Meridian Care Monte Vista is an average-sized nursing home located in San Antonio, Texas. We gave this facility a C overall, which is not a bad score. This is comparable with the city grade in San Antonio, which is a B-. In our view, this place would be a good fit for quite a few people. The best part of this place's report card was is its inspection reports. Inspection grades are discussed in the next section.
Meridian Care Monte Vista
Updated May 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
616 W Russell Pl,
San Antonio TX 78212
36.22% estimated occupancy 1
Registered Staff Hours
We want to point out that this facility really outperformed its overall grade in the category of inspections. In fact, it received a nearly flawless inspection report this year. As a result, it received one of our highest grades in this area with an A-. We take several aspects of a facility's inspection report into consideration in calculating our inspection ratings. One key factor is deficiencies. You should keep in mind that the severity of deficiencies is arguably more meaningful than the number of deficiencies, as some end up being quite insignificant. This nursing home received 10 deficiencies on its inspection report, but none of the deficiencies were considered to be major deficiencies. This indicates that CMS didn't deem any of these deficiencies to be an immediate threat to resident safety or health. A few minor deficiencies should not lead you to cross a nursing home off your list.
This nursing home's nursing grade appears to be one of its better features. The facility received a grade of B- in this category. Our nursing grade is largely associated with a facility's nurse staffing. This nursing home offers extremely high levels of nursing care, averaging 4.7 hours per resident per day. This is well above average. Finally, this facility performed well in some of the quality-based metrics we assessed. In terms of the percentage of its residents suffering from pressure ulcers, this place performed better than the national average.
Does this page answer your questions about Meridian Care Monte Vista?
Long-term Care Quality
The third category we assessed is long-term care, where this nursing home was awarded a grade of C in this category. Our long-term care ratings are crucial for residents in need of non-healthcare services such as personal care. After looking at the quantity of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we next considered the nursing home's vaccination records. We were pleased to find that this facility vaccinated 100 percent of its residents for pneumonia. This nursing home was able to keep its residents out of the hospital. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Short-term Care Quality
The next area we looked at is short-term care. For this category, we awarded this nursing home a grade of C. Short-term care scores are crucial for prospective residents seeking rehabilitation. Rehabilitation generally mandates more skilled nursing. Skilled nursing includes a wide spectrum of services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and speech therapists, as well as other variations of therapy. We were extremely impressed to find that this facility offers its residents substantially more physical therapist hours than most other nursing homes. Lastly, we looked at the number of residents that ultimately returned home from this facility. We found that 0 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home. This figure was actually below the national average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Meridian Care Monte Vista Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Meridian Care Monte Vista, 7.96% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percentage of patients that suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin due to remaining in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Meridian Care Monte Vista, 3.3% of Patients had Serious Falls
This metric gauges the percent of long-term care residents that suffered falls leading to severe injury. Falls can happen for a variety of reasons, but excessive numbers of falls may be a sign of poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Meridian Care Monte Vista, 1.63% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of residents who have had a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are considered to be a measure of nursing care at a nursing home. UTI's are routinely the result of a nursing home with worse hygiene protocols. Nevertheless, this datapoint could be misleading for certain facilities due to different reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Meridian Care Monte Vista, 11.7% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percentage of patients who were prescribed antipsychotic drugs. Antipsychotic medications are administered to patients for a variety of conditions, including Alzheimer's or other dementias. Unfortunately, in some cases, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may indicate a facility is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Meridian Care Monte Vista, 22.57% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percentage of residents prescribed antianxiety drugs. These drugs are generally given to patients suffering from anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Meridian Care Monte Vista, 4.7% of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients who are demonstrating symptoms of depression. Many argue that this is a measure of patient quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Meridian Care Monte Vista, 95.06% of Patients
This is the percent of patients that have received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Meridian Care Monte Vista, 17.37% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients that needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Meridian Care Monte Vista, 17.98% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term stay residents that were able to retain mobility.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Meridian Care Monte Vista, 17.98 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Meridian Care Monte Vista, 66.67% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percent of short-term patients who saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Higher levels of autonomy with activities of daily living generally correlates with better rehabilitation services.
Scores for San Antonio, TX
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? San Antonio, Texas has 51 other nursing homes
- Baptist Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.31 miles away111 Dallas Street San Antonio Texas 78205Proprietary(210) 297-8256
- Children's Hospital of San AntonioChildrens 1.6 miles away333 N Santa Rosa St San Antonio Texas 78207Voluntary non-profit - Private(210) 704-3342
- Nix Health Care SystemAcute Care Hospitals 1.85 miles away414 Navarro, Suite 600 San Antonio Texas 78205Proprietary(210) 271-2188
- Brooke Army Medical Center (Ft Sam Houston)Acute Care - Department of Defense 5.02 miles away3551 Roger Brooke Drive San Antonio Texas 78234Department of Defense(210) 916-4141
- Methodist HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.85 miles away7700 Floyd Curl Dr San Antonio Texas 78229Proprietary(210) 575-4000
- University Health SystemAcute Care Hospitals 6.16 miles away4502 Medical Dr San Antonio Texas 78229Government - Hospital District or Authority(210) 358-2637
- Christus Santa Rosa Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.99 miles away2827 Babcock Road San Antonio Texas 78229Voluntary non-profit - Church(210) 704-3342
- Southwest General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.3 miles away7400 Barlite Blvd San Antonio Texas 78224Physician(210) 921-2000
- Rivercenter Dialysis0.86 miles away1123 N. Main Street Suite 150 San Antonio Texas 78212CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (210) 270-7887
- Downtown San Antonio Dialysis1.11 miles away615 East Quincy St. San Antonio Texas 78215CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (210) 222-1260
- Fmc - Alamo City Dialysis1.18 miles away805 Camden St San Antonio Texas 78215CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 28 (210) 527-1308
- Kidney Disease Clinic of Central San Antonio1.57 miles away305 North Frio San Antonio Texas 78207Dialysis Stations: 30 (210) 225-4733
- Christus Childrens Kidney Center1.58 miles away333 North Santa Rosa Street F-2651 San Antonio Texas 78207Dialysis Stations: 8 (210) 704-4854
- Sng San Saba1.59 miles away315 North San Saba, Suite 101 San Antonio Texas 78207CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (210) 798-1955
- Usrc San Antonio Home Therapies, LLC1.64 miles away215 N San Saba St Suite 314 San Antonio Texas 78207Dialysis Stations: 6 (210) 444-1958
- Usrc San Saba, LLC1.65 miles away215 N San Saba Suite 101 San Antonio Texas 78207Dialysis Stations: 25 (210) 338-3108