Mount Carmel Senior Living - St Charles is an average-sized nursing home located in Saint Charles, Missouri. Sporting an overall grade of B, this nursing home is a great option. Based on our ratings, this facility ought to meet the needs of most people. This facility was stronger in some categories than others, but it did not have any poor grades in any of our major categories discussed below. More information about these categories can be found below.
Mount Carmel Senior Living - St Charles
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to receiving a great overall score, this nursing home also earned top notch health inspections in recent years. We gave them one of our best grades in that area, with an A. Perhaps the most significant factor we look at in computing our inspection grades is deficiencies. These deficiencies are found on a facility's inspection reports. Facilities with higher grades in this area typically avoided the most severe deficiencies involving health risks or even death. While this place had some deficiencies on its inspection report, none of them were major deficiencies based on CMS' scale. Remember that deficiency-free inspection reports are rare in the industry.
Long-term Care Quality
Adding to its profile, this facility also earned a grade of B+ for its long-term care rating. This is an above average grade in this category. Long-term care scores in this range generally require both 24/7 care from nurses and aids, as well as quality routine medical care. On top of considering the amount of care provided by aids and other staff, we also looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This nursing home vaccinated 100 percent of its residents, which is much higher than the majority of nursing homes. Lastly, this nursing home was able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had only 0 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Mount Carmel Senior Living - St Charles?
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home's third highest area ended up being its short-term care score, where it received a grade of B-. In the category of short-term care, we try to assess measures of a facility's rehabilitation services. We assess a nursing home's skilled nursing services, such as those performed by registered nurses and physical, occupational and other therapists. Unfortunately, we were not able to locate information about this nursing home's registered nurse or physical therapy staffing. Lastly, we considered the number of patients who returned home from this facility. We found that 6.1 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home. This figure was quite a bit below the national average.
Our final category is nursing, where we gave this facility a grade of B- in that area. Our nursing rating is largely based on a facility's level of nurse staffing. This facility provided just 0.5 hours of nursing care per resident each day. This is a relatively low total compared to most other facilities. Finally, nursing scores also factor in quality-based metrics, such as avoiding major falls. Despite not having the highest total nursing hours, this facility performed admirably in the area of preventing major falls. This is usually a good indicator that a place has quality controls in place. Many falls can be avoided if a facility supplies enough nurses aids to assist its patients.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Mount Carmel Senior Living - St Charles Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Mount Carmel Senior Living - St Charles, 9.32% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percentage of residents that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered to be a barometer of nursing care . Pressure ulcers, also called bed sores, are often the result of residents not being moved frequently enough.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Mount Carmel Senior Living - St Charles, 3.98% of Patients had Serious Falls
This figure is an indication of the percent of long-term stay patients that sustained falls which caused major injury. Falls can happen for a variety of reasons, but excessive numbers of falls could be an indication of lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Mount Carmel Senior Living - St Charles, 3.42% of Patients had UTIs
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients who have experienced urinary tract infections. UTI's may be a sign of a facility with worst hygiene practices. Nevertheless, this statistic may be skewed for certain facilities due to inconsistent reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Mount Carmel Senior Living - St Charles, 20.31% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percentage of patients prescribed antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic medications may be vital to many patients, it is important to make sure these medications are being used only where medically required. In some cases, excessive reliance on these medications may suggest a facility is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Mount Carmel Senior Living - St Charles, 24.54% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percent of patients who were prescribed antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety medications are prescribed to patients experiencing anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Mount Carmel Senior Living - St Charles, 4.11% of Patients
This is the percentage of residents who are showing signs of depression. Increased levels of depression could imply worse patient care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Mount Carmel Senior Living - St Charles, 88.89% of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients that received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Mount Carmel Senior Living - St Charles, 14.76% Percentage of Patients
Measures the percent of long-term care patients who required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as moving around and bathing. Some would argue this is a reasonable measure of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Mount Carmel Senior Living - St Charles, 15.81% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percentage of residents that were able to retain mobility over time. Retaining mobility is usually a good sign for residents' health.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Mount Carmel Senior Living - St Charles, 15.81 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric measures the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term resident care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Mount Carmel Senior Living - St Charles, 11.79 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care. There is typically a correlation between keeping patients out of the emergency room and the quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Mount Carmel Senior Living - St Charles, 72.5% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percent of short-term stay patients that experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
Scores for Saint Charles, MO
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B
Looking for more options? Saint Charles, Missouri has 5 other nursing homes
- Ssm Health St Joseph Hospital-St CharlesAcute Care Hospitals 0.38 miles away300 1st Capitol Dr Saint Charles Missouri 63301Voluntary non-profit - Private(636) 947-5000
- Ssm Health Depaul Hospital St LouisAcute Care Hospitals 3.91 miles away12303 Depaul Drive Bridgeton Missouri 63044Voluntary non-profit - Private(314) 344-6000
- Barnes-Jewish St Peters HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.8 miles away10 Hospital Dr Saint Peters Missouri 63376Voluntary non-profit - Other(636) 916-9000
- Barnes-Jewish West County HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.4 miles away12634 Olive Boulevard Saint Louis Missouri 63141Voluntary non-profit - Private(314) 996-8000
- St Lukes HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.98 miles away232 S Woods Mill Rd Chesterfield Missouri 63017Voluntary non-profit - Private(314) 434-1500
- Missouri Baptist Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.45 miles away3015 N Ballas Rd Saint Louis Missouri 63131Voluntary non-profit - Private(314) 996-5000
- Progress West HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 12.04 miles away2 Progress Point Pkwy O Fallon Missouri 63368Voluntary non-profit - Private(636) 344-1000
- Christian Hospital Northeast-NorthwestAcute Care Hospitals 13.58 miles away11133 Dunn Road Saint Louis Missouri 63136Voluntary non-profit - Private(314) 653-5000
- Us Renal Care St Charles Dialysis3.8 miles away2655 Muegge Road Suite 101 Saint Charles Missouri 63303Dialysis Stations: 12 (636) 447-2490
- Fmc - Bridgeton4.04 miles away12380 Natural Bridge Rd Bridgeton Missouri 63044Dialysis Stations: 21 (314) 344-3020
- St Peters Dialysis5.11 miles away300 1st Executive Ave #A Saint Peters Missouri 63376Dialysis Stations: 12 (636) 441-6070
- Quality Care Dialysis Centers - Bridgeton5.4 miles away12484 St. Charles Rock Rd Bridgeton Missouri 63044Dialysis Stations: 14 (314) 298-0320
- Hazelwood Dialysis6.85 miles away637 Dunn Road #125 Hazelwood Missouri 63042CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (314) 731-8039
- St. Louis Regional Dialysis Center, Inc.6.92 miles away10951 St. Charles Rock Road Saint Ann Missouri 63074Dialysis Stations: 17 (314) 739-4691
- Saint Charles County Dialysis7.25 miles away335 Mid Rivers Mall Dr Saint Peters Missouri 63376Dialysis Stations: 21 (636) 970-3730
- Creve Coeur Dialysis Center7.48 miles away1009 Executive Pkwy #100 Saint Louis Missouri 63141CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 40 (314) 434-4770