Lorien Nursing & Rehab Center - Elkridge is a facility located in Elkridge, Maryland. This city has a total of 26,344 people. This nursing home received an A- overall, which is one of the top scores that we offer. A grade in this range requires excellent marks across the board. In fact, we ranked this facility in the top quarter of all nursing homes in the nation. The best aspect of this facility's impressive profile was its inspection score. We discuss inspections in the next section
Lorien Nursing & Rehab Center - Elkridge
- Nursing Home
- Home Health Agency
- Assisted Living
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Lymphedema Care
Top Nursing Home in Maryland Awards 2019
Top Nursing Home in Maryland Awards 2020
Top Nursing Home in Maryland Awards 2021
Registered Staff Hours
One of the many reasons this turned out to be a quality nursing home is that it received an A+ inspection grade. This is simply as good as it gets in this critical category. These inspection ratings take several factors into consideration, including deficiencies and federal fines. You can learn more about each of these items by reviewing copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. Fortunately, although this place had some minor dings on its government inspection report, it had zero severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are ones labeled as categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This tells you CMS didn't consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
Adding to its first-rate profile, this nursing home also performed well in our long-term care area. In fact, it received a score of A in that category. Long-term care grades in this range generally require both 24/7 care from nurses and aids, as well as quality routine medical care. In addition to looking at the amount of care provided by aids and other staff, we analyzed the percentage of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This facility provided the vaccine to 100 percent of its residents, which is much higher than most nursing homes. Finally, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had only 0.02 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about Lorien Nursing & Rehab Center - Elkridge?
Short-term Care Quality
Adding to its fine assessment, this facility also received a strong short-term care score, with a score of A. In calculating our short-term care grades, we look at the facility's levels of highly skilled nursing, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists speech therapists and other licensed professionals. This grade is frequently a fair measure of a nursing home's rehabilitation. Fortunately, it looks like this nursing home employs registered nurses. Not all nursing homes employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, based on the information they provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. The last metric we looked at in this area is the number of patients that ultimately returned home from the nursing home. We found that 6.3 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home as opposed to remaining at the nursing home on a permanent basis.
The next area we graded is nursing, where this facility was given a C. This is this nursing home's weakest category. This is nevertheless not a terrible score. Nursing scores are mostly associated with a nursing home's level of nurse staffing. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a much lower figure than we are used to seeing. Despite having low quantities of nursing care, this facility surprisingly fared better in some of the quality measures we looked at. In fact, it scored well when it comes to avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Lorien Nursing & Rehab Center - Elkridge Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Lorien Nursing & Rehab Center - Elkridge, 10.24% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percent of residents that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also known as bed sores, are routinely caused by patients staying in one position for too long. Better nursing care reduces the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain pressure ulcers.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Lorien Nursing & Rehab Center - Elkridge, 2.73% of Patients had Serious Falls
This metric is an indication of the percent of long-term stay patients that had a fall leading to serious injury. This is one of the statistics we use in computing our nursing grades.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Lorien Nursing & Rehab Center - Elkridge, 2.07% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of residents who have had a urinary tract infection. These infections are sometimes linked to poorer hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Lorien Nursing & Rehab Center - Elkridge, 13.1% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of patients who were given antipsychotic medications. Antipsychotic drugs are prescribed to residents for a variety of conditions, such as Alzheimer's or other dementias. Sadly, in some cases, excessive reliance on these medications may mean that a nursing home is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Lorien Nursing & Rehab Center - Elkridge, 14.46% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percent of residents who were given antianxiety medications. These drugs are used to treat patients experiencing anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Lorien Nursing & Rehab Center - Elkridge, 10.18% of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term stay residents who are demonstrating symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Lorien Nursing & Rehab Center - Elkridge, 92.14% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents that were administered the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Lorien Nursing & Rehab Center - Elkridge, 19.83% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term care residents that required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as getting dressed and continence.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Lorien Nursing & Rehab Center - Elkridge, 28.37% Percentage of Residents
This metric tracks the percentage of long-term care residents that were able to retain mobility. Some would argue that mobility is important for patients mental and physical health.
In Lorien Nursing & Rehab Center - Elkridge, 1.1 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric tracks the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care. Minimizing hospitalizations is critical to the physical health of residents.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Lorien Nursing & Rehab Center - Elkridge, 28.37 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is generally a correlation between staying out of the hospital and a nursing home's quality of short-term rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Lorien Nursing & Rehab Center - Elkridge, 8.93 Percentage of Patients
Measures the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care. Avoiding medical emergencies is one way to assess patient well-being during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Lorien Nursing & Rehab Center - Elkridge, 74.3% Percentage of Resident
This is the percentage of short-term residents that experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
- Howard County General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.46 miles away5755 Cedar Lane Columbia Maryland 21044Voluntary non-profit - Private(410) 740-7890
- Umd Baltimore Washington Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.5 miles away301 Hospital Drive Glen Burnie Maryland 21061Voluntary non-profit - Other(410) 595-1967
- University of Md Laurel Regional HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.6 miles away7300 Van Dusen Road Laurel Maryland 20707Voluntary non-profit - Private(301) 725-4300
- Saint Agnes HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.8 miles away900 Caton Avenue Baltimore Maryland 21229Voluntary non-profit - Church(410) 368-2101
- Bon Secours HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.39 miles away2000 W Baltimore Street Baltimore Maryland 21223Voluntary non-profit - Private(410) 362-3000
- University of Maryland Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 11.29 miles away22 South Greene Street Baltimore Maryland 21201Voluntary non-profit - Private(410) 328-8667
- Mercy Medical Center IncAcute Care Hospitals 11.93 miles away301 Saint Paul Place Baltimore Maryland 21202Voluntary non-profit - Church(410) 332-9237
- University of Md Medical Center Midtown CampusAcute Care Hospitals 12.04 miles away827 Linden Avenue Baltimore Maryland 21201Voluntary non-profit - Other(410) 225-8996
- Davita - Cedar Lane5.95 miles away6334 Cedar Lane Columbia Maryland 21044Dialysis Stations: 13 (410) 531-5390
- Davita - Howard County6.21 miles away5999 Harpers Farm Rd Ste E-110 Columbia Maryland 21044CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (410) 997-4244
- Glen Burnie Home Training6.69 miles away6934 Aviation Blvd Suite H Glen Burnie Maryland 21061Dialysis Stations: 6 (410) 760-4976
- Glen Burnie Dialysis6.69 miles away6934 Aviation Blvd Ste K Glen Burnie Maryland 21061CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (410) 553-6951
- Kidney Care of Laurel6.87 miles away14631 Laurel Bowie Rd Ste 100 Laurel Maryland 20707CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (301) 725-3559
- Davita - Catonsville6.9 miles away1581 Sulphur Spring Rd Ste 112 Halethorpe Maryland 21227CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (410) 242-7766
- Fresenius Anne Arundel Outpatient Dialysis Services, LLC7.31 miles away1105 Annapolis Rd Odenton Maryland 21113Dialysis Stations: 19 (410) 672-8024
- Idf - Arundel Center7.34 miles away804 Landmark Drive Ste 112 Glen Burnie Maryland 21061CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (410) 768-5722