Northland Rehabilitation & Health Care Center is an average-sized nursing home located in Kansas City, Missouri. This nursing home received an overall grade of B+, which is very good rating. Even in a city featuring 29 other nursing homes, this facility looks like a great option. This facility is better in some categories than others, but it did not have any bad scores in any of the four major categories. More information about these categories can be found below.
Northland Rehabilitation & Health Care Center
- Nursing Home
- Home Health Agency
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- No Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
On top of receiving a strong overall score, this nursing home fared well in short-term care. In fact, we awarded it an A for that category, which is one of our best scores. With our short-term care grade, we strive to create a sound barometer for rehabilitation. In doing so, we look at a nursing home's scope of skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as respiratory therapy. It does not look like this facility submitted registered nurse or physical therapist staffing data. Lastly, we assessed the percentage of patients that ultimately were able to return home from this nursing home. We found that 6.1 percent of this facility's patients returned home.
Adding to its impressive category grades, we awarded this nursing home a grade of A for our inspections rating. Inspection ratings weigh several factors included in a facility's inspection report. One of the most important criteria we weigh heavily is the quantity and severity of deficiencies. Facilities with higher grades in this area usually have very few severe deficiencies. This particular nursing home had just a single deficiency on its inspection report and it was not one deemed to pose a threat to patient health or safety. Even some of the best nursing homes receive an occasional ding on their inspection report.
Does this page answer your questions about Northland Rehabilitation & Health Care Center?
This facility received a very good nursing grade this year as well. It received one of our better scores in that category with a grade of B. Our nursing rating includes a handful of datapoints, but the paramount one is the number of nurse hours per patient per week. This nursing home provides 0 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed several nursing quality measures and this place excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any facility Missouri in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can often be avoided by offering better nursing care, such as by having a protocol of turning patients even once per day.
Long-term Care Quality
The next category we scored was long-term care. We gave this facility a solid score in that area, with a B-. Although this was not as dominant as some of its other grades, it is still not a poor grade. In the category of long-term care, we focus more on the quantity of services offered by a nursing home, as opposed to more medically-intensive services. In addition to assessing the amount of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we analyzed the number of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This facility administered the vaccine to 98.4 percent of its residents, which is better than most nursing homes. This place was able to keep its patients out of the hospital. It had only 0.01 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Northland Rehabilitation & Health Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Northland Rehabilitation & Health Care Center, 9.28% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percentage of patients that suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin caused by staying in one position for an excessive period of time.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Northland Rehabilitation & Health Care Center, 3.89% of Patients had Serious Falls
This gauges the percent of long-term residents which experienced a fall which caused major injury. We use this statistic in computing nursing grades.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Northland Rehabilitation & Health Care Center, 3.39% of Patients had UTIs
This figure tells you the percentage of long-term patients that suffered from a UTI. UTI's may be an indicator of a nursing home with worse hygiene protocols. However, this metric may also be misleading for certain nursing homes due to inconsistent reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Northland Rehabilitation & Health Care Center, 20.47% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of patients given antipsychotic drugs. These drugs are used for treating several medical conditions, such as dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Northland Rehabilitation & Health Care Center, 24.32% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percent of patients who were prescribed antianxiety medications. Antianxiety medications are given to patients experiencing anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Northland Rehabilitation & Health Care Center, 4.19% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents showing symptoms of depression. Increased levels of depression may be a sign lower quality care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Northland Rehabilitation & Health Care Center, 88.53% of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients who have received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Northland Rehabilitation & Health Care Center, 14.79% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term residents that needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as moving around and eating.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Northland Rehabilitation & Health Care Center, 14.68% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percent of residents that remained mobile levels over time. Optimizing mobility can be a good sign for residents' well-being.
In Northland Rehabilitation & Health Care Center, 1.7 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of care. There is typically a correlation between reduced hospitalizations and the quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Northland Rehabilitation & Health Care Center, 14.68 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint is a measure of the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term resident care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Northland Rehabilitation & Health Care Center, 11.55 Percentage of Patients
This metric tracks the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Northland Rehabilitation & Health Care Center, 72.81% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percent of short-term stay patients that experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Higher levels of performance with activities of daily living usually correlates with superior rehabilitation services.
Scores for Kansas City, MO
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B
Looking for more options? Kansas City, Missouri has 28 other nursing homes
- North Kansas City HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.42 miles away2800 Clay Edwards Drive Kansas City Missouri 64116Government - Local(816) 691-2000
- Truman Medical Center Hospital HillAcute Care Hospitals 5.88 miles away2301 Holmes Street Kansas City Missouri 64108Voluntary non-profit - Private(816) 404-1000
- Childrens Mercy HospitalChildrens 6.07 miles away2401 Gillham Road Kansas City Missouri 64108Voluntary non-profit - Private(816) 234-3000
- University of Kansas HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.49 miles away4000 Cambridge Street Kansas City Kansas 66160Government - Hospital District or Authority(913) 588-7332
- Saint Lukes North HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.63 miles away5830 N W Barry Road Kansas City Missouri 64154Voluntary non-profit - Private(816) 891-6000
- St Lukes Hospital of Kansas CityAcute Care Hospitals 8.64 miles away4401 Wornall Road Kansas City Missouri 64111Voluntary non-profit - Private(816) 932-2000
- Liberty HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.75 miles away2525 Glenn Hendren Dr Liberty Missouri 64069Government - Hospital District or Authority(816) 781-7200
- Research Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.8 miles away2316 E Meyer Blvd Kansas City Missouri 64132Proprietary(816) 276-4000
- Northland Dialysis1.45 miles away2750 Clay Edwards Dr. #100 Kansas City Missouri 64116CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (816) 842-2056
- Hospital Hill Dialysis2.47 miles away900 E 21st Street Kansas City Missouri 64108CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (816) 842-9286
- Home Dialysis Services Kc Midtown LLC5.41 miles away1728 Holmes St Kansas City Missouri 64108Dialysis Stations: 6 (816) 381-6167
- Shoal Creek Dialysis5.45 miles away8260 N Booth Avenue Kansas City Missouri 64158Dialysis Stations: 16 (816) 792-2502
- Independence Dialysis Center5.97 miles away1135 S. Claremont Independence Missouri 64054Dialysis Stations: 16 (816) 836-1220
- Childrens Mercy Hospital Dialysis6.05 miles away2401 Gillham Rd Kansas City Missouri 64108Dialysis Stations: 10 (816) 234-3100
- Isd - Kansas City Renal Center6.07 miles away4333 Madison Ave Kansas City Missouri 64111CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (816) 756-0645
- Penn Valley Dialysis Center6.49 miles away2502 Summit Kansas City Missouri 64108Dialysis Stations: 20 (816) 531-1118