Manor Care Health Services - Wheaton is a facility in Silver Spring, Maryland which has a population of 282,095 people. This facility received a very respectable overall grade of B+, causing us to rank it as one of the better selections in Silver Spring. This truly is impressive since the city offers some good nursing homes. Based on our ratings, you could do much worse than this facility. As you will find below, this place also performed just fine in our category ratings. It's hard to poke holes in this place's profile.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Manor Care Health Services - Wheaton
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Silver Spring senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Home Making
- Stroke Recovery
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Oncology Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to receiving a great overall rating, this facility performed even better in the area of inspections which is based on the facility's recent government inspection reports. We awarded it an A for this category, which is one of our highest scores. We take several aspects of a facility's inspection report into consideration in computing these inspection ratings. One critical factor is health deficiencies. You should keep in mind that the severity of deficiencies is usually more meaningful than the quantity of deficiencies, as some of these are quite minor. This facility was hit with 9 deficiencies on its inspection report, but fortunately none of the deficiencies were considered to be severe deficiencies. This means that CMS did not deem any of the deficiencies to create an imminent threat to patient health or safety. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
Another strong feature for this nursing home is that it was given a favorable long-term care grade. In fact, this proved to be its second best category score. In that category, we awarded this facility a B+. In a long-term care setting, the primary objective is to keep patients healthy and safe. This is different than skilled nursing or short-term care where the goal is to rehabilitate residents. One of the factors we considered on top of nurse's aid hours was vaccinations. This facility administered the pneumonia vaccine to 80.26315 percent of its patients. While its vaccination rate was a bit lower than we hoped for, we were pleased to find place was able to limit hospitalizations. It had only 0 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Manor Care Health Services - Wheaton?
In addition, this facility also received favorable nursing grades this year. In fact, we awarded them one of our better scores in that area, with a grade of B+. Nursing grades are largely based on the facility's level of nurse staffing. This particular nursing home provided 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed several nursing quality-based metrics and this place excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any facility the state in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can often be avoided by offering better nursing care, such as employing a system of turning a patient at least once a day.
Short-term Care Quality
In the final area, this facility also was awarded a first-rate short-term care grade, with a grade of B+. This completed a very strong profile. Short-term care scores are critical for patients looking for rehabilitation. Rehabilitation generally mandates more skilled nursing. This means a broad scope of services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and respiratory therapists, as well as other forms of therapy. Fortunately, it appear that this facility has registered nurses on staff. Not every nursing home employs these types of nurses. However, according to the data this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. Finally, we assessed the number of residents who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. We found that 4.7 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Manor Care Health Services - Wheaton Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Manor Care Health Services - Wheaton, 10.28% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of residents who sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are skin damage due to staying in the same position for an excessive period of time.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Manor Care Health Services - Wheaton, 2.53% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percentage of patients that have had a major fall. Falls resulting in serious injury are considered by many experts to be an indicator of nursing care . Major falls which result in injury are routinely the result of lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Manor Care Health Services - Wheaton, 2.06% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percentage of patients who suffered from a urinary tract infection. These infections may be associated with poorer hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Manor Care Health Services - Wheaton, 12.87% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percentage of patients given antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs may be vital to many residents, it is important to make sure these drugs are being used appropriately. In limited situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may indicate that a facility is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Manor Care Health Services - Wheaton, 13.59% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percent of patients prescribed antianxiety medications. These drugs are generally used to treat patients experiencing anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Manor Care Health Services - Wheaton, 11.04% of Patients
This is the percentage of patients who are showing depressive symptoms. High levels of depression may be an indicator a lower level of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Manor Care Health Services - Wheaton, 90.84% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients who were given the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Manor Care Health Services - Wheaton, 20.64% Percentage of Patients
This is the percentage of patients that needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Manor Care Health Services - Wheaton, 24.5% Percentage of Residents
Measures the percent of long-term care residents who maintained mobility. Some experts believe that mobility is critical to patients health.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Manor Care Health Services - Wheaton, 24.5 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric tracks the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Manor Care Health Services - Wheaton, 9.63 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Manor Care Health Services - Wheaton, 73.32% Percentage of Resident
This metric is a measure of the percentage of short-term stay residents who experienced functional improvements.
Scores for Silver Spring, MD
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Silver Spring, Maryland has 4 other nursing homes
- Holy Cross HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.6 miles away1500 Forest Glen Road Silver Spring Maryland 20910Voluntary non-profit - Church(301) 754-7000
- Walter Reed National Military Med CenAcute Care - Department of Defense 4.38 miles away8901 Rockville Pike Bethesda Maryland 20889Department of Defense(301) 295-4000
- Suburban HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.91 miles away8600 Old Georgetown Road Bethesda Maryland 20814Voluntary non-profit - Private(301) 896-2576
- Adventist Healthcare White Oak Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.96 miles away12100 Plum Orchard Drive Silver Spring Maryland 20904Voluntary non-profit - Private(301) 891-5651
- Medstar Montgomery Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.14 miles away18101 Prince Philip Drive Olney Maryland 20832Voluntary non-profit - Private(301) 774-8882
- Adventist Healthcare Shady Grove Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.55 miles away9901 Medical Center Drive Rockville Maryland 20850Voluntary non-profit - Private(240) 826-6527
- Sibley Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.68 miles away5255 Loughboro Rd Nw Washington District of Columbia 20016Voluntary non-profit - Other(202) 537-4680
- Medstar Washington Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.71 miles away110 Irving St Nw Washington District of Columbia 20010Voluntary non-profit - Other(202) 877-7000
- Renal Treatment Center - Wheaton0.77 miles awayWheaton Park Shopping Ctr 11941 Georgia Ave Silver Spring Maryland 20902CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (301) 949-9620
- Bma - Wheaton1.12 miles away10901b Georgia Avenue Silver Spring Maryland 20902Dialysis Stations: 14 (301) 933-1307
- Holy Cross Hospital3.33 miles awayRenal Dialysis Unit 1500 Forest Glen Rd Silver Spring Maryland 20910Dialysis Stations: 14 (301) 754-7560
- Cadia Dialysis Springbrook3.38 miles away12325 New Hampshire Avenue Silver Spring Maryland 20904Dialysis Stations: 11 (301) 244-3028
- Us Renal Care - Rockville3.65 miles away11800 a Nebel St Rockville Maryland 20852Dialysis Stations: 12 (301) 468-3221
- Fmc - Silver Spring4.03 miles away12120 Plum Orchard Rd Ste 140 Silver Spring Maryland 20904Dialysis Stations: 12 (301) 572-2484
- Bedell Dialysis, LLC4.03 miles away13875 Outlet Drive Silver Spring Maryland 20904Dialysis Stations: 18 (301) 890-1504
- Brownwood Dialysis LLC4.43 miles away5544 Norbeck Rd Rockville Maryland 20853CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (301) 460-2090