Mount Carmel Senior Living - St Charles is an average-sized nursing home located in Saint Charles, Missouri. Sporting an overall grade of A-, this nursing home is one of the better facilities we looked at. Based on our ratings, this facility is really as good as it gets. This nursing home's impressive profile was highlighted by its inspection grade, which you can find in the next paragraph.
Mount Carmel Senior Living - St Charles
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
723 First Capitol Drive,
Saint Charles MO 63301
79.16% estimated occupancy 1
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
Best Nursing Home in Saint Charles, Missouri Awards 2019
Top Nursing Home in Missouri Awards 2020
Registered Staff Hours
With an overall grade this high, it should come as no surprise that this nursing home performed well in the area of inspections, where it earned a grade of A. Inspection ratings account for a host of factors found on a nursing home's inspection report. One key criteria we weigh heavily is the quantity and severity of deficiencies. Facilities with better grades in this category tend to have few severe deficiencies. Fortunately, although this facility had some minor dings on its report, it had zero severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are found in categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This means CMS did not deem any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. Keep in mind that deficiency-free inspections are uncommon in this industry.
Long-term Care Quality
Contributing to its profile, this nursing home also earned a score of B+ for its long-term care rating. This is a well above average score in this category. Long-term care grades of this caliber generally require both 24/7 care from nurses and aids, as well as quality routine healthcare services. After considering the quantity of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we then looked at the facility's vaccination record. This nursing home vaccinated 100 percent of its residents for pneumonia. Vaccines are critical to keeping patients out of the hospital. Clearly, this nursing home is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its residents out of the hospital. In fact, it had only 0 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Mount Carmel Senior Living - St Charles?
Adding to its profile, this facility also earned a grade of B+ for its nursing rating. This is a well above average score in this category. The nursing score weighs many subcategories. The most heavily weighted factor is the amount of time nurses spend with patients. This nursing home provides 0.5 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing grades. This nursing home performed very well in the area of avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Short-term Care Quality
The last area we scored was short-term care. We gave this facility one of our more favorable grades in that area, with a B. Although this wasn't as strong as many of this facility's other grades, it is nevertheless a positive score. In forming our short-term care grades, we quantify the facility's skilled nursing services, including those performed by registered nurses, speech therapists, physical therapists and other types of therapists. Our objective is to formulate a scale for comparing the rehabilitation services of various facilities. Unfortunately, we weren't able to find information on registered nurse or physical therapy staffing for this nursing home. The last datapoint we assessed in this area is the percentage of residents who who were able to eventually return home from the nursing home. We found that 5.6 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home as opposed to remaining at the nursing home on a permanent basis.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Mount Carmel Senior Living - St Charles Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Mount Carmel Senior Living - St Charles, 9.28% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This measures the percentage of long-term patients who suffered from pressure ulcers or bed sores. We use this statistic in calculating both nursing and long-term care grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Mount Carmel Senior Living - St Charles, 3.89% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of residents that have had a major fall. Falls leading to serious injuries are considered to be a barometer of nursing care at a nursing home. Major falls which result in injury are routinely the result of lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Mount Carmel Senior Living - St Charles, 3.39% of Patients had UTIs
This datapoint indicates the percent of long-term stay patients who suffered from urinary tract infections. Although a higher rate of these infections may reflect poorly on a facility's hygiene protocols, it can be problematic to compare different facilities due to nursing homes having differing reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Mount Carmel Senior Living - St Charles, 20.47% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percentage of residents who were given antipsychotic medications. Antipsychotic drugs are prescribed to patients for many conditions, such as dementia. Sadly, in some cases, increased usage of these drugs may mean a nursing home is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Mount Carmel Senior Living - St Charles, 24.32% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percentage of long-term patients that are prescribed antianxiety medication. These medications are given to residents suffering from anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Mount Carmel Senior Living - St Charles, 4.19% of Patients
This is the percentage of residents exhibiting symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Mount Carmel Senior Living - St Charles, 88.53% of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents who received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Mount Carmel Senior Living - St Charles, 14.79% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients that needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of needing for assistance with ADL's could indicate the erosion of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Mount Carmel Senior Living - St Charles, 14.68% Percentage of Residents
This is the percent of residents who retained mobility levels over time. Retaining mobility can be a good sign for residents' well-being.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Mount Carmel Senior Living - St Charles, 14.68 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is usually a correlation between keeping patients out of the hospital and a nursing homes short-term rehabilitation performance.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Mount Carmel Senior Living - St Charles, 11.55 Percentage of Patients
Measures the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. Avoiding medical emergencies is one way to assess patient well-being during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Mount Carmel Senior Living - St Charles, 72.81% Percentage of Resident
This metric is a measure of the percentage of short-term stay residents that saw functional improvements.
Scores for Saint Charles, MO
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Saint Charles, Missouri has 5 other nursing homes
- Ssm Health St Joseph Hospital-St CharlesAcute Care Hospitals 0.38 miles away300 1st Capitol Dr Saint Charles Missouri 63301Voluntary non-profit - Private(636) 947-5000
- Ssm Health Depaul Hospital St LouisAcute Care Hospitals 3.91 miles away12303 Depaul Drive Bridgeton Missouri 63044Voluntary non-profit - Private(314) 344-6000
- Barnes-Jewish St Peters HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.8 miles away10 Hospital Dr Saint Peters Missouri 63376Voluntary non-profit - Other(636) 916-9000
- Barnes-Jewish West County HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.4 miles away12634 Olive Boulevard Saint Louis Missouri 63141Voluntary non-profit - Private(314) 996-8000
- St Lukes HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.98 miles away232 S Woods Mill Rd Chesterfield Missouri 63017Voluntary non-profit - Private(314) 434-1500
- Missouri Baptist Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.45 miles away3015 N Ballas Rd Saint Louis Missouri 63131Voluntary non-profit - Private(314) 996-5000
- Progress West HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 12.04 miles away2 Progress Point Pkwy O Fallon Missouri 63368Voluntary non-profit - Private(636) 344-1000
- Christian Hospital Northeast-NorthwestAcute Care Hospitals 13.58 miles away11133 Dunn Road Saint Louis Missouri 63136Voluntary non-profit - Private(314) 653-5000
- Us Renal Care St Charles Dialysis3.8 miles away2655 Muegge Road Suite 101 Saint Charles Missouri 63303Dialysis Stations: 12 (636) 447-2490
- Fmc - Bridgeton4.04 miles away12380 Natural Bridge Rd Bridgeton Missouri 63044Dialysis Stations: 21 (314) 344-3020
- St Peters Dialysis5.11 miles away300 1st Executive Ave #A Saint Peters Missouri 63376Dialysis Stations: 12 (636) 441-6070
- Quality Care Dialysis Centers - Bridgeton5.4 miles away12484 St. Charles Rock Rd Bridgeton Missouri 63044Dialysis Stations: 14 (314) 298-0320
- Hazelwood Dialysis6.85 miles away637 Dunn Road #125 Hazelwood Missouri 63042CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (314) 731-8039
- St. Louis Regional Dialysis Center, Inc.6.92 miles away10951 St. Charles Rock Road Saint Ann Missouri 63074Dialysis Stations: 17 (314) 739-4691
- Saint Charles County Dialysis7.25 miles away335 Mid Rivers Mall Dr Saint Peters Missouri 63376Dialysis Stations: 21 (636) 970-3730
- Creve Coeur Dialysis Center7.48 miles away1009 Executive Pkwy #100 Saint Louis Missouri 63141CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 40 (314) 434-4770