Located in Claremont, California, Pilgrim Place Health Services Center is one of only three facilities there. Sporting an overall score of A, this facility is one of the top nursing homes we assessed. Not surprisingly, this turned out to be the top nursing home in the city. This place also received consistently good ratings in each of our categories. More information about its category grades can be found below.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Pilgrim Place Health Services Center
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Nov 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Claremont senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Recreational Therapy
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Best Nursing Home in Claremont, California Awards 2021
Registered Staff Hours
Long-term Care Quality
In addition to receiving a great overall grade, this nursing home received an A+ in the area of long-term care. When facilities receive a score in this range in long-term care it typically means it's well-staffed and is a quality place to live on a permanent basis. Once we finished looking at the quantity of care provided by nurses, we then analyzed the nursing home's vaccination statistics. This nursing home vaccinated 98.79518 percent of its patients against pneumonia, which is what we like to see. Pneumonia can be a life threatening illness for nursing home patients so we strongly prefer when a facility doesn't leave its residents vulnerable. Clearly, this facility is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its patients out of the hospital. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
One of the other reasons we rated this facility so highly is that it earned a very impressive nursing grade. Nursing turned out to be its second best category grade. In that area, we gave this nursing home a grade of A. In computing our nursing ratings, we analyze both nursing hours and the levels of licensure of those nurses. This nursing home provides 0.5 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at several nursing quality measures and this facility excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any facility the nation in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can frequently be prevented by offering better nursing care, such as having a system of turning patients more frequently.
Does this page answer your questions about Pilgrim Place Health Services Center?
Short-term Care Quality
The third category we assessed is short-term care. Adding to its elite resume, this nursing home also performed well in this category. In fact, we awarded it a grade of of A for that area. In the category of short-term care, we seek to assess indicators of a nursing home's rehabilitation. We look at the facility's skilled nursing services, such as the ones performed by registered nurses and various therapists. Fortunately, it appear that this nursing home has registered nurses on staff. Not every facility employs these types of nurses. However, based on the information this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. The last statistic we assessed in this category is the percentage of patients that returned home from the facility. We found that 6.9 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home as opposed to remaining at the facility on a permanent basis.
Completing its excellent profile, this facility also performed well in our inspection category, which is based on the nursing home's recent government inspection reports. We awarded it a B+ for that category, which is one of our higher scores. Perhaps the most important factor we consider in calculating our inspection ratings is deficiencies. These deficiencies can be found on a facility's recent inspection reports. Nursing homes with better scores in this area typically avoided the most severe deficiencies involving patient abuse or death. Fortunately, although this place had some minor dings on its report, it had no severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are labeled as categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This tells you the government inspectors did not consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient health or safety. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Pilgrim Place Health Services Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Pilgrim Place Health Services Center, 4% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of patients that sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also referred to as bed sores, are routinely caused by residents staying in one position for too long. Better nursing protocols can reduce the number of pressure ulcers sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Pilgrim Place Health Services Center, 0% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of patients that have had a major fall. Falls resulting in major injuries are often associated with lower quality nursing care. Better nursing care can limit the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain major falls.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Pilgrim Place Health Services Center, 2.5% of Patients had UTIs
This statistic measures the percentage of long-term stay patients who had urinary tract infections. While a higher rate of these infections may reflect poorly on a nursing home's nursing care, it is difficult to compare different nursing homes due to facilities having reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Pilgrim Place Health Services Center, 6.25% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percentage of residents who were prescribed antipsychotic medications. These medications are used for treating several conditions, such as cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Pilgrim Place Health Services Center, 9.86% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This statistic tells you the percentage of long-term patients receiving antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Pilgrim Place Health Services Center, 0% of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term residents exhibiting symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Pilgrim Place Health Services Center, 99.4% of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term patients that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Pilgrim Place Health Services Center, 1.59% of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term stay patients that required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as getting dressed and using the bathroom. Many would argue that this is a reliable measure of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Pilgrim Place Health Services Center, 13.1% of Residents
This is the percentage of patients that were able to retain mobility over time. Optimizing mobility can be a great sign for residents' well-being.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Pilgrim Place Health Services Center, 13.1% of Residents Rehospitalized
This is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term resident care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Pilgrim Place Health Services Center, 9.82% of Patients
This tells you the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Pilgrim Place Health Services Center, 96.25% of Resident
This indicates the percent of short-term care patients who saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
- Pomona Valley Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.04 miles away1798 N Garey Ave Pomona California 91767Voluntary non-profit - Private(909) 865-9500
- Montclair Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.29 miles away5000 San Bernardino St Montclair California 91763Voluntary non-profit - Private(909) 625-8300
- San Antonio Regional HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.13 miles away999 San Bernardino Road Upland California 91786Voluntary non-profit - Other(714) 985-2811
- Chino Valley Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.56 miles away5451 Walnut Ave Chino California 91710Proprietary(909) 627-6111
- San Dimas Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.2 miles away1350 W Covina Blvd San Dimas California 91773Proprietary(909) 599-6811
- Glendora Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.24 miles away150 West Route 66 Glendora California 91740Proprietary(626) 335-0231
- Emanate Health Inter-Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.56 miles away210 W San Bernardino Road Covina California 91723Proprietary(626) 814-2468
- Placentia Linda HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 15.94 miles away1301 N Rose Drive Placentia California 92870Proprietary(714) 993-2000
- Fmc-Garey Dialysis Center Partnership1.38 miles away150 E. Arrow Highway Pomona California 91767CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 29 (909) 593-5863
- Pomona Dialysis Center, Inc.1.38 miles away255 E. Bonita Avenue, Building 1 Ste 200 Pomona California 91767Dialysis Stations: 25 (909) 784-2949
- Davita-Pomona Dialysis1.66 miles away2111 N. Garey Avenue Pomona California 91767CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (909) 596-9997
- Davita-Montclair Dialysis Center1.8 miles away9142 Monte Vista Ave Montclair California 91763CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (909) 626-6505
- Davita-Upland Colonies Dialysis3.2 miles away587 N. Mountain Avenue Upland California 91786Dialysis Stations: 25 (909) 931-4515
- Ontario Dialysis, Inc.3.49 miles away1001 W. Sixth Street, Suite A Ontario California 91762CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (909) 984-0320
- Ontario Holt Dialysis Center, Inc.3.85 miles away1310 West Holt Avenue Ontario California 91762Dialysis Stations: 28 (909) 986-0230
- San Dimas Dialysis Center, Inc.4.63 miles away1335 Cypress Street, Suite 102 San Dimas California 91773CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (909) 542-2802