New Vista Nursing and Rehabilitation Center is located in the large metropolitan area of Newark, New Jersey. We have a high opinion of this nursing home, which we gave a B+ overall. We were equally impressed with the city grade of facilities in Newark, making this one of the best places to find a nursing home. You could definitely do much worse than this nursing home. This facility also received consistently good ratings in each of our categories. More information about its category grades can be found below.
New Vista Nursing and Rehabilitation Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- For profit - Partnership
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Meal Delivery
- Home Making
- Wound Care
- Recreational Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
One of the many reasons this turned out to be a great nursing home is that it received an A+ nursing grade. This is simply as good as it gets in this category. The nursing score features many datapoints. The most heavily weighted variable is the amount of time nurses spent with residents. This nursing home averages 0.5 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at several nursing quality measures and this facility excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any place the nation in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can many times be avoided by providing better nursing care, such as employing a protocol of turning patients more frequently.
Short-term Care Quality
Additionally, this nursing home also was awarded favorable short-term care grades this year. Indeed, we awarded it one of our stronger grades in that area, with a grade of B+. In forming these short-term care grades, we look at the facility's skilled nursing services, such as those performed by registered nurses, speech therapists, physical therapists and other types of skilled professionals. The purpose is to create a scale for comparing the rehabilitation services of various facilities. Fortunately, it appear that this facility employs registered nurses. Not all facilities employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, based on the information this nursing home provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. The last statistic we considered in this category is the percentage of residents who were able to leave the facility and return home. We found that 4.7 percent of this nursing home's patients were able to return home.
Does this page answer your questions about New Vista Nursing and Rehabilitation Center?
Another strong feature for this nursing home is that it excelled in inspections, with a grade of B in that category. It outperformed most facilities in this category. We take several aspects of a facility's inspection report into consideration in computing our inspection grades. One of those factors is health deficiencies. It should be noted that the severity of the deficiencies is usually more meaningful than the quantity of deficiencies, as some of these can be quite minor. This place was assessed 4 deficiencies on its inspection report, but we were relieved to see that none of the deficiencies were considered to be severe deficiencies. This indicates that the inspectors did not deem any of these deficiencies to be an imminent risk to resident safety or health. The fact that the deficiencies were relatively minor leaves us less concerned with this inspection report.
Long-term Care Quality
The last category we rated is long-term care, where this facility received a B. This nursing home did not turn out to have any weak categories. Long-term care ratings in this range generally require both 24/7 care from nurses and aids, as well as quality routine healthcare services. After looking at the volume of care provided by aids and other staff, we then looked at the nursing home's vaccination records. This facility vaccinated 97.903824 percent of its residents against pneumonia, which is significantly higher than the vast majority of nursing homes. Lastly, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
New Vista Nursing and Rehabilitation Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In New Vista Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 9.57% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This metric tells you the percentage of long-term care patients who suffer from new or worsened pressure ulcers. Many experts believe that pressure ulcers are a great barometer of quality of care.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In New Vista Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 2.57% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percent of residents who suffered from a fall which resulted in major injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In New Vista Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 1.73% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of patients that suffered from a urinary tract infection. UTI's are considered to be a measure of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. UTI's are routinely linked to a nursing home with worse hygiene protocols. Nevertheless, this datapoint can also be misleading for certain nursing homes due to varying reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In New Vista Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 10.75% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of patients prescribed antipsychotic drugs. Antipsychotic medications are given to residents for many medical conditions, such as Alzheimer's or other dementias. Sadly, in limited situations, excessive reliance on these medications may indicate a facility is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In New Vista Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 17.5% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percentage of patients who were given antianxiety drugs. These drugs are used to treat patients experiencing depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In New Vista Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 5.81% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term care patients exhibiting signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In New Vista Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 92% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term patients that received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be very dangerous for seniors, making these types of vaccines vital to patient safety.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In New Vista Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 10.99% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients who required more assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In New Vista Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 14.79% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percentage of patients that were able to retain mobility over time. Retaining mobility can be a good sign for residents' well-being.
In New Vista Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 1.49 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric is a measure of the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In New Vista Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 14.79 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric tracks the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care. Minimizing rehospitalizations during rehabilitation is critical to restoring the health of patients.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In New Vista Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 8.17 Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term care. Avoiding emergency medical situations is one way to measure patient care during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In New Vista Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 80.57% Percentage of Resident
This metric is a measure of the percentage of short-term care residents who saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Many believe this is a measure of a facility's rehabilitation performance.
Scores for Newark, NJ
- Overall Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? Newark, New Jersey has 4 other nursing homes
- University HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.85 miles away150 Bergen St Newark New Jersey 07101Government - State(973) 972-5658
- East Orange General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.37 miles away300 Central Ave East Orange New Jersey 07018Voluntary non-profit - Private(973) 266-4401
- Newark Beth Israel Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.27 miles away201 Lyons Ave Newark New Jersey 07112Voluntary non-profit - Private(973) 926-7850
- Hudson Regional HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.49 miles away55 Meadowlands Pkwy Secaucus New Jersey 07094Proprietary(201) 392-3200
- Carepoint Health-Christ HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.36 miles away176 Palisade Ave Jersey City New Jersey 07306Voluntary non-profit - Church(201) 795-8200
- Jersey City Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.82 miles away355 Grand Street Jersey City New Jersey 07302Voluntary non-profit - Private(201) 915-2000
- Saint Barnabas Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.92 miles away94 Old Short Hills Road Livingston New Jersey 07039Voluntary non-profit - Other(973) 322-5000
- St Mary's General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.05 miles away350 Boulevard Passaic New Jersey 07055Proprietary(973) 365-4300
- Fmc North Newark0.84 miles away155 Berkeley Avenue Newark New Jersey 07107CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (973) 412-0066
- Fmc Harrison Dc1.52 miles away620 Essex Street Harrison New Jersey 07029CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (973) 482-7772
- Davita Renal Center of Newark1.7 miles away571 Central Ave Newark New Jersey 07107CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (973) 484-4994
- Fkc Belleville1.71 miles away36 Newark Avenue Suite 304 Belleville New Jersey 07109Dialysis Stations: 16 (973) 450-0385
- Ara Dialysis at East Orange1.71 miles away20 Sussex Ave East Orange New Jersey 07018Dialysis Stations: 13 (973) 266-1093
- Fmc East Orange Dc1.93 miles away110 South Grove Street East Orange New Jersey 07018CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (973) 414-6100
- Fmc Newark Univ Dc (Miele)2.17 miles away91-101 Hartford Street Newark New Jersey 07103Dialysis Stations: 18 (973) 624-7100
- Davita East Orange Dialysis2.54 miles away14-20 Prospect Street East Orange New Jersey 07017CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (973) 672-2025