Complete Care at Mercerville is in Trenton, New Jersey, a city with a population of 230,121 people. This facility was given a quality overall grade of B, which is better than most of the options in Trenton. You could definitely do much worse than this place. We were also pleased to find that this nursing home did not have any weak links in any of the major categories discussed below. Additional information about these categories can be found below.
Complete Care at Mercerville
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
2240 Whitehorse-Mercerville Road,
Trenton NJ 08619
87.54% estimated occupancy 1
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Amputee Recovery
- Palliative Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Bariatric Care
- Colostomy Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
Registered Staff Hours
This nursing home received a strong overall grade as described above, but we especially would like to emphasize its nearly flawless inspections in recent years. We awarded them an A+ in this category. Arguably the most significant factor we look at in calculating our inspection scores is deficiencies. Deficiencies can be found on a facility's recent inspection reports. Facilities with better grades in this area typically avoided the most severe deficiencies involving patient abuse or death. Fortunately, although this place had a few minor dings on its report, it had zero severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are those labeled as categories G through L. This tells you that CMS did not consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient health or safety. We should note that deficiency-free inspections are rare in this industry.
Long-term Care Quality
In addition, this facility also received favorable long-term care grades this year. Indeed, we awarded it one of our higher grades in that area, with a grade of B. When facilities receive a grade in this range in this category it generally means it's well-staffed and is an overall good place to live on a permanent basis. Once we looked at the quantity of care provided by aids and other staff, we next considered the nursing home's vaccination data. This nursing home vaccinated 100 percent of its residents against pneumonia. Vaccines are critical to keeping patients out of the hospital. Clearly, this facility is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its patients out of the hospital. It had only 0.04 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Complete Care at Mercerville ?
Short-term Care Quality
This facility also was awarded an impressive short-term care score. Indeed, we awarded it an above average score of B in this area. Our short-term care grades are critical for prospective residents needing rehabilitation. Rehabilitation generally requires higher levels of highly-skilled nursing. This includes a wide range of services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and respiratory therapists, as well as other types of therapy. Fortunately, it appear that this facility employs registered nurses. Not every nursing home employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, according to the information they provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. The final measure we considered in this category is the percentage of patients who eventually returned home from the nursing home. We found that 5.6 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home as opposed to remaining at the facility on a permanent basis.
The next category we assessed is nursing. We awarded it a B- in this area. This is a perfectly acceptable grade in this area. The nursing grade weighs many data points. The most heavily weighted one is the amount of time nurses spent with residents. This nursing home provides 0.3 hours of nursing care per patient on a daily basis. This is a lower figure than we were hoping for. Despite having low quantities of nursing care, this place surprisingly fared better in some of the quality measures we looked at. It scored well in terms of avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care. In some cases, the quality of nursing care is just as important as the quantity of hours of care provided.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Complete Care at Mercerville Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Complete Care at Mercerville , 8.94% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of patients that suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered by many experts to be a measure of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. Pressure ulcers, also known as bed sores, are often the result of patients staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Complete Care at Mercerville , 2.79% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percentage of residents who suffered from a major fall. Falls resulting in severe injuries are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be a barometer of the quality of nursing care . Falls resulting in injury are often the result of lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Complete Care at Mercerville , 1.44% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percentage of residents that have had a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are considered to be a measure of nursing care . UTI's are routinely the result of worse hygiene protocols. Nevertheless, this metric can also be misleading for some nursing homes due to different reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Complete Care at Mercerville , 10.1% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percent of residents given antipsychotic drugs. These drugs are used for treating several conditions, including Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Complete Care at Mercerville , 17.29% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percent of residents who were given antianxiety drugs. These drugs are given to patients experiencing anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Complete Care at Mercerville , 6.37% of Patients
This is the percent of residents showing depressive symptoms. High levels of depression could be a sign worse patient care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Complete Care at Mercerville , 89.73% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents that were administered the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be very dangerous for nursing home patients, making these types of vaccines critical to patient care.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Complete Care at Mercerville , 10.05% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents who needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Complete Care at Mercerville , 10.04% Percentage of Residents
This is a measure of the percent of long-term stay patients that retained mobility levels. Some would argue that mobility is important for residents' mental and physical health.
In Complete Care at Mercerville , 1.88 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This datapoint measures the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care. Avoiding the hospital is critical to preserving the physical health of patients.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Complete Care at Mercerville , 10.04 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Complete Care at Mercerville , 9.47 Percentage of Patients
Measures the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. Avoiding medical emergencies is one way to measure the well-being of patients during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Complete Care at Mercerville , 81.82% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percent of short-term residents that saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
Scores for Trenton, NJ
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Trenton, New Jersey has 3 other nursing homes
- St Francis Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.03 miles away601 Hamilton Ave Trenton New Jersey 08629Voluntary non-profit - Church(609) 599-5000
- Capital Health System-Fuld CampusAcute Care Hospitals 3.44 miles away750 Brunswick Ave Trenton New Jersey 08638Voluntary non-profit - Private(609) 394-6000
- Lower Bucks HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 12.88 miles away501 Bath Road Bristol Pennsylvania 19007Proprietary(215) 785-9200
- Virtua Willingboro HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 16.38 miles away218a Sunset Road Willingboro New Jersey 08046Voluntary non-profit - Private(609) 835-2900
- Aria HealthAcute Care Hospitals 19.14 miles away10800 Knights Road Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19114Voluntary non-profit - Private(215) 612-4129
- Centrastate Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 19.62 miles away901 West Main Street Freehold New Jersey 07728Voluntary non-profit - Private(732) 431-2000
- Fmc Hamilton Square1.12 miles awayTwo Hamilton Health Place Trenton New Jersey 08690CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (609) 689-9260
- Davita Renal Ctr Trenton2.01 miles awayC/O St. Francis Hospital 601 Hamilton Ave 1st Floor Trenton New Jersey 08629Dialysis Stations: 18 (609) 393-2388
- Fmc Hamilton Home LLC2.7 miles away3836 Quakerbridge Road Suite 208 Trenton New Jersey 08619Dialysis Stations: 4 (609) 586-5001
- Davita Renal Center Hamilton2.83 miles away1013 Whitehorse Avenue Trenton New Jersey 08610Dialysis Stations: 19 (609) 438-3002
- H. Fuld Capital Health3.05 miles awayDialysis Unit 750 Brunswick Ave Trenton New Jersey 08638CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 31 (609) 394-6000
- Physicians Dialysis Lawrenceville3.27 miles away1840 Princeton Avenue Lawrence Township New Jersey 08648CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (609) 278-0999
- Fmc Trenton3.33 miles away40 Fuld Street 1st Floor Trenton New Jersey 08638CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 28 (609) 394-5104
- Fmc Ewing5.41 miles away1962 North Olden Avenue Trenton New Jersey 08618CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (609) 671-1600