Lorien Health Systems - Columbia is in Columbia, Maryland, a city with a population of 95,072 people. We gave this nursing home an A overall grade, ranking it in the top fifth of all facilities in the country. We flat out can not say enough great things about this place. As you can see below, this nursing home also performed just fine in our category scores. It's hard to find any major flaws in this place's profile.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Lorien Health Systems - Columbia
- Nursing Home
- Assisted Living
Updated Nov 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Columbia senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Amputee Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Lymphedema Care
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
On top of performing well in its overall grade, this facility received an excellent short-term care grade. In fact, we gave it an A in that category. In our short-term care category, we attempt to craft a valuable barometer for rehabilitation. In doing so, we analyze a nursing home's level of highly-skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as respiratory therapy. Fortunately, it appear that this nursing home employs registered nurses. Not all facilities employs these skilled professionals. However, based on the data this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. The last datapoint we assessed in this area is the number of residents who were able to leave the facility and return home. We found that 6 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home.
In addition, this nursing home also earned a nearly flawless inspection report. As a result, it earned one of our best grades in that area with a score of A. These inspection scores take several factors into consideration, including deficiencies and federal fines. You can learn more about each of these items by reviewing copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. While this nursing home had some deficiencies on its government inspection report, none were serious based on CMS' scale. We should point out that deficiency-free inspections are rare in the industry.
Does this page answer your questions about Lorien Health Systems - Columbia?
Long-term Care Quality
Building on its high-end resume, this facility also was given a dominant long-term care score, with a score of A. If you are seeking services other than rehabilitation, you should take a close look at each facility's long-term care scores. After assessing the quantity of care provided by nurses and other staff, we then analyzed the nursing home's vaccination records. This nursing home vaccinated 93.17739 percent of its residents against pneumonia, which happens to be slightly below what we were hoping for but still a reasonably acceptable percentage. Finally, this facility was able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had only 0.04 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
In the last category we analyzed, this nursing home was given a very strong grade of B+ in our nursing category. With this score, the nursing home rounded out a very impressive report card. Our nursing grade is primarily associated with a nursing home's level of nurse staffing. This nursing home provides 0.5 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also factored a few quality-based metrics into our nursing grades. This place was relatively weak in two of the major areas we focus on, with below average scores for minimizing its residents' pressure ulcers and major falls. These areas are generally reliable indicators of the quality of nursing care provided.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Lorien Health Systems - Columbia Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Lorien Health Systems - Columbia, 13.35% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This statistic is an indication of the percentage of long-term residents which suffer from pressure ulcers. We have found that pressure ulcers are a solid measure of the quality of nursing care a facility provides.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Lorien Health Systems - Columbia, 6.82% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percent of residents that suffered from a fall leading to serious injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Lorien Health Systems - Columbia, 2.58% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of patients that suffered from a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are routinely associated with nursing homes with worse hygiene protocols. Additional nurse staffing can limit the percentage of residents in a nursing home who suffer from UTI's. Keep in mind that this statistic is sometimes skewed by the fact that facilities have different reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Lorien Health Systems - Columbia, 7.46% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percent of residents given antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic drugs may be vital to many patients, it is important to make sure these medications are being used appropriately. In limited cases, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may suggest that a nursing home is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Lorien Health Systems - Columbia, 8.05% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percent of residents who were given antianxiety drugs. These medications are prescribed to patients suffering from depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Lorien Health Systems - Columbia, 6.16% of Patients
This is the percent of residents who are showing symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Lorien Health Systems - Columbia, 94.75% of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients who were administered the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Lorien Health Systems - Columbia, 22.56% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients that required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of needing for assistance with activities of daily living may indicate deterioration of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Lorien Health Systems - Columbia, 28.62% of Residents
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents who remained mobile levels. Some experts argue that mobility is vital to residents' physical and mental health.
In Lorien Health Systems - Columbia, 0.04 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
Measures the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care. Avoiding hospitalizations is critical to preserving the physical health of residents.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Lorien Health Systems - Columbia, 28.62% of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term patient care. There is generally a correlation between staying out of the hospital and a nursing home's quality of short-term rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Lorien Health Systems - Columbia, 11.04% of Patients
This metric measures the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Lorien Health Systems - Columbia, 80.36% of Resident
Measures the percentage of short-term stay patients that saw functional improvements.
- Howard County General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.18 miles away5755 Cedar Lane Columbia Maryland 21044Voluntary non-profit - Private(410) 740-7890
- University of Md Laurel Regional HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.86 miles away7300 Van Dusen Road Laurel Maryland 20707Voluntary non-profit - Private(301) 725-4300
- Medstar Montgomery Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.72 miles away18101 Prince Philip Drive Olney Maryland 20832Voluntary non-profit - Private(301) 774-8882
- Adventist Healthcare White Oak Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.93 miles away12100 Plum Orchard Drive Silver Spring Maryland 20904Voluntary non-profit - Private(301) 891-5651
- Northwest Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 12.57 miles away5401 Old Court Road Randallstown Maryland 21133Voluntary non-profit - Private(410) 521-2200
- Saint Agnes HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 12.58 miles away900 Caton Avenue Baltimore Maryland 21229Voluntary non-profit - Church(410) 368-2101
- Bon Secours HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 14.12 miles away2000 W Baltimore Street Baltimore Maryland 21223Voluntary non-profit - Private(410) 362-3000
- Umd Baltimore Washington Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 14.44 miles away301 Hospital Drive Glen Burnie Maryland 21061Voluntary non-profit - Other(410) 595-1967
- Davita - Cedar Lane0.01 miles away6334 Cedar Lane Columbia Maryland 21044Dialysis Stations: 13 (410) 531-5390
- Davita - Howard County1.41 miles away5999 Harpers Farm Rd Ste E-110 Columbia Maryland 21044CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (410) 997-4244
- Ellicott City Dialysis Center LLC6.16 miles away3419 Plum Tree Drive Suites 103-106 Ellicott City Maryland 21042CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (410) 750-8426
- Davita-Ellicott Kidney Center LLC7.37 miles away3000 N Ridge Rd Ellicott City Maryland 21043Dialysis Stations: 7 (410) 465-0273
- Kidney Care of Laurel7.56 miles away14631 Laurel Bowie Rd Ste 100 Laurel Maryland 20707CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (301) 725-3559
- Davita Laurel Lakes Dialysis7.68 miles away14500 Laurel Place Laurel Maryland 20707Dialysis Stations: 13 (301) 776-1769
- Kidney Home Center10.82 miles away2270 Rolling Run Drive Suite 600 Windsor Mill Maryland 21244Dialysis Stations: 21 (410) 265-0618
- Davita - Catonsville11.04 miles away1581 Sulphur Spring Rd Ste 112 Halethorpe Maryland 21227CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (410) 242-7766