Piners Nursing Home is in Napa, California. Featuring an overall score of B+, this nursing home should work for most prospective residents. In our view, this facility is a good fit for quite a few people. This nursing home's impressive report card was highlighted by its nursing score, which is addressed in the next section.
Piners Nursing Home
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Medication Management
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to receiving a strong overall grade, this nursing home performed well in our nursing category. In fact, we gave it an A for that category, which is one of our highest scores. Our nursing grade analyzes the nursing home's nurse staffing levels. We consider both the levels of training of those nurses as well as the number of hours spent with patients. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Lastly, we also looked at some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing grades. This nursing home performed very well when it comes to avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Short-term Care Quality
Among the reasons we rated this facility so highly is that it was awarded a strong short-term care grade. Indeed, short-term care ended up being its second most impressive category score. In that area, we awarded this facility a score of A. Our short-term care grade is generally used to judge a nursing home's rehabilitation services. In order to provide highly graded rehabilitation services, nursing homes generally need to feature better levels of skilled nursing services. Skilled nursing includes registered nurses, physical therapists, occupational therapists and other licensed professionals. Fortunately, it looks like this nursing home employs registered nurses. Not every facility employs these skilled professionals. On the other hand, based on the data they provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. The last datapoint we assessed in this category is the number of residents that ultimately returned home from the nursing home. We found that 5.9 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home as opposed to remaining at the facility on a permanent basis.
Does this page answer your questions about Piners Nursing Home?
Long-term Care Quality
The third category we analyzed was long-term care. This nursing home was awarded a very positive long-term care score, with a grade of B+ in the area. Long-term care grades of this caliber generally require both around the clock care from nurses and aids, as well as quality routine healthcare services. On top of assessing the volume of care provided by aids and other staff, we looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This nursing home vaccinated 100 percent of its residents. Vaccines are critical to keeping patients out of the hospital. Lastly, this nursing home was able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had only 0.01 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Turning to our inspection category, it appears this nursing home has earned quality inspections in recent years as well. We gave it a B- in this area. We take several aspects of a facility's inspection report into consideration in determining our inspection ratings. One of those factors is health deficiencies. You should keep in mind that the severity of these deficiencies is usually more important than the number of deficiencies, as some end up being relatively insignificant. This facility was assessed 2 deficiencies on its inspection report, but none of the deficiencies were considered to be severe. This means that the inspectors did not consider any of the deficiencies to pose an immediate risk to resident safety or health. A couple relatively minor dings are not necessarily something to panic about.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Piners Nursing Home Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Piners Nursing Home, 7.62% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This statistic is is a measure of the percent of long-term residents which suffer from pressure ulcers. Many experts believe that pressure ulcers are a reliable indicator of the quality of nursing care a nursing home provides.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Piners Nursing Home, 1.67% of Patients had Serious Falls
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term care residents who have suffered falls which resulted in serious injury. Falls can happen for a variety of reasons, but excessive numbers of falls may be an indicator of poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Piners Nursing Home, 1.21% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percent of residents that sustained a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are considered to be a measure of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. UTI's are often caused by a facility with lower levels of hygiene. Nevertheless, this metric can also be skewed for certain facilities due to inconsistent reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Piners Nursing Home, 10.06% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of long-term stay patients receiving antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic drugs play an important role in caring for many residents, it is important to make sure these medications are being used appropriately. In limited situations, increased usage of these drugs may indicate that a nursing home is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Piners Nursing Home, 13.91% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This statistic measures the percentage of long-term stay residents taking antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Piners Nursing Home, 4.33% of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents who are demonstrating symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Piners Nursing Home, 95.72% of Patients
This is the percentage of residents who have received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Piners Nursing Home, 8.37% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term care residents who needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as dressing and using the bathroom. Many believe that this is a measure of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Piners Nursing Home, 14.05% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percentage of patients that were able to retain mobility over time. Preserving mobility is usually a great sign for residents' well-being.
In Piners Nursing Home, 1.49 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This datapoint measures the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care. Staying out of the hospital is key to preserving the physical health of patients.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Piners Nursing Home, 14.05 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term patient care. There is a correlation between reduced hospitalizations and a nursing home's quality of short-term rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Piners Nursing Home, 79.63% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of short-term residents who experienced functional improvements.
Scores for Napa, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of A
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Napa, California has 4 other nursing homes
- Queen of the Valley Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 0.8 miles away1000 Trancas St Napa California 94558Voluntary non-profit - Church(707) 252-4411
- Sonoma Valley HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.81 miles away347 Andrieux St Sonoma California 95476Government - Hospital District or Authority(707) 935-5000
- Sutter Solano Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 13.33 miles away300 Hospital Dr Vallejo California 94589Voluntary non-profit - Private(707) 554-5280
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital and Rehab CenterAcute Care Hospitals 13.36 miles away975 Sereno Dr Vallejo California 94589Voluntary non-profit - Other(707) 651-1000
- Northbay Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 14.41 miles away1200 B Gale Wilson Blvd Fairfield California 94533Voluntary non-profit - Other(707) 646-5000
- Petaluma Valley HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 18.08 miles away400 N Mcdowell Blvd Petaluma California 94954Voluntary non-profit - Other(707) 778-1111
- 60th Medical Group (Travis Afb)Acute Care - Department of Defense 18.9 miles away103 Bodin Circle Fairfield Fairfield California 94533Department of Defense(707) 423-7300
- Usrc Napa, LLC0.52 miles away3219 Jefferson Street Napa California 94558Dialysis Stations: 13 (707) 501-5301
- Napa Dialysis Center0.68 miles away3900-C Bel Aire Plaza #C Napa California 94558CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (707) 253-8938
- Silverado Dialysis0.73 miles away1100 Trancas, Suite 267 Napa California 94558Dialysis Stations: 10 (707) 224-6533
- Fairfield Dialysis Center11.55 miles away4660 Central Way Fairfield California 94534CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (707) 863-7369
- Satellite Dialysis Vallejo13.05 miles away4300 Sonoma Blvd, Suite 25 Vallejo California 94589CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 33 (707) 561-7150
- Rai Chadbourne13.34 miles away490 Chadbourne Road Ste D Fairfield California 94534CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (707) 434-9088
- Wellbound of Vallejo13.54 miles away480 Redwood Street Suite 40 Vallejo California 94590Dialysis Stations: 4 (707) 556-3070
- Vallejo Dialysis Center13.63 miles away830 Redwood Street Vallejo California 94590CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (707) 642-2017