New Vista Nursing and Rehabilitation Center is a large nursing home located in Sunland, California. It looks like this facility is a relatively poor nursing home. A score of this caliber suggests we found a few red flags. Sunland received a city grade of B-, so there are some other options in the city worth considering. Despite all this, one of the few highlights of this facility's report card is its strong nursing grade. You can scroll down to find out about nursing and other category scores
New Vista Nursing and Rehabilitation Center
- Nursing Home
- Assisted Living
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
8647 Fenwick Street.,
Sunland CA 91040
90.33% estimated occupancy 1
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Dialysis Transportation
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Catheter Care
Registered Staff Hours
While we didn't give this nursing home a good overall score, we did give it a strong grade in nursing, where it earned a grade of B. This is better than most nursing homes in this category. The nursing rating is based on quite a few subcategories, many of which are tied to levels of nurse staffing. This particular nursing home provided 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at several nursing quality-based metrics and this nursing home excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any facility California in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can generally be avoided by offering better nursing care, such as by having a policy of turning a patient more often.
Long-term Care Quality
This facility's long-term care rating ended up being one of its higher scores. The facility received a B- in this area. Long-term care grades are used to gauge a nursing home's performance as a traditional convalescent home, as opposed to focusing more on the skilled nursing services provided by a skilled nursing facility. On top of considering the volume of care provided by nurses and other staff, we analyzed the percentage of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. Fortunately, this nursing home administered the vaccine to 100 percent of its patients, which is a very respectable percentage. This place was able to keep its patients out of the hospital. It had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about New Vista Nursing and Rehabilitation Center?
Short-term Care Quality
The next category we graded was short-term care, where this facility was given a grade of B- in this category. In computing these short-term care grades, we look at the facility's skilled nursing services, including those performed by registered nurses, speech therapists, physical therapists and other types of skilled professionals. The goal is to create a barometer for comparing the rehabilitation services of nursing homes. We found that this nursing home was below average in the two key staffing areas we focus on. In fact, it provided fewer physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than most other nursing homes. It is important to determine whether this also correlates to a lower quality of care. The last metric we considered in this area is the number of residents that were able to return home from the nursing home. We found that just 0 percent of this facility's patients returned home. Unfortunately, this was below average.
Turning to our final category of inspections, this facility received a grade that's as bad as it gets. We weight this category more heavily than our other categories. With facilities that received this poor of an inspection score, we would scrutinize any severe deficiencies on its inspection report. This facility had 10 deficiencies by government inspectors. The only favorable thing we found is that none of its deficiencies were in the categories that indicate that they created a risk to resident safety or health. Finally, we also would like to draw your attention to the fact that this facility received significant government fines in recent years of more than $100,000. This usually indicates that a nursing home's bad performance spanned multiple years.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
New Vista Nursing and Rehabilitation Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In New Vista Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 7.45% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of residents who suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered by many experts to be a measure of the quality of nursing care . Pressure ulcers, which are also called bed sores, are routinely the result of patients staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In New Vista Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 1.7% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percent of patients who sustained a fall resulting in severe injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In New Vista Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 1.24% of Patients had UTIs
This figure is an indication of the percent of long-term stay residents that have had a UTI. UTI's could be a sign of a nursing home with worse hygiene protocols. However, this metric may also be skewed for certain facilities due to different reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In New Vista Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 10.1% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This figure tells you the percentage of long-term care residents that were given antipsychotic drugs. Increased usage of these drugs may mean that a nursing home is using these medications to subdue residents in scenarios where such drugs aren't medically required. Nevertheless, some nursing homes need to rely on these medications due to an increased number of residents with cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In New Vista Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 13.85% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This figure measures the percent of long-term patients taking antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In New Vista Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 4.64% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term patients showing depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In New Vista Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 95.44% of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term residents that were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In New Vista Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 7.92% Percentage of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents who needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as dressing and bathing.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In New Vista Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 12.45% Percentage of Residents
This metric tracks the percentage of long-term residents that maintained mobility.
In New Vista Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 1.61 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of care. There is typically a correlation between having fewer hospitalizations and the overall quality of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In New Vista Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 12.45 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is generally a correlation between staying out of the hospital and the quality of rehabilitation services.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In New Vista Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 9.83 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In New Vista Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 79.79% Percentage of Resident
Measures the percentage of short-term care residents who saw functional improvements.
- Pacifica Hospital of the ValleyAcute Care Hospitals 4.39 miles away9449 San Fernando Rd Sun Valley California 91352Proprietary(818) 767-3310
- Providence Saint Joseph Medical CtrAcute Care Hospitals 7.18 miles away501 South Buena Vista Street Burbank California 91505Voluntary non-profit - Church(818) 843-5111
- Usc Verdugo Hills HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.27 miles away1812 Verdugo Blvd Glendale California 91209Voluntary non-profit - Private(818) 790-7100
- Providence Holy Cross Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.95 miles away15031 Rinaldi St Mission Hills California 91346Voluntary non-profit - Church(818) 365-8051
- Lac/Olive View-Ucla Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.41 miles away14445 Olive View Drive Sylmar California 91342Voluntary non-profit - Other(818) 364-1555
- Glendale Adventist Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.48 miles away1509 E Wilson Terrace Glendale California 91206Voluntary non-profit - Private(818) 409-8202
- Sherman Oaks HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.96 miles away4929 Van Nuys Blvd Sherman Oaks California 91403Voluntary non-profit - Private(818) 981-7111
- Glendale Mem Hospital & Hlth CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.03 miles away1420 S Central Ave Glendale California 91204Voluntary non-profit - Private(818) 502-1900
- Laurel Canyon Dialysis, LLC5.02 miles away8987 Laurel Canyon Blvd. Sun Valley California 91352CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (818) 771-9950
- Davita-Burbank Dialysis5.04 miles away1211 N. San Fernando Blvd. Burbank California 91504CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (818) 842-5576
- Davita-North Hollywood Dialysis6.61 miles away12126 Victory Blvd. North Hollywood California 91606CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 28 (818) 980-5070
- Fmc-Burbank7.02 miles away2031 Alameda Avenue, Suite 202 Burbank California 91506CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (818) 845-3830
- Fmc-Rai-South Brand-San Fernando7.05 miles away501 S. Brand Blvd. San Fernando California 91340Dialysis Stations: 5 (818) 365-5270
- Fmc-San Fernando7.05 miles away451 S. Brand Blvd., Suite 100 San Fernando California 91340CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (818) 837-9980
- Nrc-Sylmar Dialysis, LLC7.6 miles away12151 San Fernando Rd. Sylmar California 91342CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (818) 465-9464
- u.s. Renal Care Panorama City Dialysis7.69 miles away14600 Roscoe Blvd. Panorama City California 91402CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 36 (818) 901-9822