Lorien Nursing & Rehab Center - Elkridge is a facility located in Elkridge, Maryland. This city has a total of 26,344 people. This nursing home received an A- overall, which is one of the top scores that we offer. A grade in this range requires excellent marks across the board. In fact, we ranked this facility in the top quarter of all nursing homes in the nation. The best aspect of this facility's impressive profile was its inspection score. We discuss inspections in the next section
Lorien Nursing & Rehab Center - Elkridge
- Nursing Home
- Home Health Agency
- Assisted Living
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Lymphedema Care
Registered Staff Hours
One of the many reasons this turned out to be a quality nursing home is that it received an A+ inspection grade. This is simply as good as it gets in this critical category. These inspection ratings take several factors into consideration, including deficiencies and federal fines. You can learn more about each of these items by reviewing copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. Fortunately, although this place had some minor dings on its government inspection report, it had zero severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are ones labeled as categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This tells you CMS didn't consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Short-term Care Quality
Adding to its first-rate profile, this nursing home also performed well in our short-term care area. In fact, it received a score of A in that category. Our short-term care ratings are vital for residents requiring rehabilitation. Rehabilitation generally requires additional highly-skilled nursing services. Skilled nursing means a vast range of services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and occupational therapists, as well as other variations of therapy. Fortunately, it looks like this nursing home employs registered nurses. Not all facilities employs these types of nurses. However, according to the information this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. The last statistic we looked at in this category is the number of patients who were able to leave the facility and return home. We found that 6.7 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about Lorien Nursing & Rehab Center - Elkridge?
Long-term Care Quality
Building on its fine assessment, this nursing home also was awarded a strong long-term care score, with a grade of A-. Nursing homes that receive this type of score in long-term care typically provide consistent around the clock care to ensure residents are well cared for. In addition to considering the quantity of care provided by aids and other staff, we looked at the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This facility administered the vaccine to 100 percent of its patients. Vaccines are critical to keeping patients healthy. Clearly, this place is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its patients out of the hospital. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
The final category we assessed was nursing, in which this facility was given a grade of C. This actually proved to be this nursing home's worst area. This is nevertheless nothing to be ashamed of. When determining our nursing scores, we analyze both nursing hours and the levels of licensure of the nurses. This nursing home provided just 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident daily. This figure is far below average. Lastly, our nursing ratings also consider quality-based measures, such as avoiding major falls. Despite not having the most impressive total nursing hours per resident, this place actually performed admirably in the area of preventing major falls. This is typically a reliable indicator that a facility has sufficient quality controls in place. Many falls can be avoided if a nursing home provides enough nurses aids to assist its patients.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Lorien Nursing & Rehab Center - Elkridge Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Lorien Nursing & Rehab Center - Elkridge, 10.35% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percentage of patients that sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are skin damage caused by staying in the same position for an excessive period of time.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Lorien Nursing & Rehab Center - Elkridge, 2.83% of Patients had Serious Falls
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients which sustained a fall resulting in severe injury. Falls can arise for a variety of reasons, but high rates of major falls could be an indication of poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Lorien Nursing & Rehab Center - Elkridge, 2.06% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percent of residents who sustained a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are considered to be a measure of nursing care at a nursing home. UTI's are often associated with a facility with worst hygiene practices. However, this metric may be misleading for certain nursing homes due to different reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Lorien Nursing & Rehab Center - Elkridge, 13.12% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percentage of patients given antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs may be vital to many patients, it is important to confirm these drugs are being used only where medically required. In some cases, excessive reliance on these medications may suggest that a facility is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Lorien Nursing & Rehab Center - Elkridge, 14.71% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This figure gauges the percent of long-term patients who were administered antianxiety medication. These medications are generally used to treat residents experiencing depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Lorien Nursing & Rehab Center - Elkridge, 10.05% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term residents showing symptoms of depression. Many argue that this is a measure of patient quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Lorien Nursing & Rehab Center - Elkridge, 92.62% of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term stay patients who were given the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be deadly for nursing home residents, making these types of vaccines vital to patient care.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Lorien Nursing & Rehab Center - Elkridge, 19.85% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents who needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of needing for assistance with activities of daily living could indicate the decline of a resident's medical condition.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Lorien Nursing & Rehab Center - Elkridge, 30.15% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percent of residents who remained mobile levels over time. Retaining mobility is often a good sign for residents' health.
In Lorien Nursing & Rehab Center - Elkridge, 0.99 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is a measure of the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Lorien Nursing & Rehab Center - Elkridge, 30.15 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Lorien Nursing & Rehab Center - Elkridge, 8.9 Percentage of Patients
This metric tracks the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Lorien Nursing & Rehab Center - Elkridge, 73.77% Percentage of Resident
This is the percentage of short-term residents that experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. High levels of autonomy with activities of daily living typically correlates with superior rehabilitation services.
- Howard County General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.46 miles away5755 Cedar Lane Columbia Maryland 21044Voluntary non-profit - Private(410) 740-7890
- Umd Baltimore Washington Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.5 miles away301 Hospital Drive Glen Burnie Maryland 21061Voluntary non-profit - Other(410) 595-1967
- University of Md Laurel Regional HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.6 miles away7300 Van Dusen Road Laurel Maryland 20707Voluntary non-profit - Private(301) 725-4300
- Saint Agnes HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.8 miles away900 Caton Avenue Baltimore Maryland 21229Voluntary non-profit - Church(410) 368-2101
- Bon Secours HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.39 miles away2000 W Baltimore Street Baltimore Maryland 21223Voluntary non-profit - Private(410) 362-3000
- University of Maryland Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 11.29 miles away22 South Greene Street Baltimore Maryland 21201Voluntary non-profit - Private(410) 328-8667
- Mercy Medical Center IncAcute Care Hospitals 11.93 miles away301 Saint Paul Place Baltimore Maryland 21202Voluntary non-profit - Church(410) 332-9237
- University of Md Medical Center Midtown CampusAcute Care Hospitals 12.04 miles away827 Linden Avenue Baltimore Maryland 21201Voluntary non-profit - Other(410) 225-8996
- Davita - Cedar Lane5.95 miles away6334 Cedar Lane Columbia Maryland 21044Dialysis Stations: 13 (410) 531-5390
- Davita - Howard County6.21 miles away5999 Harpers Farm Rd Ste E-110 Columbia Maryland 21044CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (410) 997-4244
- Glen Burnie Home Training6.69 miles away6934 Aviation Blvd Suite H Glen Burnie Maryland 21061Dialysis Stations: 6 (410) 760-4976
- Glen Burnie Dialysis6.69 miles away6934 Aviation Blvd Ste K Glen Burnie Maryland 21061CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (410) 553-6951
- Kidney Care of Laurel6.87 miles away14631 Laurel Bowie Rd Ste 100 Laurel Maryland 20707CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (301) 725-3559
- Davita - Catonsville6.9 miles away1581 Sulphur Spring Rd Ste 112 Halethorpe Maryland 21227CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (410) 242-7766
- Fresenius Anne Arundel Outpatient Dialysis Services, LLC7.31 miles away1105 Annapolis Rd Odenton Maryland 21113Dialysis Stations: 19 (410) 672-8024
- Idf - Arundel Center7.34 miles away804 Landmark Drive Ste 112 Glen Burnie Maryland 21061CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (410) 768-5722