Located in Methuen, Massachusetts, Nevins Nursing & Rehabilitation Center is one of just two available facilities there. Featuring an overall score of A, this facility is one of the best facilities we assessed. We really can not say enough good things about this place. As you will see below, this nursing home also performed well in our category grades. It's hard to find any major flaws in this facility's profile.
Nevins Nursing & Rehabilitation Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
Registered Staff Hours
On top of faring well in its overall grade, this facility earned a nearly flawless inspection report. As a result, it received one of our best scores in that category with a grade of A. These inspection ratings weigh several factors, including deficiencies and federal fines. You can learn more about each of these items by obtaining copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. This facility was hit with 3 deficiencies on its inspection report, but none of the deficiencies were considered to be severe deficiencies. This tells you that CMS didn't consider any of the deficiencies to pose an imminent risk to resident health or safety. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
Contributing to its impressive profile, this facility also excelled in our long-term care area. In fact, we gave it a score of A for the area. Facilities that do well in long-term care typically are well-staffed and provide extensive hands on care to patients. One of the datapoints we considered on top of nursing hours was vaccinations. This nursing home administered the pneumonia vaccine to 95.30386 percent of its patients. Vaccination is a proven method to avoid unnecessary deaths for the aged 65 and up population. Clearly, this nursing home is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its patients out of the hospital. Indeed, it had only 0.01 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about Nevins Nursing & Rehabilitation Center?
This nursing home also received a very impressive nursing grade. In that area, we awarded this facility a grade of A-. Our nursing score assesses the nursing home's nurse staffing levels. We factor in both the levels of licensure of those nurses and the quantity of hours spent with residents. This facility provided 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This place performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a nursing home has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can typically be avoided if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Short-term Care Quality
In our final category, we awarded this nursing home an A for its short-term care score. This topped off a very favorable profile. In determining our short-term care ratings, we assess the nursing home's levels of highly skilled nursing services, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists occupational therapists and other licensed professionals. This category is generally a solid assessment of the nursing home's ability to rehabilitate patients. Fortunately, it appear that this facility has registered nurses on staff. Not all facilities employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, based on the data this nursing home provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. Lastly, we assessed the percentage of patients who ultimately were able to return home from this facility. We found that 5.4 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Nevins Nursing & Rehabilitation Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Nevins Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 6.44% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This figure measures the percentage of long-term care patients that suffered from new or worsened pressure ulcers. We have found that pressure ulcers are a great barometer of a facility's nursing care quality.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Nevins Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 3.62% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percent of residents who have had a major fall. Falls leading to major injuries are considered to be a measure of the quality of nursing care . Major falls resulting in injury are routinely the result of lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Nevins Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 2.45% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percent of patients who sustained a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are routinely the result of poor nursing care. Better hygiene protocols can minimize the number of UTI's sustained by residents in a nursing home. Note that this statistic is affected by by the fact that nursing homes have different reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Nevins Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 18.96% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of long-term patients receiving antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic drugs serve an important medical purpose, it is important to confirm these drugs are being used only where medically required. In some cases, increased usage of these drugs may indicate a facility is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Nevins Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 18.8% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This statistic is a measure of the percentage of long-term care patients receiving antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Nevins Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 1.95% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents who are showing signs of depression. Increased rates of depression could be an indicator worse patient care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Nevins Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 91.63% of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term residents who were given the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be fatal for seniors, making these vaccines vital to patient care.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Nevins Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 15.18% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term residents that required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as getting dressed and continence. Some would argue that this is a reliable measure of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Nevins Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 19.01% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percentage of patients that were able to retain mobility over time. Preserving mobility can be a great sign for residents' health.
In Nevins Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 1.24 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric measures the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care. Staying out of the hospital is critical to the physical well-being of nursing home residents.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Nevins Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 19.01 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Nevins Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 10.9 Percentage of Patients
This metric tracks the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care. Avoiding medical emergencies is one way to assess patient care during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Nevins Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 71.03% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percentage of short-term stay patients that experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Higher levels of independence with activities of daily living generally correlates with higher quality rehabilitation services.
- Holy Family HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 0.78 miles away70 East Street Methuen Massachusetts 01844Proprietary(978) 687-0156
- Lowell General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.56 miles away295 Varnum Avenue Lowell Massachusetts 01854Voluntary non-profit - Private(978) 937-6000
- Parkland Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 12.65 miles away1 Parkland Drive Derry New Hampshire 03038Proprietary(603) 421-2100
- Southern Nh Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 14.08 miles away8 Prospect Street Nashua New Hampshire 03060Voluntary non-profit - Private(603) 577-2000
- St Joseph HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 14.94 miles away172 Kinsley St Nashua New Hampshire 03060Voluntary non-profit - Other(603) 882-3000
- Anna Jaques HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 16.19 miles away25 Highland Avenue Newburyport Massachusetts 01950Voluntary non-profit - Private(978) 463-1000
- Lahey Hospital & Medical Center, BurlingtonAcute Care Hospitals 16.48 miles away41 & 45 Mall Road Burlington Massachusetts 01803Voluntary non-profit - Private(781) 744-5100
- Winchester HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 18.12 miles away41 Highland Avenue Winchester Massachusetts 01890Voluntary non-profit - Private(781) 729-9000
- Fresenius Medical Care Merrimack Valley2.02 miles away100 Milk Street Methuen Massachusetts 01844CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (978) 686-9900
- Davita North Andover Renal at Home2.73 miles away201 Sutton Street North Andover Massachusetts 01845CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (978) 975-1119
- Fresenius Medical Care of Methuen3.42 miles away421 Merrimack Street Methuen Massachusetts 01844Dialysis Stations: 21 (978) 975-3117
- Bio-Medical Applications of New Hampshire Inc4.58 miles away19 Keewadin Drive Suite 1 Salem New Hampshire 03079Dialysis Stations: 1 (603) 870-0969
- Versailles Dialysis LLC5.01 miles away18 Pelham Road Salem New Hampshire 03079Dialysis Stations: 10 (603) 870-9487
- Fresenius Medical Care of Lowell7.98 miles away847 Rogers Street Suite 101 Lowell Massachusetts 01852CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 35 (978) 441-5100
- Fresenius Medical Care Chelmsford11.62 miles away27 Industrial Ave Chelmsford Massachusetts 01824Dialysis Stations: 16 (978) 250-0981
- Davita Nashua Dialysis14.03 miles away38 Tyler Street Nashua New Hampshire 03061CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (603) 598-1665