Plum Tree Care Center is one of seven available nursing homes in San Jose, California. This proved to be an A rated facility. It was given one of the best grades that we offer. A score in this range requires excellent marks across the board. This nursing home turned out to be one of the better nursing homes in San Jose, which has a decent selection of nursing homes. This facility also received consistently good ratings in all of the major categories we assessed. Additional information about its category grades is available below.
Plum Tree Care Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
2580 Samaritan Drive,
San Jose CA 95124
70.92% estimated occupancy 1
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Meal Delivery
- Speech Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Peritoneal Dialysis
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
In addition to faring well overall, this nursing home received high marks in the category of short-term care as well. It received our highest grade in that category with an A+. Our short-term care grades are thought to be most critical for residents requiring a nursing home for rehabilitation. Rehabilitation usually requires more skilled nursing. This includes not just nursing, but also physical and speech therapy, as well as other variations of therapy. Fortunately, it appear that this facility has registered nurses on staff. Not every nursing home employs these skilled professionals. On the other hand, according to the information this nursing home provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. The last metric we looked at in this area is the number of residents who ultimately returned home from the facility. We found that 6.1 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home as opposed to remaining at the nursing home on a permanent basis.
This nursing home also received an A+ nursing grade, making it one of the few nursing homes to receive multiple A+ category grades. Nursing ratings are largely tied to the nursing home's nurse staffing. This nursing home provides 0.5 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing grades. This nursing home performed very well in terms of avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Does this page answer your questions about Plum Tree Care Center?
Another impressive feature of this facility is its inspection grade. In that area, we awarded this facility a grade of A-. Arguably the most important factor we consider in determining our inspection scores is deficiencies. These deficiencies are found on a nursing home's inspection reports. Nursing homes with higher scores in this area typically avoided the more severe deficiencies involving things like patient abuse. Although this facility had a few deficiencies on its inspection report, none were serious based on CMS' scale. A couple relatively minor dings aren't the end of the world.
Long-term Care Quality
In the final category we rated, this facility received a very strong grade of B+ in our long-term care category. With this score, the nursing home topped off a first-rate report card. Nursing homes that do well in this category typically provide patients with more supervision and stay on top of routine medical care. In addition to assessing the volume of care provided by aids and other staff, we looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This nursing home provided the vaccine to 100 percent of its patients. Vaccines are vital to keeping patients healthy. Finally, this nursing home was able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had only 0.02 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Plum Tree Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Plum Tree Care Center, 7.79% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percent of residents that suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered by many experts to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care . Pressure ulcers, which are also called bed sores, are often caused by patients not being moved frequently enough.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Plum Tree Care Center, 1.84% of Patients had Serious Falls
This metric measures the percentage of long-term patients who experienced a fall resulting in serious injury. Falls can arise for a variety of reasons, but high rates of falls resulting in injuries may be a sign of lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Plum Tree Care Center, 1.34% of Patients had UTIs
This metric gauges the percentage of long-term stay residents that sustained a UTI. While a higher rate infections could reflect poorly on a facility's nursing care, it can be difficult to compare different nursing homes due to facilities having varying reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Plum Tree Care Center, 10.3% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This statistic gauges the percent of long-term care patients who were administered antipsychotic drugs. High levels of antipsychotic drug use may mean a facility is using these medications to subdue residents in scenarios where such medications are not medically indicated. However, some nursing homes need to rely on these medications due to an increased number of residents with dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Plum Tree Care Center, 13.84% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This datapoint gauges the percentage of long-term stay residents taking antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Plum Tree Care Center, 5.83% of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents who are showing symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Plum Tree Care Center, 95.65% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term patients that received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be fatal for seniors, making these vaccines critical to patient care.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Plum Tree Care Center, 8.26% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients that required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Plum Tree Care Center, 10.41% Percentage of Residents
This is a measure of the percent of long-term care patients who remained mobile levels.
In Plum Tree Care Center, 1.78 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care. There is typically a correlation between avoiding hospitalizations and the overall quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Plum Tree Care Center, 10.41 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Plum Tree Care Center, 11.34 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is a correlation between keeping patients out of the emergency room and the overall quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Plum Tree Care Center, 79.12% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percent of short-term stay patients that saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. High levels of independence with ADL's typically correlates with higher quality rehabilitation.
Scores for San Jose, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? San Jose, California has 6 other nursing homes
- Good Samaritan HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 0.29 miles away2425 Samaritan Drive San Jose California 95124Proprietary(408) 559-2011
- Santa Clara Valley Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.32 miles away751 South Bascom Avenue San Jose California 95128Government - Local(408) 885-5000
- O'connor HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.18 miles away2105 Forest Avenue San Jose California 95128Voluntary non-profit - Private(408) 947-2500
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital-Santa ClaraAcute Care Hospitals 6.27 miles away700 Lawrence Expressway Santa Clara California 95051Voluntary non-profit - Private(408) 236-6400
- Kaiser Permanente Psychiatric Health Facility-SantPsychiatric 6.53 miles away3840 Homestead Road Santa Clara California 95051Proprietary(408) 851-4850
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital-San JoseAcute Care Hospitals 8.23 miles away250 Hospital Parkway San Jose California 95119Voluntary non-profit - Private(408) 972-7000
- Regional Medical Center of San JoseAcute Care Hospitals 9.41 miles away225 N Jackson Avenue San Jose California 95116Government - Federal(408) 259-5000
- El Camino HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.76 miles away2500 Grant Road Mountain View California 94040Government - Hospital District or Authority(650) 940-7000
- Fmc Los Gatos0.35 miles away14651 South Bascom Suite 100 Los Gatos California 95032CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (408) 358-3791
- Los Gatos Dialysis Center0.7 miles away14251 Winchester Blvd Suite 100 Los Gatos California 95032Dialysis Stations: 16 (408) 370-6756
- Satellite Dialysis Los Gatos2.19 miles away53 Los Gatos Saratoga Road Los Gatos California 95032Dialysis Stations: 17 (408) 458-4460
- Satellite Healthcare Blossom Valley3.29 miles away1450 Kooser Road San Jose California 95118Dialysis Stations: 25 (408) 440-3260
- Wellbound of San Jose LLC3.64 miles away1525 Meridian Avenue Suite 101 San Jose California 95125Dialysis Stations: 4 (408) 269-3600
- Satellite Healthcare San Jose4.16 miles away888 South Bascom Avenue San Jose California 95128CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (408) 855-6900
- Santa Clara Valley Renal Care Center4.47 miles away2220 Moorpark Avenue San Jose California 95128CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (408) 885-5730
- Satellite Dialysis Stevens Creek5.09 miles away4360-a Stevens Creek Blvd San Jose California 95129CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 42 (408) 517-5777