Oakwood Healthcare & Rehabilitation Center is a large nursing home in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Sporting an overall rating of B+, this looks like a very good nursing home. Even in a city with 49 other nursing homes, this facility would be a great option. This facility's impressive report card was highlighted by its inspection score, which you can find in the next section.
Oakwood Healthcare & Rehabilitation Center
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
Registered Staff Hours
One of the reasons this turned out to be a great nursing home is that it earned an A+ in our inspections category. This is simply as good as it gets in this area. We take several aspects of a facility's inspection report into consideration in calculating these inspection grades. One of those factors is health deficiencies. It should be noted that the severity of the deficiencies is usually more meaningful than the number of deficiencies, as some end up being quite insignificant. This nursing home was assessed 4 deficiencies on its inspection report, but we were relieved to see that none of the deficiencies were considered to be major deficiencies. This means that the inspectors did not deem any of the deficiencies an immediate risk to resident safety or health. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home fared well in the category of long-term care. In fact, we gave it a score of A- for that area, which turns out to be one of our most elite grades. In a long-term care environment, the facility's primary goal is to maintain patients' quality of life and keep them safe. In addition to assessing the amount of care provided by aids and other staff, we analyzed the percentage of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This nursing home vaccinated 80.22285 percent of its residents. This is a bit lower than we anticipated but still a decent percentage. While its vaccination rate was a bit lower than we hoped for, at least this nursing home was able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about Oakwood Healthcare & Rehabilitation Center?
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home's third highest category turned out to be its short-term care score, where it received a B-. With our short-term care rating, we attempt to create a valuable gauge for rehabilitation services. In this process, we look at a facility's offerings of highly-skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as occupational therapy. Fortunately, it looks like this facility has registered nurses on staff. Not every nursing home employs these skilled professionals. However, according to the information this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. The final item we assessed in this category is the percentage of residents who returned home from the nursing home. We found that just 4.8 percent of this facility's patients returned home.
The final category we looked at turned out to be this nursing home's weakest area. However, even in its worst category we still gave it an acceptable grade of B- in our nursing category. Nursing ratings are based in large part on quality and quantity of nursing care. This place provides only 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident each day. This is a somewhat discouraging figure as it is well below average. Lastly, despite not having the highest total nursing hours per resident, this facility performed admirably in the metric of preventing major falls. This is usually a reliable indicator that a facility has sufficient quality controls in place.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Oakwood Healthcare & Rehabilitation Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Oakwood Healthcare & Rehabilitation Center, 7.59% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This statistic is an indication of the percentage of long-term residents that suffered from pressure ulcers. Many experts believe that pressure ulcers are a great measure of the quality of nursing care a facility provides.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Oakwood Healthcare & Rehabilitation Center, 3.37% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percent of patients who sustained a fall which resulted in severe injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Oakwood Healthcare & Rehabilitation Center, 1.9% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percent of residents that suffered from a urinary tract infection. These infections are associated with insufficient hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Oakwood Healthcare & Rehabilitation Center, 15.54% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percentage of residents who were prescribed antipsychotic drugs. These drugs are used to treat a variety of medical conditions, including dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Oakwood Healthcare & Rehabilitation Center, 19.74% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percent of residents who were prescribed antianxiety drugs. These medications are given to residents experiencing depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Oakwood Healthcare & Rehabilitation Center, 3.12% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients exhibiting depressive symptoms. Higher levels of depression may imply a less hospitable environment.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Oakwood Healthcare & Rehabilitation Center, 88.22% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients who were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Oakwood Healthcare & Rehabilitation Center, 14.84% Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the percent of long-term care residents that required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as dressing and bathing. Some would argue that this is a reasonable measure of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Oakwood Healthcare & Rehabilitation Center, 21.64% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percent of residents that remained mobile levels over time. Preserving mobility is often a great sign for residents' well-being.
In Oakwood Healthcare & Rehabilitation Center, 1.31 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
Measures the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care. Staying out of the hospital is critical to maintaining the physical health of patients.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Oakwood Healthcare & Rehabilitation Center, 21.64 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint measures the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Oakwood Healthcare & Rehabilitation Center, 8.92 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care. There is usually a correlation between staying out of the emergency room and the overall quality of rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Oakwood Healthcare & Rehabilitation Center, 72.59% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint measures the percent of short-term patients that saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Many believe this is a measure of a facility's rehabilitation performance.
Scores for Philadelphia, PA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Philadelphia, Pennsylvania has 48 other nursing homes
- Aria HealthAcute Care Hospitals 2.55 miles away10800 Knights Road Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19114Voluntary non-profit - Private(215) 612-4129
- Nazareth HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.99 miles away2601 Holme Ave Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19152Voluntary non-profit - Private(215) 335-6000
- Holy Redeemer Hospital and Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.45 miles away1648 Huntingdon Pike Jenkintown Pennsylvania 19046Voluntary non-profit - Church(215) 947-3000
- Jeanes HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.14 miles away7600 Central Avenue Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19111Voluntary non-profit - Private(215) 728-2000
- Abington Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.56 miles away1200 Old York Road Abington Pennsylvania 19001Voluntary non-profit - Private(215) 481-2000
- Virtua Willingboro HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.75 miles away218a Sunset Road Willingboro New Jersey 08046Voluntary non-profit - Private(609) 835-2900
- Albert Einstein Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.93 miles away5501 Old York Road Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19141Voluntary non-profit - Other(215) 456-6090
- Lower Bucks HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.01 miles away501 Bath Road Bristol Pennsylvania 19007Proprietary(215) 785-9200
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Greater Northeast0.28 miles away10500 Roosevelt Blvd Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19116Dialysis Stations: 15 (215) 673-3923
- Northeast Philadelphia Dialysis Center, LLC0.77 miles away9815 Roosevelt Blvd., Suite 1a Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19114Dialysis Stations: 17 (215) 330-0494
- Davita - Grant One Dialysis Center1.33 miles away9475 Roosevelt Boulevard, Suite 9 Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19114CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (215) 673-0490
- Davita Neshaminy Dialysis2.85 miles away2 Neshaminy Interplex Drive Building 2, Suite 110 Feasterville Trevose Pennsylvania 19053Dialysis Stations: 16 (215) 245-6590
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Nazareth2.96 miles away2601 Holme Avenue Ground Floor, Marion Building Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19152Dialysis Stations: 17 (215) 335-0668
- Woodhaven Dialysis Center3.17 miles away1336 Bristol Pike, Suite B Bensalem Pennsylvania 19020CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 23 (215) 639-1070
- Bensalem Dialysis Center3.17 miles away1336 Bristol Pike Units 12 &13 Bensalem Pennsylvania 19020CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (215) 638-8671
- Davita - Huntingdon Valley Dialysis4.06 miles away769 Huntingdon Pike Huntingdon Valley Pennsylvania 19006CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 23 (215) 379-1788