Located in Monroe, Louisiana, Mary Goss Nursing Home is one of seven nursing homes in this city. This facility was awarded an overall grade of B+, which is very good rating. This nursing home truly has plenty working in its favor. More information on this facility's category grades is available below. Its best category is long-term care, which is discussed in the next section.
Mary Goss Nursing Home
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
Registered Staff Hours
Long-term Care Quality
In addition to receiving a great overall grade, this nursing home received an A+ in the area of long-term care. When facilities receive this kind of grade in this category it is typically a good sign for resident care and suggests that the place is well-staffed with nurses and aids. On top of considering the amount of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we analyzed the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This facility provided the vaccine to 100 percent of its patients. Vaccines are critical to keeping residents out of the hospital. Lastly, this nursing home was able to limit hospitalizations. It had only 0.03 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
In addition, this nursing home also performed well in our inspection category, which is based on the facility's recent government inspections. We awarded it an A for that category. Inspection ratings account for a host of factors found on a facility's inspection report. One of the most important criteria we rely on is the quantity and severity of deficiencies. Facilities with higher scores in this area typically have few of these severe deficiencies. This particular nursing home had just a single deficiency on its inspection report and it was not one deemed to pose a threat to patient health or safety. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Does this page answer your questions about Mary Goss Nursing Home?
The next highest grade we gave this nursing home came in the category of nursing, where we gave it a grade of B-. This wasn't quite as good as some of its other scores, but a grade in this range is not the end of the world. Our nursing score assesses the nursing home's level of nurse staffing. We look at both the levels of training of the nurses as well as the amount of time spent with residents. This nursing home provides only 0.4 hours of nursing care per patient per day. This is a somewhat uninspiring figure which is well below the national average. Despite having low quantities of nursing care, this nursing home fared better in some of the quality measures we looked at. In fact, it performed well in the area of minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers.
Short-term Care Quality
The last area we rated is short-term care, where this nursing home received a grade of C. Although this turned out to be its worst category rating, this is still not the end of the world. Short-term care grades are generally used to grade a facility's rehabilitation services. To offer good rehabilitation services, facilities generally must have higher levels of skilled nursing services. These types of services include registered nurses, physical therapists, occupational therapists and other highly skilled individuals. Unfortunately, we weren't able to track down information about this nursing home's registered nurse or physical therapy staffing. The last metric we looked at in this category is the percentage of patients who were able to leave the facility and return to the community. We discovered that just 0 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home, which is actually below average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Mary Goss Nursing Home Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Mary Goss Nursing Home, 9.89% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percent of residents who suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are skin damage caused by staying in the same position for an excessive period of time.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Mary Goss Nursing Home, 3.47% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percent of patients that have had a fall leading to severe injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Mary Goss Nursing Home, 2.76% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percentage of patients who suffered from a urinary tract infection. UTI's are often associated with lower quality nursing care. Additional nurse staffing can limit the number likelihood of residents sustaining infections. Keep in mind that this datapoint is sometimes skewed by the fact that facilities have different reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Mary Goss Nursing Home, 15.79% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This datapoint indicates the percent of long-term care patients receiving antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs serve an important medical purpose, it is important to confirm these drugs are being used only where medically required. In some cases, increased usage of these drugs may suggest that a facility is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Mary Goss Nursing Home, 22.51% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percentage of residents who were given antianxiety medications. Antianxiety medications are given to residents suffering from depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Mary Goss Nursing Home, 1.54% of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients who are exhibiting signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Mary Goss Nursing Home, 89.03% of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients that have received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Mary Goss Nursing Home, 17.58% Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the percent of long-term patients that needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as taking medications and using the bathroom. Many in the industry argue this is a reliable measure of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Mary Goss Nursing Home, 16.37% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percent of residents that remained mobile levels over time. Optimizing mobility can be a great sign for residents' well-being.
In Mary Goss Nursing Home, 1.85 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric tracks the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Mary Goss Nursing Home, 16.37 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Scores for Monroe, LA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of D
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of F
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-plus
Looking for more options? Monroe, Louisiana has 6 other nursing homes
- St Francis Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.48 miles away309 Jackson Street Monroe Louisiana 71201Voluntary non-profit - Private(318) 966-4000
- Glenwood Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.61 miles away503 Mcmillan Road West Monroe Louisiana 71291Proprietary(318) 329-4600
- Ochsner Lsu Health MonroeAcute Care Hospitals 4.84 miles away4864 Jackson Street Monroe Louisiana 71202Proprietary(318) 330-7000
- Richardson Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 19.66 miles away254 Highway 3048 Rayville Louisiana 71269Government - Hospital District or Authority(318) 728-4181
- Fmcna - Monroe1.78 miles away1501 Southern Ave Monroe Louisiana 71202Dialysis Stations: 16 (318) 398-4181
- Fmcna - North Monroe1.91 miles away2344 Sterlington Rd Monroe Louisiana 71203CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (318) 699-0001
- Fmcna - South Monroe1.98 miles away1710 Southern Ave Monroe Louisiana 71202CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (318) 410-0619
- Fmcna - Northeast Louisiana Dialysis Ctr2.16 miles away711 Wood St Ste B Monroe Louisiana 71201Dialysis Stations: 25 (318) 322-7565
- Fmcna - West Monroe4.66 miles away401 Thomas Rd Unit C West Monroe Louisiana 71292CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (318) 387-3188
- Fmcna - Ouachita Dialysis4.68 miles away102 Thomas Rd Ste 306 West Monroe Louisiana 71291Dialysis Stations: 17 (318) 387-2747
- Fmcna - Richland Parish19.67 miles away230 Hwy 3048 Rayville Louisiana 71269Dialysis Stations: 6 (318) 728-9801
- Fmcna - Morehouse Parish Dialysis20 miles away530 Durham St Bastrop Louisiana 71220CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 23 (318) 281-3725