Masconomet Healthcare Center is a large facility in Topsfield, Massachusetts. We gave this facility an A overall grade, ranking it in the top 20 percent of all facilities in the nation. Based on our assessment, this nursing home is simply as good as it gets. This nursing home also received strong ratings in all of the major categories. More information about these categories can be found below.
Masconomet Healthcare Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Medication Management
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
To go along with its strong overall grade, we awarded this nursing home a grade of A for our short-term care rating. In our short-term care rating, we try to forge a valuable measure for rehabilitation services. In doing so, we analyze the nursing home's offerings of skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as occupational therapy. Fortunately, it looks like this nursing home employs registered nurses. Not every facility employs these types of nurses. However, according to the data this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. The final measure we looked at in this area is the number of patients who returned home from the facility. We found that 6.4 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home as opposed to remaining at the facility on a permanent basis.
One of the other reasons we rated this nursing home so highly is that it received a very impressive nursing rating. In that area, we awarded this nursing home an A. In computing a facility's nursing score, we assess the number of hours nurses spend with residents and the level of licensure of the nurses. This nursing home averages 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing grades. This place performed very well in the area of minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Does this page answer your questions about Masconomet Healthcare Center?
Racking up yet another strong category grade, this facility also excelled in inspections, where it earned an A-. Few facilities fared better in this area. Arguably the most critical factor we consider in computing our inspection grades is deficiencies. These deficiencies are found on a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Places with higher grades in this category most likely avoided the more severe deficiencies involving patient abuse or death. Although this facility had some deficiencies on its inspection report, none of them were major deficiencies based on CMS' deficiency scale. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
In the last category, we gave this facility a grade of A- for our long-term care grade. This rounded out a first-rate profile. Facilities that receive this kind of score in long-term care tend to provide consistent 24/7 care to make sure patients are well cared for. Once we looked at the volume of care provided by nurses and other staff, we turned to the facility's vaccination statistics. This facility vaccinated 99.317406 percent of its residents against pneumonia, which is much higher than the majority of nursing homes. Clearly, this facility is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its patients out of the hospital. It had only 0.01 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Masconomet Healthcare Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Masconomet Healthcare Center, 6.44% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of patients that suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are skin damage due to staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Masconomet Healthcare Center, 3.62% of Patients had Serious Falls
This datapoint gauges the percentage of long-term residents that sustained falls leading to serious injury. Falls can happen for a variety of reasons, but high rates of major falls may be an indicator of poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Masconomet Healthcare Center, 2.45% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percentage of patients that sustained a urinary tract infection. UTI's are considered to be an indicator of nursing care . UTI's are often the result of a nursing home with worse hygiene protocols. Nevertheless, this statistic may also be misleading for some facilities due to inconsistent reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Masconomet Healthcare Center, 18.96% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percent of patients prescribed antipsychotic drugs. Antipsychotic drugs are prescribed to patients for a variety of conditions, such as Alzheimer's or other dementias. Tragically, in limited cases, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may mean a nursing home is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Masconomet Healthcare Center, 18.8% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is a measure of the percent of long-term stay patients taking antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Masconomet Healthcare Center, 1.95% of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term stay patients who are showing signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Masconomet Healthcare Center, 91.63% of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term stay patients that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Masconomet Healthcare Center, 15.18% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents that required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of dependence on staff for assistance with activities of daily living may indicate the decline of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Masconomet Healthcare Center, 19.01% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term stay residents that were able to retain mobility.
In Masconomet Healthcare Center, 1.24 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric measures the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care. Avoiding the hospital is key to maintaining the physical health of nursing home residents.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Masconomet Healthcare Center, 19.01 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric tracks the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term care. Avoiding the hospital during rehabilitation is key to restoring the physical well-being of residents.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Masconomet Healthcare Center, 10.9 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Masconomet Healthcare Center, 71.03% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percent of short-term care patients that experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. High levels of autonomy with ADL's typically correlates with better rehabilitation services.
- Beverly Hospital CorporationAcute Care Hospitals 5.51 miles away85 Herrick Street Beverly Massachusetts 01915Voluntary non-profit - Private(978) 922-3000
- North Shore Medical Center -Acute Care Hospitals 8.59 miles away81 Highland Avenue Salem Massachusetts 01970Voluntary non-profit - Private(978) 741-1215
- Anna Jaques HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 13.04 miles away25 Highland Avenue Newburyport Massachusetts 01950Voluntary non-profit - Private(978) 463-1000
- Holy Family HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 13.13 miles away70 East Street Methuen Massachusetts 01844Proprietary(978) 687-0156
- Melrosewakefield HealthcareAcute Care Hospitals 13.63 miles away585 Lebanon Street Melrose Massachusetts 02176Voluntary non-profit - Private(781) 979-3000
- Winchester HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 14.96 miles away41 Highland Avenue Winchester Massachusetts 01890Voluntary non-profit - Private(781) 729-9000
- Lahey Hospital & Medical Center, BurlingtonAcute Care Hospitals 16.95 miles away41 & 45 Mall Road Burlington Massachusetts 01803Voluntary non-profit - Private(781) 744-5100
- North Shore Regional Dialysis Center5.13 miles away133 Brimbal Ave Unit E Beverly Massachusetts 01915CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (978) 921-2052
- Fresenius Medical Care Danvers5.21 miles away75 Newbury Street Danvers Massachusetts 01923Dialysis Stations: 13 (978) 774-0350
- Peabody Dialysis Center7.66 miles away19-a Centennial Drive Peabody Massachusetts 01960CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (978) 532-7663
- Davita Salem Northeast Dialysis8.96 miles away207 Highland Ave Suite 2 Salem Massachusetts 01970CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (978) 744-2075
- Davita North Andover Renal at Home10.88 miles away201 Sutton Street North Andover Massachusetts 01845CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (978) 975-1119
- North Suburban Dialysis Center (Bma Essex County)12.17 miles awayAugustine Plaza 124 Broadway, Route 1n Saugus Massachusetts 01906CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (781) 233-2877
- Fresenius Medical Care of Methuen12.27 miles away421 Merrimack Street Methuen Massachusetts 01844Dialysis Stations: 21 (978) 975-3117
- Fmc Services of Stoneham12.32 miles away2 Main Street Suite 100 Stoneham Massachusetts 02180CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (781) 279-2454