North Shore - L I J Orzac Center for Rehabilitation is a senior living facility in Valley Stream, New York. This city has a total of 60,957 people. Sporting an overall rating of A+, this nursing home is clearly a top-shelf facility. We were so impressed with this nursing home that we ranked it in the top one percentile of all facilities in the United States. One of the major highlights of this nursing home's stellar profile is its short-term care rating. We discuss short-term care in the next section.
North Shore - L I J Orzac Center for Rehabilitation
- Nursing Home
- Adult Day Care
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
On top of earning a great overall grade, this nursing home also received an A+ short-term care grade. With our short-term care assessment, we endeavor to create a valuable barometer for rehabilitation. In this process, we look at a nursing home's level of highly-skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as respiratory therapy. Fortunately, it looks like this facility employs registered nurses. Not every facility employs these skilled professionals. On the other hand, according to the information they provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. Finally, we assessed the number of residents who who were able to eventually return home from this facility. We found that 7.1 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home.
This nursing home also earned an A+ inspection grade, making it one of the few facilities to receive multiple A+'s in our category grades. This is based on the nursing home's inspection reports. We take several aspects of a facility's inspection report into consideration in computing these inspection ratings. One critical factor is deficiencies. You should keep in mind that the severity of the deficiencies is arguably more meaningful than the quantity of deficiencies, as some of these can be quite insignificant. Fortunately, although this place had some minor dings on its report, it had no severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are ones found in categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This means that the government inspectors did not deem any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient health or safety. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Does this page answer your questions about North Shore - L I J Orzac Center for Rehabilitation?
This first-rate facility also excelled in the area of nursing, where it received a grade of A+. Few nursing homes performed better in this area. There are a variety of factors within this grade. Many of the factors reflect the quantity and quality of nurse staffing. This nursing home provides 0.6 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Lastly, we also assessed some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing grades. This nursing home performed very well when it comes to avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Long-term Care Quality
In our final area, we awarded this nursing home a grade of A+ for our long-term care rating. This topped off an elite profile. Facilities that receive this kind of grade in long-term care tend to provide consistent 24/7 care to ensure residents are well cared for. In addition to assessing the amount of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we also looked at the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This nursing home gave the vaccine to 88.23529 percent of its patients. This is slightly lower than we expected but still a decent figure. While its vaccination rate was a bit lower than we like to see, this nursing home was able to limit hospitalizations. It had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
North Shore - L I J Orzac Center for Rehabilitation Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In North Shore - L I J Orzac Center for Rehabilitation, 9.62% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of residents that suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered to be an indicator of nursing care at a nursing home. Pressure ulcers, which are also known as bed sores, are routinely the result of residents staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In North Shore - L I J Orzac Center for Rehabilitation, 3.04% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percent of patients who suffered from a major fall. Falls resulting in severe injury are routinely linked to poor nursing care. Better nursing care minimizes the number of major falls sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In North Shore - L I J Orzac Center for Rehabilitation, 2.08% of Patients had UTIs
This datapoint tells you the percentage of long-term residents which experienced UTI's. While a higher rate infections may reflect poorly on a facility's cleanliness, it can be difficult to compare between nursing homes due to inconsistent reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In North Shore - L I J Orzac Center for Rehabilitation, 11.61% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This measures the percent of long-term stay patients which are given antipsychotic drugs. Increased usage of these drugs may indicate that a facility is using these medications to subdue residents in situations where such medications aren't medically indicated. Nevertheless, some nursing homes need to rely on these medications due to an increased number of residents suffering from Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In North Shore - L I J Orzac Center for Rehabilitation, 13.28% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This measures the percent of long-term stay patients who were given antianxiety drugs. These medications are commonly prescribed to residents experiencing depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In North Shore - L I J Orzac Center for Rehabilitation, 13.6% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents who are exhibiting signs of depression. Some experts believe that this is a reliable measure of quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In North Shore - L I J Orzac Center for Rehabilitation, 91.89% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term stay patients who were given the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be fatal for nursing home residents, making these types of vaccines critical to patient care.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In North Shore - L I J Orzac Center for Rehabilitation, 14.66% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term care residents who needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as moving around and taking a bath. Many in the industry believe that this is a reliable measure of a resident's well-being.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In North Shore - L I J Orzac Center for Rehabilitation, 8.77 Percentage of Patients
This metric tracks the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In North Shore - L I J Orzac Center for Rehabilitation, 74.71% Percentage of Resident
This is a measure of the percent of short-term care residents that saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Some experts argue this is a reliable measure of a facility's rehabilitation performance.
- Mercy Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.77 miles away1000 North Village Avenue Rockville Centre New York 11570Voluntary non-profit - Private(516) 705-2525
- Creedmoor Psychiatric CenterPsychiatric 4.69 miles away80-45 Winchester Blvd Bldg B Queens Village New York 11427Government - State(718) 264-4000
- Nyu Winthrop HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.76 miles away259 First Street Mineola New York 11501Voluntary non-profit - Private(516) 663-0333
- Queens Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.53 miles away82-68 164th Street Jamaica New York 11432Government - Local(718) 883-3000
- St John's Episcopal Hospital at South ShoreAcute Care Hospitals 6.82 miles away327 Beach 19th Street Far Rockaway New York 11691Voluntary non-profit - Church(718) 869-7000
- North Shore University HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.86 miles away300 Community Drive Manhasset New York 11030Voluntary non-profit - Private(516) 562-0100
- Jamaica Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.88 miles away89th Avenue and Van Wyck Expressway Richmond Hill New York 11418Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 262-6000
- Nassau University Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.51 miles away2201 Hempstead Turnpike East Meadow New York 11554Government - Local(516) 572-0123
- West Nassau Dialysis Ctr, Inc1.57 miles away75 Rockaway Avenue Valley Stream New York 11580CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (516) 823-4444
- Davita Lynbrook Dialysis Center1.8 miles away147 Scranton Avenue Lynbrook New York 11563CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (516) 596-4101
- True North Dialysis Center, LLC2.87 miles away1 Cisney Ave Floral Park New York 11001Dialysis Stations: 1 (516) 327-9502
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Hempstead3.13 miles away615 Peninsula Boulevard Hempstead New York 11550CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (516) 483-6702
- Davita Queens Village Dialysis Center3.38 miles away222-02 Hempstead Avenue Suite 170 Queens Village New York 11429CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (718) 217-6200
- S. Nassau Communities Hosp.3.49 miles away1 Healthy Way Dialysis - Acute Unit Oceanside New York 11572Dialysis Stations: 3 (516) 632-3944
- Woodmere Dialysis LLC3.66 miles awayFive Towns Premier Nursing and Rehabilitation 1050 Central Avenue Woodmere New York 11598Dialysis Stations: 14 (516) 791-5277
- Lij Medical Center3.73 miles away270-05 76th Avenue Dialysis Unit 7th Floor New Hyde Park New York 11040Dialysis Stations: 6 (718) 470-7820