Napa Valley Care Center is one of five facilities in Napa, California. Sporting an overall grade of B, this is a good facility. Based on our analysis, this place has quite a bit going for it. This place's strong report card was highlighted by its short-term care rating, which is addressed in the next paragraph.
Napa Valley Care Center
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Speech Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Colostomy Care
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
In addition to receiving a strong overall score, this nursing home performed well in short-term care. In fact, we awarded it an A- for that category, which is one of our best scores. Our short-term care ratings are arguably more important for patients requiring a nursing home for rehabilitation. Rehabilitation generally mandates more highly-skilled nursing services. This means not only nursing services, but also physical and speech therapy, as well as other types of therapy. Unfortunately, we were not able to track down information on registered nurse or physical therapy staffing for this nursing home. The final item we assessed in this area is the percentage of patients that eventually returned home from the facility. We found that 7.1 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home as opposed to remaining at the facility on a permanent basis.
Adding to its impressive resume, this nursing home also excelled in the category of nursing. In fact, we awarded it an B+ for that category. Nursing scores are mostly tied to the nursing home's level of nurse staffing. This particular nursing home provided 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This nursing home performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a nursing home has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can typically be avoided if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Does this page answer your questions about Napa Valley Care Center?
Long-term Care Quality
The next category we looked at is long-term care. In that category, we gave this nursing home a decent grade of B-. If you are looking for services other than short-term rehabilitation, you should take a close look at each facility's long-term care grades. In addition to considering the amount of care provided by aids and other staff, we also looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This nursing home administered the vaccine to 100 percent of its patients, which is better than the average nursing home. This nursing home also excelled at keeping its residents out of the hospital. Indeed, it had only 0.01 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Turning to the final category we assessed, this nursing home earned a good grade in inspections as well. In fact, we gave it a B- for that category. This facility didn't have any major weaknesses. Inspection scores weigh a host of factors included in a facility's inspection report. One of the most important criteria we look at is the quantity and severity of deficiencies. Although this place had some deficiencies on its government inspection report, none were severe based on CMS' scale. A few relatively minor deficiencies aren't something to panic about.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Napa Valley Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Napa Valley Care Center, 7.62% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of patients who suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin caused by staying in one position for an excessive period of time.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Napa Valley Care Center, 1.67% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percent of residents who have had a fall leading to serious injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Napa Valley Care Center, 1.21% of Patients had UTIs
This statistic gauges the percent of long-term patients that suffered from UTI's. Although more of these infections may reflect poorly on a facility's hygiene protocols, it is problematic to compare between facilities due to facilities having varying reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Napa Valley Care Center, 10.06% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percent of patients given antipsychotic drugs. Antipsychotic medications are administered to patients for a variety of conditions, such as Alzheimer's or other dementias. Tragically, in some cases, excessive reliance on these medications may suggest that a nursing home is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Napa Valley Care Center, 13.91% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This statistic measures the percentage of long-term stay residents who were given antianxiety drugs. These medications are commonly given to residents suffering from anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Napa Valley Care Center, 4.33% of Patients
This is the percentage of patients demonstrating signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Napa Valley Care Center, 95.72% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents that have received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Napa Valley Care Center, 8.37% Percentage of Patients
This is the percentage of residents that needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Napa Valley Care Center, 14.05% Percentage of Residents
This is the percentage of patients that maintained mobility over time. Optimizing mobility is often a good sign for residents' well-being.
In Napa Valley Care Center, 1.49 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This datapoint measures the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Napa Valley Care Center, 14.05 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Napa Valley Care Center, 9.85 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care. There is a correlation between staying out of the emergency room and the quality of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Napa Valley Care Center, 79.63% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percentage of short-term stay residents that saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. High levels of autonomy with ADL's usually correlates with superior rehabilitation.
Scores for Napa, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of A
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Napa, California has 4 other nursing homes
- Queen of the Valley Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 0.2 miles away1000 Trancas St Napa California 94558Voluntary non-profit - Church(707) 252-4411
- Sonoma Valley HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.57 miles away347 Andrieux St Sonoma California 95476Government - Hospital District or Authority(707) 935-5000
- Sutter Solano Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 13.69 miles away300 Hospital Dr Vallejo California 94589Voluntary non-profit - Private(707) 554-5280
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital and Rehab CenterAcute Care Hospitals 13.74 miles away975 Sereno Dr Vallejo California 94589Voluntary non-profit - Other(707) 651-1000
- Northbay Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 13.93 miles away1200 B Gale Wilson Blvd Fairfield California 94533Voluntary non-profit - Other(707) 646-5000
- 60th Medical Group (Travis Afb)Acute Care - Department of Defense 18.36 miles away103 Bodin Circle Fairfield Fairfield California 94533Department of Defense(707) 423-7300
- Petaluma Valley HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 18.85 miles away400 N Mcdowell Blvd Petaluma California 94954Voluntary non-profit - Other(707) 778-1111
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital - VacavilleAcute Care Hospitals 19.64 miles away1 Quality Drive Vacaville California 95688Voluntary non-profit - Private(707) 624-4000
- Silverado Dialysis0.33 miles away1100 Trancas, Suite 267 Napa California 94558Dialysis Stations: 10 (707) 224-6533
- Usrc Napa, LLC0.38 miles away3219 Jefferson Street Napa California 94558Dialysis Stations: 13 (707) 501-5301
- Napa Dialysis Center0.81 miles away3900-C Bel Aire Plaza #C Napa California 94558CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (707) 253-8938
- Fairfield Dialysis Center11.35 miles away4660 Central Way Fairfield California 94534CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (707) 863-7369
- Rai Chadbourne12.99 miles away490 Chadbourne Road Ste D Fairfield California 94534CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (707) 434-9088
- Satellite Dialysis Vallejo13.46 miles away4300 Sonoma Blvd, Suite 25 Vallejo California 94589CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 33 (707) 561-7150
- Wellbound of Vallejo13.96 miles away480 Redwood Street Suite 40 Vallejo California 94590Dialysis Stations: 4 (707) 556-3070
- Vallejo Dialysis Center14.04 miles away830 Redwood Street Vallejo California 94590CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (707) 642-2017