Located in Minneapolis, Minnesota, Mn Veterans Home Minneapolis is on a list of 52 facilities this area. After receiving an overall rating of A, this facility is ranked among the highest-graded facilities we found. In fact, we ranked this nursing home in the top 20 percent of all nursing homes in the nation. One of the best aspects of this facility's exemplary report card is its nursing rating. Nursing grades are discussed in the next paragraph.
Mn Veterans Home Minneapolis
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
5101 Minnehaha Avenue South,
Minneapolis MN 55417
75.6% estimated occupancy 1
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- Government - State
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Top Nursing Home in Minnesota Awards 2019
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to being a first rate nursing home overall, this nursing home also excelled in the area of nursing, where it received an A+. Few nursing homes fared better in this area. Our nursing grade analyzes a handful of subcategories, most of which are tied to levels of nurse staffing. This facility provided 0.6 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing grades. This nursing home performed very well in the area of avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Short-term Care Quality
We also want to emphasize the fact that this nursing home was given an impressive score of A- in our short-term care category. In the category of short-term care, we seek to qualify indicators of a facility's rehabilitation. We analyze a nursing home's skilled nursing services, including the ones performed by registered nurses and physical therapists. Fortunately, it looks like this nursing home employs registered nurses. Not all nursing homes employs these skilled professionals. However, according to the data they provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. Finally, we assessed the percentage of residents that were able to return home from this facility. We found that 0 percent of this facility's patients returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about Mn Veterans Home Minneapolis?
Long-term Care Quality
This facility also was awarded a impressive long-term care score. This actually ended up being its third most impressive category score. In that category, this facility received a score of A-. Nursing homes that excel in long-term care typically provide patients with closer supervision and stay on top of routine medical care. After we finished looking at the volume of nursing care, we then looked at the nursing home's vaccination record. This nursing home vaccinated 99.15254 percent of its residents for pneumonia, which is very impressive. Pneumonia is too frequently a dangerous ailment for nursing home residents so we strongly prefer when a nursing home doesn't leave this to chance. Clearly, this place is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its patients out of the hospital. In fact, it had only 0 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Another impressive feature for this place is its inspection grade. In that area, we gave this facility an A-, finishing off its straight A performance. Arguably the most critical factor we look at in calculating our inspection ratings is deficiencies. Deficiencies can be found on a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Nursing homes with better scores in this area most likely dodged the more severe deficiencies involving things like patient abuse. This particular nursing home received 7 deficiencies on its inspection report. Overall, this is still a good inspection report, but we'd always recommend looking into any deficiencies you find troubling.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Mn Veterans Home Minneapolis Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Mn Veterans Home Minneapolis, 6.69% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This metric indicates the percentage of long-term care patients which developed pressure ulcers or bed sores. We bake this statistic into both nursing and long-term care grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Mn Veterans Home Minneapolis, 4.21% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percentage of patients who suffered from a major fall. Falls leading to severe injuries are considered to be a barometer of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. Major falls are routinely caused by lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Mn Veterans Home Minneapolis, 2.83% of Patients had UTIs
This datapoint is an indication of the percentage of long-term residents who have had UTI's. While more of these infections may reflect poorly on a facility's nursing care, it is problematic to compare different facilities due to nursing homes having varying reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Mn Veterans Home Minneapolis, 16.64% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This metric indicates the percent of long-term patients receiving antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic drugs serve an important medical purpose, it is important to make sure these medications are being used appropriately. In some cases, increased usage of these drugs may suggest a facility is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Mn Veterans Home Minneapolis, 12.33% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percent of patients given antianxiety drugs. These medications are generally used to treat residents experiencing depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Mn Veterans Home Minneapolis, 4.58% of Patients
Measures the percent of long-term stay patients exhibiting symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Mn Veterans Home Minneapolis, 93.31% of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term care residents who were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Mn Veterans Home Minneapolis, 13.09% Percentage of Patients
This is the percentage of patients who needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Mn Veterans Home Minneapolis, 18.07% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term patients who were able to retain mobility. Many argue that mobility is important for patients mental and physical well-being.
In Mn Veterans Home Minneapolis, 1.31 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care. There is a correlation between avoiding hospitalizations and the overall quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Mn Veterans Home Minneapolis, 18.07 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Scores for Minneapolis, MN
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Minneapolis, Minnesota has 51 other nursing homes
- Abbott Northwestern HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.84 miles away800 East 28th Street Minneapolis Minnesota 55407Voluntary non-profit - Private(612) 863-4457
- University of Minnesota Medical Center, FairviewAcute Care Hospitals 4.05 miles away2450 Riverside Avenue Minneapolis Minnesota 55454Voluntary non-profit - Private(612) 273-3000
- Children's Hospitals & Clinics of MnChildrens 4.07 miles away2525 Chicago Avenue South Minneapolis Minnesota 55404Voluntary non-profit - Private(612) 813-6112
- Hennepin County Medical Center 1Acute Care Hospitals 5 miles away701 Park Avenue Minneapolis Minnesota 55415Government - Local(612) 873-3629
- United HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.29 miles away333 North Smith Avenue Saint Paul Minnesota 55102Voluntary non-profit - Private(651) 241-8810
- Fairview Southdale HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.17 miles away6401 France Avenue South Minneapolis Minnesota 55435Voluntary non-profit - Private(952) 924-5100
- Regions HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.23 miles away640 Jackson Street Saint Paul Minnesota 55101Voluntary non-profit - Private(651) 254-1616
- Park Nicollet Methodist HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.62 miles away6500 Excelsior Blvd Minneapolis Minnesota 55426Voluntary non-profit - Private(952) 993-5000
- Highland Park Dialysis of Davita3.25 miles away1559 7th St W Saint Paul Minnesota 55102Dialysis Stations: 12 (651) 222-7139
- Fresenius Medical Care - Midway St Paul3.49 miles away1690 University Ave W Suite B - 100 Saint Paul Minnesota 55104Dialysis Stations: 22 (651) 917-0081
- Fmc Dialysis - South Minneapolis3.55 miles away4310 Nicollet Ave Minneapolis Minnesota 55409Dialysis Stations: 12 (612) 822-4411
- U of Mn Med Ctr, Fairview - Dialysis3.99 miles away2450 Riverside Ave Kidney Center South Bldg Minneapolis Minnesota 55454Dialysis Stations: 11 (612) 365-3756
- Bio-Medical Applications of Minnesota, Inc.4.08 miles away2637 Park Ave S Minneapolis Minnesota 55407Dialysis Stations: 14 (612) 872-1946
- Riverside Dialysis of Davita4.16 miles away1045 Westgate Drive Suite 90 Saint Paul Minnesota 55114Dialysis Stations: 20 (651) 645-1847
- Minneapolis Dialysis of Davita4.27 miles away825 S 8th St, sl42 Minneapolis Minnesota 55404CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 26 (612) 347-5972
- Davita - Uptown4.29 miles away3601 Lyndale Avenue South Minneapolis Minnesota 55409Dialysis Stations: 12 (612) 825-4583