Nhc Healthcare, Ft Sanders is in Knoxville, Tennessee, which is one of the most densely populated metropolitan areas in the country. This nursing home was given a very impressive overall grade of A, resulting in it being ranked among the best facilities in Knoxville. This truly is an impressive achievement since the city offers some very good facilities. Even in a city offering 15 other nursing homes, this nursing home looks like a great option. One of the best aspects of this facility's exemplary profile is its inspection reports. We discuss inspections in the next section.
Nhc Healthcare, Ft Sanders
- Nursing Home
- Home Health Agency
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Amputee Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
Registered Staff Hours
On top of being a first rate nursing home overall, this facility performed well in our inspections category, where it received an A+. Very few places performed as well in this area. We weigh several aspects of a nursing home's inspection report in calculating our inspection ratings. One critical factor is health deficiencies. You should keep in mind that the severity of deficiencies is usually more important than the quantity of deficiencies, as some end up being quite insignificant. While this place had some minor dings on its inspection report, it had zero severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are labeled as categories G through L. This tells you that the government inspectors did not deem any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Short-term Care Quality
This facility also was given a top-shelf short-term care score. Indeed, this is this nursing home's second strongest category grade. In that category, we awarded this facility a grade of A-. In determining these short-term care grades, we look at the nursing home's skilled nursing services, such as those performed by registered nurses, speech therapists, physical therapists and other types of therapists. Our goal is to devise a tool for sizing up the rehabilitation services of various nursing homes. Fortunately, it looks like this nursing home has registered nurses on staff. Not every nursing home employs these skilled professionals. On the other hand, based on the data this nursing home provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. Lastly, we assessed the number of patients who ultimately were able to return home from this facility. We found that 5.9 percent of this facility's residents returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about Nhc Healthcare, Ft Sanders?
Long-term Care Quality
Moving on our third area, this facility was awarded a strong long-term care score. In fact, we gave it a grade of A- in that area. When facilities receive this kind of score in this category it is typically a good sign for resident care and suggests that the place is well-staffed with nurses and aids. After looking at the amount of care provided by nurses and other staff, we next considered the nursing home's vaccination statistics. This facility vaccinated 95.053764 percent of its patients against pneumonia. Vaccines are critical to keeping patients healthy. Clearly, this nursing home is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its residents out of the hospital. It had only 0.01 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
In the final area, this nursing home also was awarded an excellent nursing grade, with a grade of A-. This wrapped up a straight A report card. Our nursing grade is primarily based on the nursing home's nurse staffing. This particular nursing home provided 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This nursing home performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a facility has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can frequently be prevented if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Nhc Healthcare, Ft Sanders Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Nhc Healthcare, Ft Sanders, 9.06% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percent of patients that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin due to remaining in one position for an excessive period of time.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Nhc Healthcare, Ft Sanders, 3.4% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percent of residents who suffered from a major fall. Falls resulting in severe injuries are often associated with lower levels of patient supervision. Better nursing care can limit the number of major falls sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Nhc Healthcare, Ft Sanders, 3.28% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percentage of residents who suffered from a urinary tract infection. These infections are associated with insufficient hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Nhc Healthcare, Ft Sanders, 15.49% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This figure is an indication of the percentage of long-term patients who are administered antipsychotic medication. High levels of antipsychotic drug use may indicate a facility is using these drugs to control patient behavior in scenarios where such drugs aren't medically indicated. However, some nursing homes need to rely on these medications due to having more residents with Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Nhc Healthcare, Ft Sanders, 29.7% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percent of residents who were prescribed antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety medications are administered to patients suffering from anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Nhc Healthcare, Ft Sanders, 8.67% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents who are exhibiting signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Nhc Healthcare, Ft Sanders, 89.63% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term care residents who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Nhc Healthcare, Ft Sanders, 16.71% Percentage of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term patients who required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as dressing and taking a bath. Some experts believe that this is a reliable measure of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Nhc Healthcare, Ft Sanders, 26.22% Percentage of Residents
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term care patients that retained mobility levels. Some would argue that mobility is important for residents' physical and mental health.
In Nhc Healthcare, Ft Sanders, 1.21 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care. There is a correlation between staying out of the hospital and the quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Nhc Healthcare, Ft Sanders, 26.22 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Nhc Healthcare, Ft Sanders, 11.37 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Nhc Healthcare, Ft Sanders, 72.9% Percentage of Resident
This metric measures the percentage of short-term stay residents who experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Many argue that this is a reliable measure of rehabilitation performance.
Scores for Knoxville, TN
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? Knoxville, Tennessee has 14 other nursing homes
- East Tennessee Childrens HospitalChildrens 0.17 miles away2018 Clinch Ave Sw Knoxville Tennessee 37916Voluntary non-profit - Private(865) 541-8000
- Fort Sanders Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 0.2 miles away1901 W Clinch Ave Knoxville Tennessee 37916Voluntary non-profit - Private(865) 541-1101
- University of Tn Medical Center (The)Acute Care Hospitals 1.39 miles away1924 Alcoa Highway Knoxville Tennessee 37920Voluntary non-profit - Private(865) 544-9000
- Tennova Healthcare-North Knoxville Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.27 miles away7565 Dannaher Way Powell Powell Tennessee 37849Proprietary(865) 545-8000
- Parkwest Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.44 miles away9352 Park West Blvd Knoxville Tennessee 37923Voluntary non-profit - Private(865) 970-9800
- Blount Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 14.07 miles away907 E Lamar Alexander Parkway Maryville Tennessee 37804Government - Local(865) 983-7211
- Methodist Medical Center of Oak RidgeAcute Care Hospitals 17.47 miles away990 Oak Ridge Turnpike Box 529 Oak Ridge Tennessee 37830Voluntary non-profit - Private(865) 835-1000
- Bio-Medical Applications of Tennessee0.44 miles away1826 Ailor Avenue Knoxville Tennessee 37921Dialysis Stations: 4 (865) 524-5308
- Fmc Dialysis Fort Sanders0.59 miles away1740 Western Avenue Knoxville Tennessee 37921CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 26 (865) 523-1516
- Dci Knoxville2.06 miles away3734 Martin Mill Pike Knoxville Tennessee 37920CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 48 (865) 573-3944
- Bio-Medical Applications of Tennessee, Inc.3.17 miles away2519 E Magnolia Ave Knoxville Tennessee 37914Dialysis Stations: 21 (865) 633-6052
- Davita Dialysis3.82 miles away2909 E Magnolia Avenue Knoxville Tennessee 37914Dialysis Stations: 25 (865) 525-2232
- Bio-Medical Application of Tennessee, Inc.4.1 miles away4440 Walker Blvd. Knoxville Tennessee 37917Dialysis Stations: 24 (865) 687-3436
- Fmc Powell7.1 miles away732 E. Emory Rd Knoxville Tennessee 37938CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 26 (865) 947-1700
- Knoxville Central Dialysis8.79 miles away9141 Cross Park Drive Suite 102 Knoxville Tennessee 37923Dialysis Stations: 8 (865) 531-4681