Lorien Nsg & Rehab Center Belair is one of a mere two facilities in Bel Air, Maryland. This facility was given an overall grade of B+, which is very good rating. In our view, this facility looks like a solid choice for quite a few people. One of the highlights of this facility's report card is its impressive short-term care rating, which you can find in the next paragraph.
Lorien Nsg & Rehab Center Belair
- Nursing Home
- Assisted Living
- Adult Day Care
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Lymphedema Care
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
On top of faring well overall, this facility received high marks in the category of short-term care as well. It received our highest grade in that category with an A+. Short-term care ratings are critical for patients looking for rehabilitation. Rehabilitation generally requires higher levels of highly-skilled nursing. This includes a wide spectrum of nursing services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and occupational therapists, as well as other forms of therapy. Fortunately, it looks like this nursing home employs registered nurses. Not every facility employs these skilled professionals. However, according to the data they provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. Finally, we considered the number of residents who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. We found that 7.1 percent of this facility's patients returned home.
In addition, this facility also excelled in the area of inspections, where it received an A-. Few nursing homes performed better in this area. Arguably the most critical factor we consider in computing our inspection grades is deficiencies. Deficiencies are found on a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Nursing homes with higher grades in this area most likely dodged the more severe deficiencies involving patient abuse or death. This nursing home was assessed 5 deficiencies on its inspection report, but none were considered severe. This indicates that the inspectors did not deem any of these deficiencies to be an immediate risk to resident health or safety. We should note that deficiency-free inspections are uncommon in the industry.
Does this page answer your questions about Lorien Nsg & Rehab Center Belair?
In addition, this facility also received favorable nursing grades this year. In fact, we awarded them one of our better scores in that area, with a grade of B. The nursing rating includes a host of factors. The most important factor is the amount of time nurses spend with patients. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Lastly, we also looked at some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing grades. This nursing home performed very well in terms of minimizing its residents' pressure ulcers and major falls. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Long-term Care Quality
The last category we analyzed is long-term care. We gave this nursing home a decent grade in this area, with a grade of B-. While this isn't on par with some of this nursing home's other scores, it is still not a bad grade. Long-term care grades assess a nursing home's personal care instead of the highly skilled therapy and healthcare services that are critical to a skilled nursing facility. On top of assessing the amount of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we also looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. Fortunately, this nursing home administered the vaccine to 97.38562 percent of its residents, which is an above average datapoint. Finally, this place was also able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Lorien Nsg & Rehab Center Belair Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Lorien Nsg & Rehab Center Belair, 10.35% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This datapoint is an indication of the percentage of long-term care residents who are suffering from pressure ulcers. We find that pressure ulcers are a solid measure of a facility's nursing care quality.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Lorien Nsg & Rehab Center Belair, 2.83% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percentage of residents who sustained a major fall. Falls leading to serious injuries are considered by many experts to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. Falls which result in injury are routinely caused by poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Lorien Nsg & Rehab Center Belair, 2.06% of Patients had UTIs
This figure tells you the percent of long-term patients who have suffered from urinary tract infections. UTI's may be a sign of a facility with lower levels of hygiene. Nevertheless, this statistic could also be skewed for certain facilities due to different reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Lorien Nsg & Rehab Center Belair, 13.12% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of patients given antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic medications may be vital to many residents, it is important to ensure these medications are being used only where medically required. In some cases, increased usage of these drugs may mean that a nursing home is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Lorien Nsg & Rehab Center Belair, 14.71% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This metric measures the percentage of long-term residents who are given antianxiety medication. These medications are used to treat residents suffering from depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Lorien Nsg & Rehab Center Belair, 10.05% of Patients
This is the percent of patients exhibiting signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Lorien Nsg & Rehab Center Belair, 92.62% of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents that were given the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Lorien Nsg & Rehab Center Belair, 19.85% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients who required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of needing for assistance with ADL's could indicate decline of a resident's medical condition.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Lorien Nsg & Rehab Center Belair, 30.15% Percentage of Residents
This metric measures the percentage of long-term residents that were able to retain mobility. Some experts would argue that the ability to move around is critical to residents' mental and physical well-being.
In Lorien Nsg & Rehab Center Belair, 0.99 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is a measure of the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Lorien Nsg & Rehab Center Belair, 30.15 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric tracks the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Lorien Nsg & Rehab Center Belair, 8.9 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Lorien Nsg & Rehab Center Belair, 73.77% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of short-term patients that experienced functional improvements.
- Umd Upper Chesapeake Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.48 miles away500 Upper Chesapeake Drive Bel Air Maryland 21014Voluntary non-profit - Other(443) 643-3303
- University of Md Harford Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 12.83 miles away501 South Union Avenue Havre De Grace Maryland 21078Voluntary non-profit - Private(443) 643-3303
- Medstar Franklin Square Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 13.6 miles away9000 Franklin Square Drive Rosedale Maryland 21237Voluntary non-profit - Private(443) 777-7850
- Medstar Good Samaritan HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 17.29 miles away5601 Loch Raven Boulevard Baltimore Maryland 21239Voluntary non-profit - Other(443) 444-3902
- University of Md St Joseph Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 17.3 miles away7601 Osler Drive Towson Maryland 21204Voluntary non-profit - Private(410) 337-1000
- Greater Baltimore Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 17.82 miles away6701 North Charles Street Towson Maryland 21204Voluntary non-profit - Private(443) 849-2000
- Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 19.44 miles away4940 Eastern Avenue Baltimore Maryland 21224Voluntary non-profit - Private(410) 550-0123
- Medstar Union Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 19.63 miles away201 East University Parkway Baltimore Maryland 21218Voluntary non-profit - Other(410) 554-2227
- Davita - Belair0.7 miles away2225 Old Emmorton Rd Ste 100 Bel Air Maryland 21015CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (410) 515-2078
- Davita Edgewood Dialysis4.65 miles away1415 S. Mountain Rd Suite 105 Joppa Maryland 21085Dialysis Stations: 16 (410) 671-6059
- Forest Landing Dialysis5.57 miles away2220 Commerce Ave Ste 1 Forest Hill Maryland 21050Dialysis Stations: 24 (410) 638-6020
- Aberdeen Dialysis7.56 miles away780 W Bel Air Ave Aberdeen Maryland 21001CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 15 (410) 273-9333
- Fmc of Porter Dialysis - White Marsh11.82 miles away8013 Corporate Dr Ste K Nottingham Maryland 21236Dialysis Stations: 19 (410) 931-2478
- Fmc of Porter Dialysis - Rosedale12.97 miles away5235 King Ave Suite 110 & 112 Rosedale Maryland 21237Dialysis Stations: 18 (410) 918-0991
- Fresenius Kidney Care Nashua Court13.37 miles away3 Nashua Court Suite H Essex Maryland 21221Dialysis Stations: 21 (410) 686-1279
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Manor Care14.14 miles away6600 Ridge Rd Rosedale Maryland 21237Dialysis Stations: 6 (410) 780-7355