Lutheran Life Villages is located in Fort Wayne, Indiana, which is one of the largest cities in the nation. We awarded this nursing home an overall grade of B+, which is a very respectable grade. In fact, this is ranked among the ten best nursing homes in Fort Wayne. Even with Fort Wayne offering 26 other nursing homes to choose from, this nursing home jumped off the page as a quality selection. Fortunately, this facility did not have any poor grades in any of the major categories discussed below. More information about these categories can be found below.
Lutheran Life Villages
- Nursing Home
- Assisted Living
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
9802 Coldwater Road,
Fort Wayne IN 46825
96.54% estimated occupancy 1
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Home Making
- Dialysis Transportation
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Pain Management
Registered Staff Hours
On top of being a strong facility overall, this facility also excelled in the area of inspections, where it received an A. Not many facilities fared better in that category. Inspection grades account for a host of factors included in a facility's inspection reports. One key criteria we rely on is the number and severity of deficiencies. Facilities with higher grades in this category generally have few severe deficiencies. Fortunately, although this place had a few minor dings on its report, it had zero severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are ones found in categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This means that the government inspectors did not deem any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient health or safety. The fact that none of the deficiencies were severe leaves us less concerned with this inspection report.
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home was awarded a strong short-term care score as well. We awarded it one of our higher scores in that area with a grade of B+. In our short-term care assessment, we try to forge a fair barometer for rehabilitation. In this process, we assess the facility's scope of skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as respiratory therapy. It does not look like this nursing home submitted information on registered nurse or physical therapist staffing. The final statistic we assessed in this category is the number of residents who were able to leave the nursing home and return home. We discovered that 5.7 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about Lutheran Life Villages?
This nursing home also received a strong nursing score. In fact, we awarded it an above average grade of B in this area. There are many criteria included in this grade. Most of these subcategories relate to staffing levels. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Lastly, we also assessed some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing grades. This place performed very well in terms of minimizing its residents' pressure ulcers and major falls. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Long-term Care Quality
Turning to the final area, this facility received an acceptable long-term care rating. Even though this isn't as dominant as some of its other scores, this is still not a major area of concern. In calculating our long-term care grades, we look at the personal care received by a nursing home's residents. In addition to assessing the volume of care provided by aids and other staff, we also looked at the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This nursing home administered the vaccine to 100 percent of its patients, which is higher than the average nursing home. Lastly, this place was also able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Lutheran Life Villages Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Lutheran Life Villages, 7.44% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of patients that suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin caused by remaining in one position for an excessive period of time.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Lutheran Life Villages, 3.93% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of residents that have had a major fall. Falls resulting in major injuries are often associated with lower quality nursing care. Better nursing protocols reduces the number of major falls sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Lutheran Life Villages, 1.87% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percent of residents that sustained a urinary tract infection. These infections are sometimes linked to inadequate hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Lutheran Life Villages, 13.18% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This metric indicates the percentage of long-term care patients which are prescribed antipsychotic medication. Excessive reliance on these medications may suggest a nursing home is using these medications to subdue residents in scenarios where such medications aren't medically required. Nevertheless, some facilities may need to rely more on these medications due to an increased number of patients suffering from dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Lutheran Life Villages, 21.77% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This datapoint indicates the percentage of long-term stay residents who were prescribed antianxiety drugs. These medications are commonly used to treat residents suffering from depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Lutheran Life Villages, 12.89% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term care patients showing signs of depression. Many believe this is a reliable measure of quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Lutheran Life Villages, 91.48% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents who have received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be deadly for seniors, making these vaccines vital to patient safety.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Lutheran Life Villages, 15.74% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients that needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of dependence on staff for assistance with ADL's could be a sign of decline of a patient's health.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Lutheran Life Villages, 15.7% Percentage of Residents
This metric measures the percent of long-term care residents that were able to retain mobility.
In Lutheran Life Villages, 1.46 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Lutheran Life Villages, 15.7 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is generally a correlation between staying out of the hospital and a nursing home's quality of short-term rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Lutheran Life Villages, 11.29 Percentage of Patients
This metric tracks the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term care. Avoiding emergency medical situations is one way to measure short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Lutheran Life Villages, 73.78% Percentage of Resident
Measures the percent of short-term patients that saw functional improvements.
Scores for Fort Wayne, IN
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Fort Wayne, Indiana has 25 other nursing homes
- Dupont Hospital LLCAcute Care Hospitals 1.21 miles away2520 E Dupont Rd Fort Wayne Indiana 46825Proprietary(260) 416-3000
- Orthopaedic Hospital at Parkview North LLCAcute Care Hospitals 1.93 miles away11130 Parkview Circle Dr Fort Wayne Indiana 46845Voluntary non-profit - Private(260) 672-4050
- Parkview Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.01 miles away11109 Parkview Plaza Drive Fort Wayne Indiana 46845Voluntary non-profit - Private(260) 266-1000
- St Joseph HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.4 miles away700 Broadway Fort Wayne Indiana 46802Proprietary(260) 425-3000
- Lutheran Hospital of IndianaAcute Care Hospitals 11.01 miles away7950 W Jefferson Blvd Fort Wayne Indiana 46804Proprietary(260) 435-7001
- Dekalb HealthAcute Care Hospitals 14.59 miles away1316 E Seventh St Auburn Indiana 46706Voluntary non-profit - Private(260) 925-4600
- Parkview Whitley HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 17.42 miles away1260 E Sr 205 Columbia City Indiana 46725Voluntary non-profit - Private(260) 248-9301
- Davita-Fort Wayne North Dialysis0.73 miles away415 E Dupont Road Fort Wayne Indiana 46825Dialysis Stations: 13 (260) 637-0431
- Fmc - Dupont Dialysis1.32 miles away10204 East Dupont Circle Drive Fort Wayne Indiana 46825CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (260) 489-9255
- Davita - Summit City Dialysis4.55 miles away3233 East Coliseum Blvd. Fort Wayne Indiana 46805CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (260) 373-1599
- Davita - Fort Wayne West7.67 miles away4916 Illinois Road, Suite 118 Fort Wayne Indiana 46804Dialysis Stations: 14 (260) 434-0483
- Davita - Appleseed8.52 miles away1833 Magnavox Way Fort Wayne Indiana 46804Dialysis Stations: 4 (260) 432-1036
- Davita - Fort Wayne South9.1 miles away302 E. Pettit Ave. Fort Wayne Indiana 46806CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (260) 456-0451
- Fmc - Canal Dialysis9.92 miles away1308 Minnich Road New Haven Indiana 46774Dialysis Stations: 12 (260) 749-1004
- Fmc - Northeast Indiana Kidney Ctr - Fort Wayne10.02 miles away7836 W. Jefferson Blvd., Suite ll10 Fort Wayne Indiana 46804CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (260) 432-4225