Mystic Park Nursing & Rehab Center is an average-sized facility in San Antonio, Texas. We gave this facility an overall score of F. This nursing home didn't have much going for it. If you aren't deterred by this nursing home's profile, you can continue reading to find out about its category scores. Inspection reports are discussed in the next paragraph.
Mystic Park Nursing & Rehab Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
Although we graded this facility incredibly poorly overall, it actually earned a fairly impressive inspection report this year. As a result, it received one of our better grades in that area with a B+. Arguably the most critical factor we consider in computing our inspection grades is deficiencies. Deficiencies are found on a facility's recent inspection reports. It is generally best to avoid facilities that had a long list of deficiencies. While this facility had some minor dings on its government inspection report, it had no severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are labeled as categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This tells you CMS didn't consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. A few minor deficiencies are not the end of the world.
Long-term Care Quality
We awarded this facility just a D for our long-term care score and that actually wound up as its next highest score. For residents seeking a permanent place to live rather than rehabilitation, long-term care grades are a key measure. Once we concluded our assessment of the volume of care provided by nurses, we then looked at the facility's vaccination data. We were pleased to find that this nursing home vaccinated 98.61591 percent of its residents against pneumonia. Surprisingly, this nursing home was able to keep its patients out of the hospital. It had just 0 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days. Sadly, a few of its other scores in the category were not as favorable as these.
Does this page answer your questions about Mystic Park Nursing & Rehab Center?
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home ended up receiving a a very poor grade in our short-term care category. It was given an F in this area. In our short-term care category, we attempt to create a sound barometer for rehabilitation. In doing so, we assess a nursing home's scope of highly-skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as speech therapy. Based on its grade in this area, we weren't surprised to learn that this place was well below average in terms of its number of registered nurse and physical therapy hours provided to its patients based on the data we looked at. The last measure we looked at in this category is the number of residents that eventually returned home from the nursing home. This nursing home struggled quite a bit in this area as well, with just 5.3 percent of its residents returning home.
The last area we rated was nursing. Unfortunately, we gave it an abysmal F in this area, which is a poor score. When calculating a nursing home's nursing rating, we consider the amount of time nurses spend with residents and the levels of training of those nurses. This facility provided just 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a very low total compared to most nursing homes. Lastly, we also assessed some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing grades. This facility performed well in the area of avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these data points to be measures of the quality of nursing care.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Mystic Park Nursing & Rehab Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Mystic Park Nursing & Rehab Center, 7.79% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of patients who have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered to be an indicator of nursing care at a nursing home. Pressure ulcers, which are also known as bed sores, are often caused by patients not being moved frequently enough.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Mystic Park Nursing & Rehab Center, 3.33% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percent of patients who have had a major fall. Falls resulting in major injury are often linked to poor nursing care. Better nursing care reduces the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain major falls.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Mystic Park Nursing & Rehab Center, 1.51% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percentage of residents that sustained a urinary tract infection. UTI's are considered to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care . UTI's are routinely caused by lower quality nursing care. Nevertheless, this datapoint could also be misleading for some facilities due to different reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Mystic Park Nursing & Rehab Center, 11.48% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percentage of residents prescribed antipsychotic medications. Antipsychotic medications are prescribed to patients for many conditions, such as dementia. Unfortunately, in some situations, excessive reliance on these medications may indicate a nursing home is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Mystic Park Nursing & Rehab Center, 22.56% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This measures the percentage of long-term stay patients who were given antianxiety medication. These medications are generally prescribed to residents suffering from anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Mystic Park Nursing & Rehab Center, 4.81% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term stay patients exhibiting depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Mystic Park Nursing & Rehab Center, 94.64% of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients that were administered the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Mystic Park Nursing & Rehab Center, 17.1% Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the percent of long-term residents that needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as taking medications and bathing.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Mystic Park Nursing & Rehab Center, 16.36% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term care residents that maintained mobility. Many would argue that mobility is critical to residents' health.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Mystic Park Nursing & Rehab Center, 16.36 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint measures the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term patient care. Staying out of the hospital during rehabilitation is key to restoring the health of patients.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Mystic Park Nursing & Rehab Center, 11.4 Percentage of Patients
Measures the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term care. Avoiding medical emergencies is one way to measure patient well-being during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Mystic Park Nursing & Rehab Center, 66.86% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percent of short-term residents that saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Higher levels of autonomy with ADL's often correlates with successful rehabilitation.
Scores for San Antonio, TX
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? San Antonio, Texas has 61 other nursing homes
- Methodist Ambulatory Surgery Hospital NwAcute Care Hospitals 2.87 miles away9150 Huebner Rd Suite 100 San Antonio Texas 78240Proprietary(210) 575-5000
- Foundation Surgical Hospital of San AntonioAcute Care Hospitals 3.12 miles away9522 Huebner Road San Antonio Texas 78240Proprietary(210) 478-5400
- Christus Santa Rosa Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.19 miles away2827 Babcock Road San Antonio Texas 78229Voluntary non-profit - Church(210) 704-3342
- University Health SystemAcute Care Hospitals 4.1 miles away4502 Medical Dr San Antonio Texas 78229Government - Hospital District or Authority(210) 358-2637
- Methodist HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.38 miles away7700 Floyd Curl Dr San Antonio Texas 78229Proprietary(210) 575-4000
- Legent Orthopedic + SpineAcute Care Hospitals 5.71 miles away5330 North Loop 1604 West San Antonio Texas 78249Proprietary(717) 620-2424
- Children's Hospital of San AntonioChildrens 10.92 miles away333 N Santa Rosa St San Antonio Texas 78207Voluntary non-profit - Private(210) 704-3342
- Baptist Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.97 miles away111 Dallas Street San Antonio Texas 78205Proprietary(210) 297-8256
- Us Renal Care Bandera Road Dialysis1.06 miles away7831 Westchase San Antonio Texas 78238Dialysis Stations: 25 (210) 682-1300
- Floyd Curl Dialysis3.1 miles away9238 Floyd Curl Drive, Suite 102 San Antonio Texas 78240Dialysis Stations: 20 (210) 561-4373
- Fresenius Medical Care Westover Hills3.3 miles away9010 Culebra Rd San Antonio Texas 78251CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (210) 520-4303
- Davita Roadrunner Dialysis3.33 miles away5010 Wiseman Blvd San Antonio Texas 78251Dialysis Stations: 24 (210) 520-0341
- Bma Northwest Bexar County3.38 miles away5131 Medical Drive Suite 110 San Antonio Texas 78229CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 37 (210) 338-7742
- Northwest Medical Center Dialysis3.45 miles away5284 Medical Drive Suite 135 San Antonio Texas 78229CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (210) 616-9699
- Lockehill Kidney Disease Clinic3.6 miles away10134 Huebner Road San Antonio Texas 78240Dialysis Stations: 15 (210) 641-6000
- University Health System Children's Kidney Center4.03 miles away4502 Medical Drive Ms 111-1 San Antonio Texas 78229Dialysis Stations: 8 (210) 358-8309