Mitchell Manor is located in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, which is among the largest metropolitan areas in the country. Sporting an overall score of D, this is a relatively poor nursing home. Fortunately, this nursing home is one of 24 nursing homes in this city so if you aren't impressed, you should have better options. Despite all this, one of the few highlights of this facility's profile is its impressive inspection reports. You can scroll down to learn more about inspections and other category scores
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
Registered Staff Hours
While we were not high on this place's overall performance, it did receive an impressive inspection report this year with few dings from the applicable government inspectors. As a result, it received one of our better grades in that area with a B. Arguably the most critical factor we consider in computing our inspection scores is deficiencies. These deficiencies are found on a facility's recent inspection reports. It is typically in your best interest to avoid nursing homes that have a long list of deficiencies. This particular nursing home had just a single deficiency on its inspection report and it was not one deemed to pose a threat to patient health or safety. Despite this deficiency, this place still received a relatively positive inspection report.
This facility also earned a very impressive nursing score. This turned out to be its second best category grade. In this category, we awarded this facility a grade of B. In calculating our nursing grades, we assess both nursing hours and the levels of licensure of the nurses. This particular nursing home provided 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed several nursing quality-based metrics and this facility excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any nursing home the state in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can many times be prevented by providing better nursing care, such as by employing a policy of moving a patient at least once a day.
Does this page answer your questions about Mitchell Manor?
Short-term Care Quality
We gave this nursing home just a D for our short-term care score. This is not one of our better scores. In calculating our short-term care ratings, we quantify the nursing home's skilled nursing services, such as those performed by registered nurses, respiratory therapists, physical therapists and other types of therapists. The objective is to create a barometer for sizing up the rehabilitation services of different nursing homes. Based on its score in this area, we were not stunned to learn that this facility is well below average in terms of its quantity of physical therapy and registered nurse hours offered to its residents based on the data we assessed. Frankly, this was what we expected here. Lastly, we looked at the number of patients who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. We found that just 4.4 percent of this facility's patients returned home.
Long-term Care Quality
The next category we assessed was long-term care, where this facility was given a bottom of the barrel grade in this category also. Unfortunately, we gave it an F in this category, which is obviously very concerning. Facilities that don't fare well in this category often don't provide as much nursing care and also may be lagging in some of the areas of routine medical care we looked at. One of the data points we considered after nurse's aid hours is vaccinations. This nursing home administered the pneumonia vaccine to 93.28859 percent of its patients. To our surprise, this place was actually able to limit hospitalizations. With only 0.01 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, this facility had less hospitalizations than many nursing homes. This was its best feature in this category.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Mitchell Manor Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Mitchell Manor, 6.93% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of patients that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered to be a barometer of nursing care . Pressure ulcers, which are also known as bed sores, are routinely the result of patients staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Mitchell Manor, 3.27% of Patients had Serious Falls
This datapoint gauges the percent of long-term residents which sustained a fall which resulted in severe injury. We use this statistic in computing our nursing ratings.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Mitchell Manor, 3.19% of Patients had UTIs
This figure measures the percent of long-term residents which experienced urinary tract infections. Although a higher rate infections could reflect poorly on a nursing home's hygiene protocols, it is difficult to compare different facilities due to facilities having inconsistent reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Mitchell Manor, 13.83% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of patients given antipsychotic drugs. Antipsychotic drugs are administered to residents for many medical conditions, including dementia. Sadly, in limited situations, increased usage of these drugs may suggest a nursing home is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Mitchell Manor, 15.45% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This statistic tells you the percent of long-term patients taking antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Mitchell Manor, 6.26% of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term stay patients showing symptoms of depression. Some experts would argue that this is a reasonable measure of resident quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Mitchell Manor, 92.96% of Patients
Measures the percent of long-term stay residents that were administered the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be fatal for seniors, making these vaccines indispensable.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Mitchell Manor, 13.23% Percentage of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term residents who needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as getting dressed and bathing.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Mitchell Manor, 20.17% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percentage of residents who retained mobility levels over time. Retaining mobility can be a good sign for residents' health.
In Mitchell Manor, 1.28 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric measures the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Mitchell Manor, 20.17 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is a correlation between reduced hospitalizations and the quality of rehabilitation services.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Mitchell Manor, 13.08 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term care. There is usually a correlation between fewer emergency room visits and the overall quality of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Mitchell Manor, 75.51% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percentage of short-term stay residents who experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
Scores for Milwaukee, WI
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B
Looking for more options? Milwaukee, Wisconsin has 23 other nursing homes
- Aurora St Lukes Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.83 miles away2900 W Oklahoma Ave Milwaukee Wisconsin 53215Voluntary non-profit - Private(414) 649-6000
- Aurora West Allis Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.17 miles away8901 W Lincoln Ave Milwaukee Wisconsin 53227Voluntary non-profit - Private(414) 328-6000
- Ascension St Francis HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.62 miles away3237 S 16th St Milwaukee Wisconsin 53215Voluntary non-profit - Private(414) 647-5000
- Childrens Hospital of WisconsinChildrens 3.33 miles away9000 W Wisconsin Ave Milwaukee Wisconsin 53226Voluntary non-profit - Other(414) 266-2000
- Froedtert Memorial Lutheran HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.42 miles away9200 W Wisconsin Ave Milwaukee Wisconsin 53226Voluntary non-profit - Private(414) 805-3000
- Milwaukee County Behavioral Health DivisionPsychiatric 3.87 miles away9455 W Watertown Plank Rd Milwaukee Wisconsin 53226Government - Local(414) 257-5202
- Ascension Se Wisconsin Hospital - St Joseph CampusAcute Care Hospitals 4.89 miles away5000 W Chambers St Milwaukee Wisconsin 53210Voluntary non-profit - Church(414) 447-2130
- Ascension Columbia St Mary's Hospital MilwaukeeAcute Care Hospitals 6.51 miles away2323 N Lake Dr Milwaukee Wisconsin 53211Voluntary non-profit - Church(414) 585-1374
- Fresenius Medical Care Midwest 27th Street Branch1.93 miles away3120 S 27th St Milwaukee Wisconsin 53215CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (414) 643-1714
- Fresenius Medical Care Midwest South2.58 miles away2600 W Howard Ave Milwaukee Wisconsin 53221CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (414) 281-2704
- Davita - Wisconsin Ave2.61 miles away3801 W Wisconsin Ave Milwaukee Wisconsin 53208CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (414) 937-8240
- Davita - Loomis Rd2.74 miles away4120 W Loomis Rd Milwaukee Wisconsin 53221CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (414) 761-4920
- Davita - South Ridge3.35 miles away7740 W Layton Ave Milwaukee Wisconsin 53220CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (414) 281-1313
- Childrens Hospital of Wi3.57 miles awayDialysis Unit - Mail Station 604 9000 W Wisconsin Ave, Box 1997 Milwaukee Wisconsin 53201Dialysis Stations: 5 (414) 266-2840
- Davita - Bluemound3.71 miles away601 North 99th Street Suite 100 Milwaukee Wisconsin 53226CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (414) 755-6300
- Fmc - Centre Point4.03 miles away11340 W Theodore Trecker Way Milwaukee Wisconsin 53214CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (414) 774-1244