Located in Charleston, South Carolina, Nhc Health Care, Charleston is one of six available nursing homes there. Sporting an overall score of A+, this facility is without a doubt a first-rate facility. In fact, this is one of the top 50 facilities in the country, which is just an incredible feat. We also gave this facility impressive grades in all four of the major categories. More information about these categories can be found below.
Nhc Health Care, Charleston
- Nursing Home
- Home Health Agency
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- No Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Amputee Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
To pair with a strong overall grade, we gave this nursing home an A+ for our inspections rating. Perhaps the most important factor we consider in determining our inspection ratings is deficiencies. These deficiencies can be found on a facility's recent inspection reports. Nursing homes with better grades in this area typically dodged the most severe deficiencies involving things like patient abuse. This particular nursing home had just a single deficiency on its inspection report and it was not one deemed to pose a threat to patient health or safety. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
We also wanted to emphasize the fact that this facility excelled in our nursing rating. We awarded them an impressive grade of A+ in this category. Our nursing score is mostly associated with the nursing home's nurse staffing. This particular nursing home provided 0.5 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing grades. This nursing home performed very well when it comes to avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Does this page answer your questions about Nhc Health Care, Charleston?
Short-term Care Quality
The third category we looked at is short-term care. This nursing home performed well in our short-term care rating also. We gave them an impressive score of A+ in this area. Our short-term care ratings are believed to be more critical for residents in need of rehabilitation services. Rehabilitation typically requires higher levels of skilled nursing services. Skilled nursing means not only nursing services, but also physical and occupational therapy, as well as other types of therapy. Fortunately, it looks like this facility has registered nurses on staff. Not every facility employs these skilled professionals. However, according to the data they provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. The final metric we assessed in this area is the percentage of patients who returned home from the facility. We found that 6.2 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home as opposed to remaining at the facility on a permanent basis.
Long-term Care Quality
In the last area, we gave this nursing home an A+ for its long-term care grade. This finished off a very strong report card. Facilities that do well in this category tend to be well-staffed and offer extensive hands on care to residents. One of the statistics we considered after nursing hours is vaccines. This facility administered the pneumonia vaccine to 100 percent of its patients. Vaccination is a great way to avoid unnecessary deaths and hospitalizations for the nursing home population. Clearly, this place is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its patients out of the hospital. It had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Nhc Health Care, Charleston Quality Metrics
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Nhc Health Care, Charleston, 3.49% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percentage of patients who sustained a major fall. Falls leading to serious injury are considered by many experts to be a measure of nursing care at a nursing home. Major falls which result in injury are routinely caused by poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Nhc Health Care, Charleston, 3.26% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of long-term care residents that suffered from a UTI. While a higher rate infections may reflect poorly on a nursing home's hygiene protocols, it is problematic to compare different facilities due to nursing homes having differing reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Nhc Health Care, Charleston, 19.83% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percentage of patients who were given antianxiety drugs. These medications are typically used to treat residents suffering from anxiety and depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Nhc Health Care, Charleston, 88.77% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be fatal for nursing home patients, making these vaccines critical to patient safety.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Nhc Health Care, Charleston, 14.72% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents who required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Nhc Health Care, Charleston, 12.88 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Nhc Health Care, Charleston, 72.67% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percent of short-term care patients who saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
Scores for Charleston, SC
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Charleston, South Carolina has 5 other nursing homes
- Bon Secours-St Francis Xavier HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 0.4 miles away2095 Henry Tecklenburg Drive Charleston South Carolina 29414Voluntary non-profit - Private(843) 402-1006
- Roper HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.56 miles away316 Calhoun St Charleston South Carolina 29401Voluntary non-profit - Private(843) 724-2800
- Musc Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.6 miles away169 Ashley Ave Charleston South Carolina 29425Government - State(843) 792-2300
- East Cooper Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.92 miles away2000 Hospital Dr Mount Pleasant South Carolina 29464Proprietary(843) 881-0100
- Trident Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 11.21 miles away9330 Medical Plaza Dr Charleston South Carolina 29406Proprietary(843) 847-4100
- Mount Pleasant HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 16.46 miles away3510 Highway 17 North Suite 140 Mount Pleasant South Carolina 29466Voluntary non-profit - Private(843) 724-2954
- Nkc Charleston, LLC0.18 miles away2270 Ashley Crossing Suite 130a Charleston South Carolina 29414Dialysis Stations: 4 (843) 231-3660
- Rai Care Centers Charleston0.49 miles away2080 Charlie Hall Blvd Charleston South Carolina 29414CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 26 (843) 766-4655
- Coast Dialysis, LLC0.9 miles away1964 Ashley River Road Suite D-2 Charleston South Carolina 29407Dialysis Stations: 4 (843) 573-8767
- Pointe Dialysis, LLC0.9 miles away1964 Ashley River Road Suite D-3 Charleston South Carolina 29407Dialysis Stations: 20 (843) 852-3537
- Faber Place Dialysis2.69 miles away3801 Faber Place Drive North Charleston South Carolina 29405CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (843) 377-1566
- Dci West Ashley2.78 miles away46 B Markfield Road Charleston South Carolina 29407CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 23 (843) 766-2317
- Dci Magnolia Court5 miles away1427 King Street Charleston South Carolina 29403Dialysis Stations: 17 (843) 853-3399
- North Charleston Dialysis6.41 miles away5900 Rivers Ave Ste E Charleston South Carolina 29406CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (843) 747-3447