Patuxent River Health and Rehabilitation Center is a large nursing home located in Laurel, Maryland. This facility was awarded an overall grade of B-, which is a respectable grade. Based on our assessment, this nursing home has some redeeming qualities. One of the highlights of this facility's profile is its impressive short-term care rating, which we will address in the next paragraph.
Patuxent River Health and Rehabilitation Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
We awarded this facility a grade of A- for our short-term care score. This score is much more impressive than the nursing home's overall score. In our short-term care grade, we try to create a valuable gauge for rehabilitation services. In doing so, we look at the facility's level of skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as respiratory therapy. Fortunately, it looks like this facility has registered nurses on staff. Not all nursing homes employs these types of nurses. However, based on the information they provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. Finally, we looked at the number of patients who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. We found that 5.7 percent of this facility's residents returned home.
One of the other reasons we rated this nursing home so highly is that it received a very impressive nursing rating. In that category, we gave this facility an B+. When calculating our nursing grades, we analyze both nursing hours and the training levels of those nurses. This particular nursing home provided 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This facility performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a nursing home has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can often be avoided if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Does this page answer your questions about Patuxent River Health and Rehabilitation Center?
This facility also received a strong inspection score. Inspection grades are based on the facility's recent inspections. We awarded this nursing home a B in this area. Arguably the most significant factor we look at in calculating our inspection grades is deficiencies. These deficiencies can be found on a facility's inspection reports. Facilities with higher scores in this area most likely avoided the most severe deficiencies involving patient abuse or death. This place was assessed 5 deficiencies on its inspection report, but fortunately none were considered to be major deficiencies. This means that CMS did not consider any of these deficiencies to create an immediate threat to resident safety or health. We should point out that deficiency-free inspection reports are rare in this industry.
Long-term Care Quality
Turning to the fourth category, we awarded this facility a grade of D in long-term care. This was the facility's worst category rating. Of course, this category hurt the facility's overall profile a bit. When facilities receive this kind of score in this category it is often a bad sign for resident care and it may indicate that the nursing home is not as well-staffed with nurses and aids. One of the data points we considered in addition to nursing hours is vaccinations. This facility administered the pneumonia vaccination to 93.20113 percent of its patients. To our surprise, this nursing home was actually able to limit hospitalizations. With only 0.02 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, this facility has fewer hospitalizations than many nursing homes. This was its best feature in this category.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Patuxent River Health and Rehabilitation Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Patuxent River Health and Rehabilitation Center, 10.24% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percentage of residents who sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered to be a barometer of the quality of nursing care . Pressure ulcers, also known as bed sores, are routinely caused by residents staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Patuxent River Health and Rehabilitation Center, 2.73% of Patients had Serious Falls
This figure gauges the percentage of long-term residents who suffered falls leading to severe injury. We use this statistic in computing nursing ratings.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Patuxent River Health and Rehabilitation Center, 2.07% of Patients had UTIs
This statistic gauges the percent of long-term residents who sustained a urinary tract infection. UTI's could be an indication of a nursing home with worse hygiene protocols. However, this metric can be skewed for some nursing homes due to varying reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Patuxent River Health and Rehabilitation Center, 13.1% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percentage of residents prescribed antipsychotic medications. Antipsychotic drugs are prescribed to residents for a variety of medical conditions, such as Alzheimer's or other dementias. Unfortunately, in some cases, excessive reliance on these medications may suggest that a nursing home is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Patuxent River Health and Rehabilitation Center, 14.46% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percentage of long-term care residents which were prescribed antianxiety drugs. These drugs are commonly prescribed to patients experiencing depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Patuxent River Health and Rehabilitation Center, 10.18% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay residents demonstrating signs of depression. Many in the industry would argue this is a measure of quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Patuxent River Health and Rehabilitation Center, 92.14% of Patients
This is the percentage of residents who were administered the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Patuxent River Health and Rehabilitation Center, 19.83% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients who required more assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Patuxent River Health and Rehabilitation Center, 28.37% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percent of residents that remained mobile levels over time. Retaining mobility is usually a good sign for residents' health.
In Patuxent River Health and Rehabilitation Center, 1.1 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care. There is a correlation between having fewer hospitalizations and the overall quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Patuxent River Health and Rehabilitation Center, 28.37 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term resident care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Patuxent River Health and Rehabilitation Center, 8.93 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Patuxent River Health and Rehabilitation Center, 74.3% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percentage of short-term stay patients who experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
- University of Md Laurel Regional HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 0.15 miles away7300 Van Dusen Road Laurel Maryland 20707Voluntary non-profit - Private(301) 725-4300
- Adventist Healthcare White Oak Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.84 miles away12100 Plum Orchard Drive Silver Spring Maryland 20904Voluntary non-profit - Private(301) 891-5651
- Doctors' Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.28 miles away8118 Good Luck Road Lanham Maryland 20706Proprietary(301) 552-8118
- Howard County General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.03 miles away5755 Cedar Lane Columbia Maryland 21044Voluntary non-profit - Private(410) 740-7890
- Holy Cross HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.64 miles away1500 Forest Glen Road Silver Spring Maryland 20910Voluntary non-profit - Church(301) 754-7000
- Medstar Montgomery Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.54 miles away18101 Prince Philip Drive Olney Maryland 20832Voluntary non-profit - Private(301) 774-8882
- Umd Prince George's Hospital CtrAcute Care Hospitals 11 miles away3001 Hospital Drive Hyattsville Maryland 20785Voluntary non-profit - Private(301) 618-2000
- Medstar Washington Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 13.07 miles away110 Irving St Nw Washington District of Columbia 20010Voluntary non-profit - Other(202) 877-7000
- Davita Laurel Lakes Dialysis0.99 miles away14500 Laurel Place Laurel Maryland 20707Dialysis Stations: 13 (301) 776-1769
- Kidney Care of Laurel2.01 miles away14631 Laurel Bowie Rd Ste 100 Laurel Maryland 20707CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (301) 725-3559
- Calverton Dialysis3.82 miles away4780 Corridor Place Ste C Beltsville Maryland 20705CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 13 (301) 595-0231
- Rai - Baltimore-Beltsville4.22 miles away10701 Baltimore Ave Beltsville Maryland 20705Dialysis Stations: 20 (301) 595-0263
- Fmc - Silver Spring5.65 miles away12120 Plum Orchard Rd Ste 140 Silver Spring Maryland 20904Dialysis Stations: 12 (301) 572-2484
- Bedell Dialysis, LLC5.65 miles away13875 Outlet Drive Silver Spring Maryland 20904Dialysis Stations: 18 (301) 890-1504
- Cadia Dialysis Springbrook6.68 miles away12325 New Hampshire Avenue Silver Spring Maryland 20904Dialysis Stations: 11 (301) 244-3028
- Greenbelt Home Training6.97 miles away10210 Greenbelt Road Ste 100 Lanham Maryland 20706Dialysis Stations: 4 (301) 794-0142