Park River Estates Care Center is an average-sized nursing home located in Minneapolis, Minnesota. This nursing home received an A- overall, which is an elite rating. Even in a city with 16 nursing homes, this one stood out as a superb selection. This place also received consistently good ratings in all of our categories. Additional information about its category grades is available below.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Park River Estates Care Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
9899 Avocet Street Northwest,
Minneapolis MN 55433
90.8% estimated occupancy 1
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- For profit - Individual
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
Registered Staff Hours
With an overall grade this high, it should come as no surprise that this nursing home performed well in the area of inspections, where it received an A. Inspection scores weigh a host of factors included in a facility's inspection report. One key criteria we rely on is the quantity and severity of deficiencies. Places with better scores in this category tend to have few of these severe deficiencies. This nursing home received 4 deficiencies on its inspection report, but none of the deficiencies were considered to be severe. This means that the inspectors did not deem any of these deficiencies an immediate threat to patient health or safety. The fact that the deficiencies were relatively minor leaves us less concerned with this inspection report.
One of the other reasons we rated this nursing home so highly is that it earned a very impressive nursing grade. In that category, we awarded this facility a grade of A. When calculating our nursing scores, we analyze both staffing levels and the levels of licensure of the nurses. This nursing home provides 0.5 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Lastly, we also looked at some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing grades. This nursing home performed very well when it comes to avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Does this page answer your questions about Park River Estates Care Center?
Long-term Care Quality
Turning to another strength for this nursing home, we gave them one of our more positive grades in our long-term care category as well, with a grade of B+. When nursing homes receive a grade in this range in this category it typically means it has plenty of staff and is a quality place to live on a permanent basis. In addition to looking at the amount of care provided by nurses and other staff, we also looked at the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This nursing home gave the vaccine to 97.818184 percent of its patients, which is significantly higher than the average nursing home. Lastly, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. It had only 0 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Short-term Care Quality
Moving on to the next area, this facility received a strong short-term care rating. Even though this isn't as elite as some of its other scores, this remains one of our stronger scores a facility can receive. Our short-term care scores are considered to be most meaningful for those needing rehabilitation services. Rehabilitation typically utilizes higher levels of highly-skilled nursing. Skilled nursing means not just nursing, but also physical and speech therapy, as well as other forms of therapy. Fortunately, it appear that this nursing home employs registered nurses. Not all facilities employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, according to the information this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. The final item we looked at in this area is the number of patients that were able to return home from the facility. We found that 4.9 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home as opposed to remaining at the nursing home on a permanent basis.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Park River Estates Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Park River Estates Care Center, 6.14% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percent of patients that suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered to be a barometer of the quality of nursing care . Pressure ulcers, which are also referred to as bed sores, are routinely the result of residents not being moved frequently enough.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Park River Estates Care Center, 3.86% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percentage of residents that sustained a fall which resulted in serious injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Park River Estates Care Center, 2.89% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percentage of residents that have had a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are considered to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care . UTI's are often the result of a facility with worst hygiene practices. However, this statistic can also be misleading for some facilities due to inconsistent reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Park River Estates Care Center, 15.26% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This figure is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients that were prescribed antipsychotic medication. Increased usage of these drugs may mean a nursing home is using these medications to subdue residents in situations where such drugs are not medically required. However, some nursing homes need to rely more on these medications due to having more patients with dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Park River Estates Care Center, 11.96% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percentage of patients given antianxiety medications. Antianxiety drugs are administered to patients suffering from depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Park River Estates Care Center, 4.16% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term patients who are demonstrating symptoms of depression. Some experts argue this is a reliable measure of patient quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Park River Estates Care Center, 94.15% of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term care residents who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be very dangerous for nursing home patients, making these vaccines critical to patient care.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Park River Estates Care Center, 13.41% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents that required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of dependence on staff for assistance with activities of daily living may be a sign of the decline of a patient's health.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Park River Estates Care Center, 15.86% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percentage of residents who were able to retain mobility over time. Preserving mobility can be a great sign for residents' well-being.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Park River Estates Care Center, 15.86 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is a measure of the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Park River Estates Care Center, 14.49 Percentage of Patients
Measures the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. Avoiding emergency medical situations is one way to assess patient care during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Park River Estates Care Center, 77.42% Percentage of Resident
This is a measure of the percent of short-term care patients that saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Some experts believe this is a reliable measure of a facility's rehabilitation performance.
Scores for Minneapolis, MN
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Minneapolis, Minnesota has 15 other nursing homes
- Mercy HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.01 miles away4050 Coon Rapids Blvd Minneapolis Minnesota 55433Voluntary non-profit - Private(762) 236-8100
- Maple Grove HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.74 miles away9875 Hospital Drive Osseo Minnesota 55369Voluntary non-profit - Private(763) 581-1000
- North Memorial HealthAcute Care Hospitals 9.43 miles away3300 Oakdale North Minneapolis Minnesota 55422Voluntary non-profit - Private(763) 520-5200
- Hennepin County Medical Center 1Acute Care Hospitals 12.38 miles away701 Park Avenue Minneapolis Minnesota 55415Government - Local(612) 873-3629
- University of Minnesota Medical Center, FairviewAcute Care Hospitals 13.06 miles away2450 Riverside Avenue Minneapolis Minnesota 55454Voluntary non-profit - Private(612) 273-3000
- Children's Hospitals & Clinics of MnChildrens 13.52 miles away2525 Chicago Avenue South Minneapolis Minnesota 55404Voluntary non-profit - Private(612) 813-6112
- Abbott Northwestern HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 13.82 miles away800 East 28th Street Minneapolis Minnesota 55407Voluntary non-profit - Private(612) 863-4457
- Healtheast St John's HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 15.54 miles away1575 Beam Avenue Saint Paul Minnesota 55109Voluntary non-profit - Private(651) 232-7000
- Coon Rapids Dialysis of Davita1.15 miles away3960 Coon Rapids Blvd, Suite 309 Minneapolis Minnesota 55433Dialysis Stations: 16 (763) 421-8717
- Fmc - Round Lake Dialysis1.5 miles away3777 Coon Rapids Blvd Nw Ste 120 Minneapolis Minnesota 55433Dialysis Stations: 13 (763) 323-1234
- Fmc Dialysis - North Suburban1.61 miles away9144 Springbrook Dr Nw Minneapolis Minnesota 55433CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (763) 783-0103
- Central Avenue Dialysis3.57 miles away10994 Baltimore St Ne Minneapolis Minnesota 55449Dialysis Stations: 12 (763) 786-5026
- Fmc - Coon Rapids4.75 miles away3465 Northdale Blvd Nw Minneapolis Minnesota 55448Dialysis Stations: 12 (763) 862-6088
- Fresenius Medical Care - Champlin4.76 miles away12339 Champlin Dr Champlin Minnesota 55316Dialysis Stations: 24 (763) 421-1032
- Fmc - Blaine Dialysis4.81 miles away12555 Central Ave Ne Minneapolis Minnesota 55434Dialysis Stations: 13 (763) 754-6774
- East River Road Dialysis5.9 miles away5301 E River Rd Ne Suite 117 Minneapolis Minnesota 55421Dialysis Stations: 12 (763) 571-5556