ProMedica Skilled Nursing And Rehabilitation (Towson) is a large non-profit nursing home located in Towson, Maryland. This is a fine nursing home. We awarded it an overall grade of B, which is a respectable score. This grade is right in line with the city grade in Towson. One of the better aspects of this facility's profile is its strong short-term care score, which you can find in the next paragraph.
ProMedica Skilled Nursing And Rehabilitation (Towson)
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Other
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
On top of earning a strong overall score, this nursing home fared well in our short-term care category. In fact, we awarded it a grade of A- for that category, which is one of our best scores. Our short-term care scores are likely most meaningful for people needing rehabilitation services. Rehabilitation generally utilizes additional skilled nursing services. This means not just nursing services, but also physical and respiratory therapy, as well as other types of therapy. Fortunately, it appear that this facility has registered nurses on staff. Not all facilities employs these types of nurses. However, based on the data this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. The final metric we assessed in this category is the number of patients who ultimately returned home from the nursing home. We found that 6 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home as opposed to remaining at the nursing home on a permanent basis.
In addition, this nursing home also performed well in our inspection category, which is based on its recent government inspections. In fact, we gave it an A- for that area, which is one of our highest grades. Inspection scores account for several factors included in a nursing home's inspection reports. One key criteria we look at is the number and severity of deficiencies. Facilities with higher scores in this category generally have very few of these severe deficiencies. Although this place had some deficiencies on its government inspection report, none were serious based on CMS' scale. A couple minor deficiencies aren't necessarily something to panic about.
Does this page answer your questions about ProMedica Skilled Nursing And Rehabilitation (Towson)?
This facility is also strong in the area of nursing, where it received a grade of B. It outperformed most nursing homes in this category. The nursing category is based on many subcategories, many of which are associated with levels of nurse staffing. This facility provided 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at several nursing quality measures and this nursing home excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any place the nation in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can often be avoided by providing better nursing care, such as by having a policy of turning a patient at least once a day.
Long-term Care Quality
Our final category is long-term care, where we awarded this nursing home a C in this area. Long-term care grades are based in part on the facility's volume of nursing care. This includes a vast scope of personal care services, ranging from assistance with activities of daily living to routine medical services. In addition to assessing the quantity of care provided by nurses and other staff, we looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This nursing home vaccinated 99.66102 percent of its residents. This facility was able to keep its patients out of the hospital. Indeed, it had only 0.01 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
ProMedica Skilled Nursing And Rehabilitation (Towson) Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In ProMedica Skilled Nursing And Rehabilitation (Towson), 10.35% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This metric gauges the percent of long-term stay patients who have pressure ulcers. Many experts believe that pressure ulcers are a reliable measure of nursing care quality.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In ProMedica Skilled Nursing And Rehabilitation (Towson), 2.83% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of residents that sustained a fall which resulted in severe injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In ProMedica Skilled Nursing And Rehabilitation (Towson), 2.06% of Patients had UTIs
This metric gauges the percent of long-term care residents who sustained UTI's. UTI's may be a sign of a facility with worst hygiene practices. However, this metric may be misleading for some nursing homes due to inconsistent reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In ProMedica Skilled Nursing And Rehabilitation (Towson), 13.12% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percentage of residents who were given antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic medications may be helpful for many residents, it is important to ensure these medications are being used appropriately. In limited cases, excessive reliance on these medications may suggest a nursing home is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In ProMedica Skilled Nursing And Rehabilitation (Towson), 14.71% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This statistic is an indication of the percent of long-term stay patients which are given antianxiety medication. These drugs are commonly used to treat residents suffering from depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In ProMedica Skilled Nursing And Rehabilitation (Towson), 10.05% of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients who are demonstrating symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In ProMedica Skilled Nursing And Rehabilitation (Towson), 92.62% of Patients
Measures the percent of long-term patients that were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In ProMedica Skilled Nursing And Rehabilitation (Towson), 19.85% Percentage of Patients
This is the percentage of patients that needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In ProMedica Skilled Nursing And Rehabilitation (Towson), 30.15% Percentage of Residents
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term residents who maintained mobility.
In ProMedica Skilled Nursing And Rehabilitation (Towson), 0.99 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
Measures the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care. Avoiding hospitalizations is critical to maintaining the physical well-being of patients.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In ProMedica Skilled Nursing And Rehabilitation (Towson), 30.15 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is typically a correlation between keeping patients out of the hospital and the quality of rehabilitation services.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In ProMedica Skilled Nursing And Rehabilitation (Towson), 8.9 Percentage of Patients
Measures the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In ProMedica Skilled Nursing And Rehabilitation (Towson), 73.77% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint measures the percent of short-term stay residents who experienced functional improvements.
Scores for Towson, MD
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Towson, Maryland has 7 other nursing homes
- University of Md St Joseph Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.4 miles away7601 Osler Drive Towson Maryland 21204Voluntary non-profit - Private(410) 337-1000
- Greater Baltimore Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.92 miles away6701 North Charles Street Towson Maryland 21204Voluntary non-profit - Private(443) 849-2000
- Medstar Good Samaritan HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.93 miles away5601 Loch Raven Boulevard Baltimore Maryland 21239Voluntary non-profit - Other(443) 444-3902
- Sinai Hospital of BaltimoreAcute Care Hospitals 4.93 miles away2401 West Belvedere Avenue Baltimore Maryland 21215Voluntary non-profit - Private(410) 601-5131
- Medstar Union Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.08 miles away201 East University Parkway Baltimore Maryland 21218Voluntary non-profit - Other(410) 554-2227
- Medstar Franklin Square Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.88 miles away9000 Franklin Square Drive Rosedale Maryland 21237Voluntary non-profit - Private(443) 777-7850
- Kennedy Krieger InstituteChildrens 7.14 miles away707 North Broadway Baltimore Maryland 21205Voluntary non-profit - Private(443) 923-9301
- University of Md Medical Center Midtown CampusAcute Care Hospitals 7.2 miles away827 Linden Avenue Baltimore Maryland 21201Voluntary non-profit - Other(410) 225-8996
- Fresenius Medical Care Towson0.94 miles away7801 York Road, Ste. 150 Towson Maryland 21204Dialysis Stations: 16 (410) 321-0853
- Davita Dulaney Towson Dialysis Center1.28 miles away113 West Road Towson Maryland 21204CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 14 (410) 825-3690
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Cromwell1.81 miles away8710 Emge Rd Parkville Maryland 21234Dialysis Stations: 6 (410) 661-0801
- Fmc - Greater Baltimore2.93 miles away1104 Walters Avenue Baltimore Maryland 21239Dialysis Stations: 21 (410) 532-0389
- Bertha Sirk Dialysis Center2.94 miles away5820 York Rd Ste 10 Baltimore Maryland 21212Dialysis Stations: 16 (410) 532-9311
- Davita Good Samaritan Dialysis3.01 miles away5601 Loch Raven Boulevard Baltimore Maryland 21239Dialysis Stations: 53 (443) 444-4099
- Davita Loch Raven Dialysis3.33 miles away5315 York Rd Baltimore Maryland 21212Dialysis Stations: 16 (410) 323-8790
- Coldsprings Dialysis, LLC3.62 miles away4700 Hartford Road Baltimore Maryland 21214Dialysis Stations: 6 (443) 444-4907