Lorien Nsg & Rehab Center Belair is the sole option located in Bel Air, Maryland. After receiving an A overall grade, this facility has the distinction of being one of the 50 best facilities in Maryland. This is really as good of a facility as you'll find. As you can see below, this nursing home also performed just fine in our category grades. It would be hard to poke holes in this place's profile.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Lorien Nsg & Rehab Center Belair
- Nursing Home
- Assisted Living
- Adult Day Care
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
1909 Emorton Road,
Bel Air MD 21015
135.5% estimated occupancy 1
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Lymphedema Care
Top Nursing Home in Maryland Awards 2019
Best Nursing Home in Bel Air, Maryland Awards 2019
Top Nursing Home in Maryland Awards 2020
Best Nursing Home in Bel Air, Maryland Awards 2020
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
We also found that this facility excelled in our short-term care rating. We gave them an A+ in this area. Our short-term care scores are considered to be most important for those requiring a nursing home for rehabilitation. Rehabilitation usually utilizes higher levels of skilled nursing services. This means not just nursing services, but also physical and occupational therapy, as well as other variations of therapy. Fortunately, it looks like this nursing home employs registered nurses. Not all nursing homes employs these skilled professionals. However, based on the data they provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. Lastly, we assessed the percentage of patients who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. We found that 6.9 percent of this facility's patients returned home.
Among its many impressive grades, this facility received an excellent nursing grade. In fact, we gave it a grade of A- in that category. Our nursing rating is primarily associated with the facility's nurse staffing. This particular nursing home provided 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This nursing home performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a nursing home has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can generally be prevented if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Does this page answer your questions about Lorien Nsg & Rehab Center Belair?
In addition, this nursing home also received a nearly flawless government inspection report. It earned one of our highest grades in that category with a score of A-. Inspection grades weigh several factors included in a nursing home's inspection reports. One of the most important criteria we rely on is the number and severity of deficiencies. Places with higher scores in this area tend to have very few of these severe deficiencies. While this place had a few deficiencies on its government inspection report, none were serious based on CMS' scale. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
Turning to our next area, this nursing home received a high-end long-term care score. In fact, we gave it a B+ in that area, completing one of our more favorable report cards. When facilities receive a score in this range in this category it typically means it has plenty of staff and is an overall good place to live on a permanent basis. In addition to considering the quantity of care provided by nurses and other staff, we also looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This facility gave the vaccine to 100 percent of its patients, which is far higher than most nursing homes. Clearly, this place is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its patients out of the hospital. It had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Lorien Nsg & Rehab Center Belair Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Lorien Nsg & Rehab Center Belair, 10.28% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percent of residents that sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered by many experts to be a barometer of nursing care at a nursing home. Pressure ulcers, which are also known as bed sores, are routinely caused by residents not being moved frequently enough.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Lorien Nsg & Rehab Center Belair, 2.53% of Patients had Serious Falls
This statistic measures the percent of long-term stay patients which suffered falls resulting in major injury. Falls can arise for a variety of reasons, but high rates of falls resulting in injuries may be an indicator of lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Lorien Nsg & Rehab Center Belair, 2.06% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percent of residents that have had a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are routinely the result of poor nursing care. Closer supervision can minimize the number likelihood of residents sustaining infections. We want to point out that this metric is affected by by the fact that facilities have varying reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Lorien Nsg & Rehab Center Belair, 12.87% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This metric tells you the percentage of long-term care patients taking antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs play an important role in caring for many residents, it is important to ensure these medications are being used appropriately. In limited cases, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may suggest that a facility is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Lorien Nsg & Rehab Center Belair, 13.59% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This metric tells you the percentage of long-term stay patients that are administered antianxiety medication. These medications are given to patients suffering from depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Lorien Nsg & Rehab Center Belair, 11.04% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents who are demonstrating depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Lorien Nsg & Rehab Center Belair, 90.84% of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term care residents who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Lorien Nsg & Rehab Center Belair, 20.64% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients that needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Lorien Nsg & Rehab Center Belair, 24.5% Percentage of Residents
This is the percentage of residents that were able to retain mobility over time. Retaining mobility is usually a good sign for residents' well-being.
In Lorien Nsg & Rehab Center Belair, 1.3 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
Measures the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Lorien Nsg & Rehab Center Belair, 24.5 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term care. There is generally a correlation between having fewer hospitalizations and the quality of rehabilitation services.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Lorien Nsg & Rehab Center Belair, 9.63 Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Lorien Nsg & Rehab Center Belair, 73.32% Percentage of Resident
This metric is a measure of the percent of short-term stay patients who saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Some experts argue this is a measure of rehabilitation services.
- Umd Upper Chesapeake Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.48 miles away500 Upper Chesapeake Drive Bel Air Maryland 21014Voluntary non-profit - Other(443) 643-3303
- University of Md Harford Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 12.83 miles away501 South Union Avenue Havre De Grace Maryland 21078Voluntary non-profit - Private(443) 643-3303
- Medstar Franklin Square Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 13.6 miles away9000 Franklin Square Drive Rosedale Maryland 21237Voluntary non-profit - Private(443) 777-7850
- Medstar Good Samaritan HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 17.29 miles away5601 Loch Raven Boulevard Baltimore Maryland 21239Voluntary non-profit - Other(443) 444-3902
- University of Md St Joseph Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 17.3 miles away7601 Osler Drive Towson Maryland 21204Voluntary non-profit - Private(410) 337-1000
- Greater Baltimore Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 17.82 miles away6701 North Charles Street Towson Maryland 21204Voluntary non-profit - Private(443) 849-2000
- Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 19.44 miles away4940 Eastern Avenue Baltimore Maryland 21224Voluntary non-profit - Private(410) 550-0123
- Medstar Union Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 19.63 miles away201 East University Parkway Baltimore Maryland 21218Voluntary non-profit - Other(410) 554-2227
- Davita - Belair0.7 miles away2225 Old Emmorton Rd Ste 100 Bel Air Maryland 21015CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (410) 515-2078
- Davita Edgewood Dialysis4.65 miles away1415 S. Mountain Rd Suite 105 Joppa Maryland 21085Dialysis Stations: 16 (410) 671-6059
- Forest Landing Dialysis5.57 miles away2220 Commerce Ave Ste 1 Forest Hill Maryland 21050Dialysis Stations: 24 (410) 638-6020
- Aberdeen Dialysis7.56 miles away780 W Bel Air Ave Aberdeen Maryland 21001CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 15 (410) 273-9333
- Fmc of Porter Dialysis - White Marsh11.82 miles away8013 Corporate Dr Ste K Nottingham Maryland 21236Dialysis Stations: 19 (410) 931-2478
- Fmc of Porter Dialysis - Rosedale12.97 miles away5235 King Ave Suite 110 & 112 Rosedale Maryland 21237Dialysis Stations: 18 (410) 918-0991
- Fresenius Kidney Care Nashua Court13.37 miles away3 Nashua Court Suite H Essex Maryland 21221Dialysis Stations: 21 (410) 686-1279
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Manor Care14.14 miles away6600 Ridge Rd Rosedale Maryland 21237Dialysis Stations: 6 (410) 780-7355