Northwest Health and Rehabilitation Center is a large nursing home located in Houston, Texas. This facility was given an uninspiring overall grade of D, which is a relatively poor score. This nursing home seems to have very little working in its favor. If you aren't deterred by this facility's profile, feel free to continue reading to learn more about its category grades. Inspection reports are discussed in the next paragraph.
Northwest Health and Rehabilitation Center
Updated May 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
17600 Cali Dr,
Houston TX 77090
70.33% estimated occupancy 1
Registered Staff Hours
While we were not high on this facility's overall score, it actually received a very impressive inspection report this year. In fact, it received a nearly flawless inspection report this year. As a result, it received one of our best grades in that category with an A-. Inspection ratings weigh several factors, including deficiencies and substantiated complaints. You can learn more about each of these issues by obtaining copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. While this place had a few minor dings on its report, it had zero severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are those found in categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This means CMS didn't deem any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. A few minor deficiencies are not necessarily the end of the world.
Long-term Care Quality
One of this facility's higher category scores came in the category of long-term care. This wound up being its second most respectable category. In that category, we gave this nursing home a C. In crafting our long-term care grades, we quantify the facility's ability to maintain its permanent residents' health and quality of life. After we finished assessing the amount of care provided by nurses, we then analyzed the facility's vaccination records. Candidly, we were a bit bothered by the fact that this facility vaccinated just 88.06366 percent of its residents for pneumonia. Nevertheless, this nursing home keeps its patients out of the hospital. It had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about Northwest Health and Rehabilitation Center?
Turning to the area of nursing care, this facility received a grade of just D in this category. When computing a nursing home's nursing score, we assess the amount of time nurses commit to patients as well as the level of skill of those nurses. This nursing home provided just 3.2 hours of nursing care per resident daily. On top of its weak nursing hours, this facility earned poor scores in some of the quality-based measures we looked at in computing our nursing scores. We found that a higher percentage of this nursing home's residents suffered falls leading to major injury. We would argue that many falls could be prevented with better nursing care. This statistic contributed to this nursing home receiving a poor nursing score.
Short-term Care Quality
The next area we graded is short-term care. We gave it an abysmal F in this area, which is an abysmal grade. In the area of short-term care, we seek to evaluate indicators of a nursing home's rehabilitation. We analyze the nursing home's skilled nursing services, such as the ones performed by registered nurses and various therapists. Based on its grade in this category, we were not stunned to find that this nursing home was well below average in terms of its quantity of registered nurse hours provided to its residents. Frankly, this was about what we expected here. The final metric we considered in this category is the percentage of residents that eventually returned home from the facility. This facility struggled quite a bit in this area, with just 26.9 percent of its patients returning home. Unfortunately, this was well below the national average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Northwest Health and Rehabilitation Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Northwest Health and Rehabilitation Center, 7.96% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This datapoint is is a measure of the percentage of long-term care residents that have new or worsened pressure ulcers. We have found that pressure ulcers are an measure of quality of care.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Northwest Health and Rehabilitation Center, 3.3% of Patients had Serious Falls
This figure gauges the percentage of long-term stay patients that experienced a fall which caused severe injury. We use this statistic in calculating nursing scores.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Northwest Health and Rehabilitation Center, 1.63% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of patients who sustained a urinary tract infection. UTI's are often the result of nursing homes with worse hygiene protocols. Better nursing care reduces the percentage of residents in a nursing home who suffer from UTI's. Keep in mind that this metric is affected by by the fact that nursing homes have incongruent reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Northwest Health and Rehabilitation Center, 11.7% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of residents prescribed antipsychotic drugs. These drugs are sometimes used to treat a variety of conditions, including cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Northwest Health and Rehabilitation Center, 22.57% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percent of patients who were prescribed antianxiety drugs. These drugs are generally used to treat residents experiencing anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Northwest Health and Rehabilitation Center, 4.7% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients who are showing signs of depression. Some would argue that this is a measure of patient quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Northwest Health and Rehabilitation Center, 95.06% of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients who received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Northwest Health and Rehabilitation Center, 17.37% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients that required more assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Northwest Health and Rehabilitation Center, 17.98% Percentage of Residents
This metric measures the percent of long-term stay patients that were able to retain mobility.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Northwest Health and Rehabilitation Center, 17.98 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Northwest Health and Rehabilitation Center, 11.91 Percentage of Patients
This metric tracks the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term care. Staying out of the emergency room is one way to assess patient care during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Northwest Health and Rehabilitation Center, 66.67% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percentage of short-term stay residents who experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. High levels of performance with ADL's generally correlates with superior rehabilitation services.
Scores for Houston, TX
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Houston, Texas has 55 other nursing homes
- Intracare North HospitalPsychiatric 0.26 miles away1120 Cypress Station Dr Houston Texas 77090Voluntary non-profit - Private(281) 893-7200
- Tops Surgical Specialty HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 0.31 miles away17080 Red Oak Drive Houston Texas 77090Physician(281) 539-2900
- Hca Houston Healthcare NorthwestAcute Care Hospitals 0.39 miles away710 Cypress Creek Parkway Houston Texas 77090Proprietary(281) 440-1000
- First Texas HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.26 miles away9922 Louetta Rd Houston Texas 77070Proprietary(844) 264-1435
- Houston Methodist Willowbrook HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.65 miles away18220 Tomball Parkway Houston Texas 77070Voluntary non-profit - Private(281) 477-1000
- St Luke's Hospital at the VintageAcute Care Hospitals 8 miles away20171 Chasewood Park Drive Houston Texas 77070Proprietary(832) 534-5000
- Memorial Hermann Northeast HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.3 miles away18951 Memorial North Humble Texas 77338Voluntary non-profit - Private(281) 540-7700
- Emil J Freireich Cancer CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.44 miles away9201 Pinecroft Spring Texas 77380Proprietary(855) 353-2201
- Fresenius Medical Care Northside Dialysis, LLC0.72 miles away235 Fm 1960 Rd W Ste 235c Houston Texas 77090Dialysis Stations: 13 (281) 583-4698
- Spring Dialysis0.77 miles away607 Timberdale Lane, Suite 100 Houston Texas 77090Dialysis Stations: 18 (281) 880-7066
- Houston Kidney Center Cypress Station1.07 miles away72 Cypress Creek Pkwy Houston Texas 77090CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 35 (281) 580-6157
- Romano Woods Dialysis Center1.07 miles away16910 Mathis Church Road Houston Texas 77090Dialysis Stations: 30 (281) 893-6300
- North Park Dialysis Center1.2 miles away324 Fm 1960 E Suite 104 Houston Texas 77073Dialysis Stations: 30 (281) 443-2209
- Kadden Dialysis, LLC3.17 miles away2950 Fm 2920 Rd Spring Texas 77388Dialysis Stations: 20 (281) 907-6269
- Fmc Spring Klein Dialysis Center, LLC3.72 miles away5230 Fm 2920 Rd. Spring Texas 77388Dialysis Stations: 13 (281) 350-1756
- Cypress Creek Dialysis7.75 miles away9449 Grogans Mill Rd Spring Texas 77380Dialysis Stations: 15 (281) 363-1262