of those factors is health deficiencies. It should be noted that the severity of deficiencies is usually more meaningful than the number of deficiencies, as some of these are relatively minor. This facility was hit with 2 deficiencies on its inspection report, but none were considered severe. This indicates that the government inspectors did not deem any of the deficiencies to create an immediate threat to resident safety or health. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Another reason we rated this nursing home so highly is that it received an A+ nursing grade. This is simply as good as it gets in this category. When calculating our nursing scores, we assess both nursing hours and the training levels of the nurses. This nursing home provides 0.8 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This nursing home performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a place has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can often be avoided if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Does this page answer your questions about Rady Children's Convalescent Hospital D/P Snf?
Long-term Care Quality
In the next category we assessed, this nursing home was given high marks in the area of long-term care. For this reason, it received one of our highest grades in that category with a of A+. When nursing homes receive this kind of score in long-term care it is a good sign for patient care and suggests that the place is well-staffed with nurses aids. On top of looking at the quantity of care provided by nurses and other staff, we looked at the number of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This facility administered the vaccine to 98.78049 percent of its residents. Vaccines are vital to keeping residents healthy. Clearly, this nursing home is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its residents out of the hospital. In fact, it had only 0 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Short-term Care Quality
Moving on to our fourth category, this nursing home also excelled in the short-term care category. We awarded it an A for this area. This topped off truly elite report card. Our short-term care grade is often used to measure a nursing home's performance with rehabilitation. In order to offer highly rated rehabilitation services, facilities generally must have better levels of skilled nursing services. Skilled nursing includes registered nurses, physical therapists, occupational therapists and other highly trained professionals. Fortunately, it appear that this facility employs registered nurses. Not all facilities employs these types of nurses. However, based on the data this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. The last metric we considered in this category is the number of residents who were able to leave the facility and return to the community. We discovered that 0 percent of this nursing home's residents were able to return home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Rady Children's Convalescent Hospital D/P Snf Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Rady Children's Convalescent Hospital D/P Snf, 7.45% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients who developed new or worsened pressure ulcers. We have found that pressure ulcers are a solid measure of quality of care.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Rady Children's Convalescent Hospital D/P Snf, 1.7% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percent of long-term stay patients who sustained a fall resulting in serious injury. We use this statistic in determining our nursing scores.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Rady Children's Convalescent Hospital D/P Snf, 1.24% of Patients had UTIs
This figure tells you the percentage of long-term patients that experienced urinary tract infections. UTI's could be a sign of a nursing home with worse hygiene protocols. However, this metric may be skewed for certain nursing homes due to different reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Rady Children's Convalescent Hospital D/P Snf, 10.1% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This metric indicates the percent of long-term stay patients receiving antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic drugs play an important role in caring for many residents, it is important to confirm these drugs are being used appropriately. In some cases, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may suggest that a nursing home is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Rady Children's Convalescent Hospital D/P Snf, 13.85% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percent of long-term residents who were given antianxiety medication. These drugs are given to residents experiencing depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Rady Children's Convalescent Hospital D/P Snf, 4.64% of Patients
This is the percentage of residents who are showing symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Rady Children's Convalescent Hospital D/P Snf, 95.44% of Patients
This is the percent of patients who were administered the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Scores for San Diego, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? San Diego, California has 18 other nursing homes
- Sharp Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 0.24 miles away7901 Frost St San Diego California 92123Voluntary non-profit - Private(858) 939-3400
- Uc San Diego Health Hillcrest - Hillcrest Med CtrAcute Care Hospitals 3.18 miles away200 West Arbor Drive San Diego California 92103Voluntary non-profit - Other(619) 543-6222
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital - ZionAcute Care Hospitals 3.23 miles away4647 Zion Ave San Diego California 92120Voluntary non-profit - Private(619) 528-5000
- Scripps Mercy HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.29 miles away4077 5th Ave San Diego California 92103Voluntary non-profit - Private(619) 294-8111
- Nmc San DiegoAcute Care - Department of Defense 4.97 miles away34800 Bob Wilson Drive San Diego California 92134Department of Defense(619) 532-6400
- Alvarado Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.71 miles away6655 Alvarado Road San Diego California 92120Proprietary(619) 229-3172
- Sharp Coronado Hospital and Hlthcr CtrAcute Care Hospitals 7.22 miles away250 Prospect Place Coronado California 92118Proprietary(619) 435-6251
- Scripps Memorial Hospital La JollaAcute Care Hospitals 7.42 miles away9888 Genesee Avenue La Jolla California 92037Physician(858) 626-4123
- Fmc-Balboa Kearny Mesa Dialysis Center1.04 miles away7927 Ostrow Street, Suite A San Diego California 92111CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 28 (858) 571-0232
- Childrens Hospital of San Diego1.34 miles away3020 Childrens Way, Mc 5115 San Diego California 92123Dialysis Stations: 5 (858) 966-8882
- Fmc-Hillcrest Dialysis3.43 miles away3960 Third Avenue San Diego California 92103CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (619) 299-3900
- Fmc-Rai-Mission Gorge San Diego3.48 miles away7007 Mission Gorge Road, 1st Floor San Diego California 92120CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 33 (619) 229-1070
- Fmc-Dialysis Services of College5.66 miles away5961 University Avenue Suite 317 San Diego California 92115CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (619) 286-0821
- Ucsd Dialysis Center5.71 miles awayUcsd Dialysis Center - 200 W. Arbor Drive Dialysis Program, Mail Code 8781 San Diego California 92103CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (619) 543-5646
- Davita-San Diego South Dialysis6.19 miles away995 Gateway Center Way, Suite 101 San Diego California 92102CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (619) 262-1960
- Fmc-Gateway Dialysis Center-East6.25 miles away720 Gateway Center Drive, Suite B San Diego California 92102CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (619) 264-4100