Marrero Healthcare Center is an average-sized nursing home located in Marrero, Louisiana. We gave it an overall grade of B-, which is a middle of the road grade. Based on all of the relevant data, there are certainly far worse places out there. The best part of this place's profile was its remarkable inspection score. Inspection reports are discussed in the next paragraph.
Marrero Healthcare Center
Updated May 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
5301 August Avenue,
Marrero LA 70072
76.76% estimated occupancy 1
Registered Staff Hours
The primary reason this turned out to be a decent nursing home is that it earned an excellent inspection grade. Its inspection grade was far superior to its overall grade. In our inspections category, we gave it an A+. Inspection grades take several factors into consideration, including deficiencies, substantiated complaints and federal fines. You can learn more about each of these items by obtaining copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. While this facility had some minor dings on its report, it had no severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are those found in categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This means that the government inspectors didn't deem any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient health or safety. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
We also want to draw your attention to the fact that this nursing home was awarded a great long-term care grade. In fact, we awarded it one of our most impressive scores in this area with a grade of A. Long-term care ratings in this range generally require both 24/7 care from nurses and aids, as well as quality routine medical care. In addition to considering the amount of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we analyzed the number of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This facility vaccinated 96.77419 percent of its residents, which is what we like to see. Pneumonia tragically can be a dangerous health condition for nursing home patients so we like it when a facility does not leave its residents vulnerable. Finally, we looked at the facility's number of hospitalizations. Here we found that this place had 2.6 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days.
Does this page answer your questions about Marrero Healthcare Center?
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home's second lowest grade is short-term care. We awarded it a F in this area. This is a well below average score in this category. With our short-term care category, we attempt to create a sound gauge for rehabilitation. In doing so, we analyze a facility's level of highly-skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as speech therapy. Unfortunately, this nursing home was below average in terms of its quantity of physical therapy and registered nurse hours provided to its residents based on the measures we assessed. Finally, we assessed the number of residents who were able to return to the community from this facility. We were surprised to find that it performed better in this area, with 55.3 percent of its patients returning home. This was just about this nursing home's sole highlight in this area.
Turning to our fourth area, this facility did not perform well. Due to a bottom of the barrel grade of F in nursing, this is its weakest area. The nursing rating features a host of subcategories. The most important variable is the number of hours nurses spent with residents. This place provided only 2.9 hours of nursing care per resident each day. This is a very low total compared to most nursing homes. Finally, we also looked at some quality-based metrics in computing our nursing ratings. This place was above average in two of the areas we considered, with solid scores for minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers. These statistics are generally good indicators of the quality of nursing care provided.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Marrero Healthcare Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Marrero Healthcare Center, 9.91% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This statistic is is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients who are suffering from pressure ulcers. Many experts believe that pressure ulcers are a great indicator of quality of care.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Marrero Healthcare Center, 3.5% of Patients had Serious Falls
This gauges the percentage of long-term stay patients that sustained a fall which resulted in major injury. Falls can happen for a variety of reasons, but excessive numbers of falls could be a sign of lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Marrero Healthcare Center, 2.75% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of residents that suffered from a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be a measure of nursing care . UTI's are often the result of poor nursing care. Nevertheless, this statistic can also be misleading for some nursing homes due to different reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Marrero Healthcare Center, 15.82% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percentage of patients given antipsychotic drugs. These drugs are used for a variety of medical conditions, such as cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Marrero Healthcare Center, 22.49% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percent of patients prescribed antianxiety medications. Antianxiety medications are prescribed to patients suffering from depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Marrero Healthcare Center, 1.57% of Patients
This is the percentage of patients who are showing symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Marrero Healthcare Center, 89.69% of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Marrero Healthcare Center, 17.57% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients who needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of needing for assistance with activities of daily living may be a sign of the erosion of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Marrero Healthcare Center, 16.33% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percentage of patients that retained mobility levels over time. Optimizing mobility can be a great sign for residents' health.
In Marrero Healthcare Center, 1.86 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is a measure of the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care. Minimizing hospitalizations is important to preserving the physical well-being of nursing home patients.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Marrero Healthcare Center, 16.33 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is a correlation between having fewer hospitalizations and a nursing homes short-term rehabilitation performance.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Marrero Healthcare Center, 12.99 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term care. There is usually a correlation between staying out of the emergency room and the quality of rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Marrero Healthcare Center, 64% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percentage of short-term patients who experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
- West Jefferson Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 0.75 miles away1101 Medical Center Blvd Marrero Louisiana 70072Voluntary non-profit - Private(504) 347-5511
- Childrens HospitalChildrens 2.64 miles away200 Henry Clay Ave New Orleans Louisiana 70118Voluntary non-profit - Private(504) 899-9511
- Touro InfirmaryAcute Care Hospitals 2.93 miles away1401 Foucher Street New Orleans Louisiana 70115Voluntary non-profit - Private(504) 897-8247
- Tulane Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.2 miles away1415 Tulane Ave New Orleans Louisiana 70112Voluntary non-profit - Private(504) 988-5263
- University Medical Center New OrleansAcute Care Hospitals 5.5 miles away2000 Canal Street New Orleans Louisiana 70112Voluntary non-profit - Private(504) 903-3000
- Ochsner Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.89 miles away1516 Jefferson Hwy New Orleans Louisiana 70121Voluntary non-profit - Private(504) 842-3000
- St Bernard Parish HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.68 miles away8000 West Judge Perez Drive Chalmette Louisiana 70043Government - Hospital District or Authority(504) 826-9500
- East Jefferson General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.98 miles away4200 Houma Blvd Metairie Louisiana 70006Government - Hospital District or Authority(504) 454-4000
- Fmcna - Westbank0.67 miles away5301 Westbank Expwy Marrero Louisiana 70072Dialysis Stations: 12 (504) 340-8577
- Fmcna - Barataria0.69 miles away1849 Barataria Blvd Ste A Marrero Louisiana 70072Dialysis Stations: 23 (504) 347-4228
- Fmcna - Marrero0.94 miles away7325 Westbank Expressway Marrero Louisiana 70072Dialysis Stations: 23 (504) 348-1845
- Davita - Marrero Dialysis Center1.16 miles away1908 Jutland Dr Harvey Louisiana 70058CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (504) 347-6224
- Davita - New Orleans Uptown Dialysis2.6 miles away1401 Foucher St 4th Fl-Dialysis Unit New Orleans Louisiana 70115CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (504) 897-8530
- Childrens Hospital-Dialysis2.64 miles away200 Henry Clay Ave New Orleans Louisiana 70118Dialysis Stations: 8 (504) 896-2061
- New Orleans Kidney Ctr3 miles away3434 Prytania Ste 200 New Orleans Louisiana 70115CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (504) 899-8414
- Davita - Westwego Dialysis3.46 miles away#1 Westbank Expressway Westwego Louisiana 70094Dialysis Stations: 13 (504) 347-6942