Mountain View Convalescent Hospital is located in Sylmar, California, a city with a population of 91,725 people. This facility received an overall rating of F. If you are not satisfied with this facility's mediocre overall grade, you will be pleased to know there are five other nursing homes in Sylmar. We wouldn't blame you if you are ready to stop reading and find another facility. However, if you want to learn more about this nursing home's category grades, we will discuss short-term care in the next section.
Mountain View Convalescent Hospital
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Individual
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Occupational Therapy
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
Even though we gave this facility a terrible overall grade, we awarded it a B for our short-term care rating. Our short-term care ratings are based in part on the nursing home's quantity of skilled highly skilled professionals. This includes a vast spectrum of services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and occupational therapists, in addition to other variations of therapy. Fortunately, it appear that this facility has registered nurses on staff. Not all nursing homes employs these types of nurses. However, according to the data they provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. The last item we assessed in this area is the percentage of patients who eventually returned home from the nursing home. We found that 5.7 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home as opposed to remaining at the facility on a permanent basis.
One of the other reasons we rated this nursing home so highly is that it earned a very impressive nursing rating. In that category, we gave this facility a grade of C. When determining a facility's nursing score, we look at the quantity of hours nurses are caring for patients and the skill levels of the nurses. This nursing home averages just 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a very low figure. Lastly, despite not having the highest total nursing hours per resident, this facility actually performed admirably in the area of preventing major falls. This is usually a good indicator that a nursing home has quality controls in place.
Does this page answer your questions about Mountain View Convalescent Hospital?
Long-term Care Quality
Turning to the category of long-term care, this facility was awarded a grade of just D in this area. For prospective residents looking for a permanent place to live rather than rehabilitation, long-term care grades are a key measure. On top of looking at the amount of care provided by aids and other staff, we also looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This facility vaccinated 100 percent of its patients. To our surprise, this nursing home was able to limit hospitalizations. With just 0.03 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, this nursing home has fewer hospitalizations than many nursing homes. Sadly, a few of its other scores in this category weren't as favorable as these.
Moving on the last category of inspections, this nursing home had an abysmal showing. Sadly, it received an F in our inspection category. This happens to be our most heavily weighted category in our scoring system. When a nursing home has this poor of an inspection grade, you should look for severe deficiencies on its inspection report. Severe deficiencies indicate a risk to patient safety. This particular facility was assessed 9 deficiencies by CMS. The only positive thing we found is that none of the deficiencies were in the categories that indicate they created a threat to resident health or safety. Finally, this facility also received 49 substantiated complaints in recent years. This is yet another bad sign.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Mountain View Convalescent Hospital Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Mountain View Convalescent Hospital, 7.62% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percent of patients that suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also referred to as bed sores, are routinely the result of residents staying in one position for too long. Better nursing care can minimize the number of pressure ulcers sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Mountain View Convalescent Hospital, 1.67% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percent of residents that suffered from a major fall. Falls resulting in serious injury are considered to be an indicator of nursing care at a nursing home. Falls are often caused by lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Mountain View Convalescent Hospital, 1.21% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percent of patients that have had a urinary tract infection. UTI's are considered to be a measure of nursing care . UTI's are often caused by a facility with worst hygiene practices. However, this datapoint may be skewed for some facilities due to different reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Mountain View Convalescent Hospital, 10.06% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percent of patients who were given antipsychotic drugs. Antipsychotic drugs are prescribed to residents for many conditions, such as Alzheimer's or other dementias. Tragically, in limited cases, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may suggest that a facility is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Mountain View Convalescent Hospital, 13.91% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This statistic gauges the percent of long-term patients taking antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Mountain View Convalescent Hospital, 4.33% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term patients who are demonstrating symptoms of depression. Many would argue that this is a reasonable measure of quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Mountain View Convalescent Hospital, 95.72% of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents who were administered the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be deadly for seniors, making these types of vaccines critical to patient safety.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Mountain View Convalescent Hospital, 8.37% Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents who needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as getting dressed and eating.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Mountain View Convalescent Hospital, 14.05% Percentage of Residents
This metric measures the percent of long-term care patients who maintained mobility.
In Mountain View Convalescent Hospital, 1.49 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This datapoint measures the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Mountain View Convalescent Hospital, 14.05 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is a measure of the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Mountain View Convalescent Hospital, 9.85 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is a correlation between having fewer emergency room visits and the overall quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Mountain View Convalescent Hospital, 79.63% Percentage of Resident
Measures the percent of short-term stay patients that experienced functional improvements.
Scores for Sylmar, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-minus
Looking for more options? Sylmar, California has 5 other nursing homes
- Lac/Olive View-Ucla Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.47 miles away14445 Olive View Drive Sylmar California 91342Voluntary non-profit - Other(818) 364-1555
- Providence Holy Cross Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.04 miles away15031 Rinaldi St Mission Hills California 91346Voluntary non-profit - Church(818) 365-8051
- Pacifica Hospital of the ValleyAcute Care Hospitals 5.31 miles away9449 San Fernando Rd Sun Valley California 91352Proprietary(818) 767-3310
- Northridge Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.78 miles away18300 Roscoe Blvd Northridge California 91325Voluntary non-profit - Private(818) 885-8500
- Sherman Oaks HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.67 miles away4929 Van Nuys Blvd Sherman Oaks California 91403Voluntary non-profit - Private(818) 981-7111
- Providence Tarzana Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 11.52 miles away18321 Clark Street Tarzana California 91356Voluntary non-profit - Private(818) 881-0800
- Providence Saint Joseph Medical CtrAcute Care Hospitals 12.24 miles away501 South Buena Vista Street Burbank California 91505Voluntary non-profit - Church(818) 843-5111
- Usc Verdugo Hills HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 14.22 miles away1812 Verdugo Blvd Glendale California 91209Voluntary non-profit - Private(818) 790-7100
- Nrc-Sylmar Dialysis, LLC2.09 miles away12151 San Fernando Rd. Sylmar California 91342CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (818) 465-9464
- Fmc-San Fernando2.55 miles away451 S. Brand Blvd., Suite 100 San Fernando California 91340CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (818) 837-9980
- Fmc-Rai-South Brand-San Fernando2.55 miles away501 S. Brand Blvd. San Fernando California 91340Dialysis Stations: 5 (818) 365-5270
- Holy Cross Renal Center3.77 miles away14901 Rinaldi Street, Suite 100 Mission Hills California 91345CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 52 (818) 365-6961
- Fmc-Mission Hills3.77 miles away11550 Indian Hills Road, Suite 100 Mission Hills California 91345CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 23 (818) 898-1724
- Nrc-Kidney Care Center of North Valley, Inc5.69 miles away16907 Devonshire Street Granada Hills California 91344CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (818) 366-4600
- Laurel Canyon Dialysis, LLC5.88 miles away8987 Laurel Canyon Blvd. Sun Valley California 91352CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (818) 771-9950
- u.s. Renal Care Panorama City Dialysis6.49 miles away14600 Roscoe Blvd. Panorama City California 91402CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 36 (818) 901-9822