With an address in Verona, Pennsylvania, Longwood at Oakmont is one of just a few facilities in the city. This proved to be an A rated facility, which is one of the top scores we offer. In our view, this facility looks like a wonderful choice for most people. We also gave this facility phenomenal ratings in all four of the major categories we assessed. More information about these categories can be found below.
Longwood at Oakmont
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
- Contracted Memory Care
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- No Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- No Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
Registered Staff Hours
With an overall grade this high, it should come as no surprise that this facility excelled in the area of inspections, where it received an A. Arguably the most critical factor we look at in computing our inspection scores is deficiencies. These deficiencies can be found on a nursing home's inspection reports. Nursing homes with better scores in this area most likely avoided the more severe deficiencies involving things like patient abuse. This particular nursing home received 2 deficiencies on its inspection report. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Short-term Care Quality
Among its many impressive grades, this facility was awarded a top-shelf short-term care grade. In fact, we gave it a grade of A in this category. Our short-term care scores are meaningful for individuals in need of rehabilitation. Rehabilitation usually utilizes higher levels of skilled nursing services. This means a broad scope of services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and respiratory therapists, as well as other types of therapy. Fortunately, it looks like this facility has registered nurses on staff. Not every facility employs these skilled professionals. On the other hand, based on the data they provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. Finally, we assessed the percentage of residents who were able to return home from this nursing home. We found that 6 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home.
Does this page answer your questions about Longwood at Oakmont?
We also wanted to emphasize the fact that this facility received an impressive grade of A in our nursing category. Our nursing rating is mostly associated with the facility's nurse staffing. This facility provided 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This nursing home performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a facility has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can generally be avoided if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Long-term Care Quality
Moving on to the final area, this facility also excelled in the long-term care category. In fact, we awarded it an A- for this area. This wrapped up truly elite report card. When nursing homes receive this type of score in this category it is a good sign for patient care and indicates that the nursing home is well-staffed with nurses aids. One of the criteria we considered after nurse's aid hours was vaccinations. This nursing home administered the pneumonia vaccine to 96.98795 percent of its patients. This is a proven method to minimize unnecessary deaths for the aged 65 and up population. Clearly, this nursing home is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its residents out of the hospital. It had only 0.01 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Longwood at Oakmont Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Longwood at Oakmont, 7.72% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This statistic indicates the percent of long-term stay residents who are suffering from pressure ulcers . We use this statistic in calculating both nursing and long-term care grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Longwood at Oakmont, 3.42% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percent of residents that have had a fall which caused severe injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Longwood at Oakmont, 1.92% of Patients had UTIs
This gauges the percentage of long-term care patients which experienced urinary tract infections. Although a higher rate of these infections may reflect poorly on a nursing home's cleanliness, it is difficult to compare between facilities due to differing reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Longwood at Oakmont, 15.49% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percentage of residents who were prescribed antipsychotic drugs. Antipsychotic medications are prescribed to patients for a variety of medical conditions, such as dementia. Unfortunately, in limited cases, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may indicate that a nursing home is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Longwood at Oakmont, 19.89% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percent of residents who were prescribed antianxiety medications. Antianxiety medications are prescribed to residents suffering from depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Longwood at Oakmont, 3.23% of Patients
This is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents who are demonstrating signs of depression. Some believe that this is a measure of resident quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Longwood at Oakmont, 88.5% of Patients
This is the percent of residents that have received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Longwood at Oakmont, 15.28% Percentage of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term patients who needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as getting dressed and continence.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Longwood at Oakmont, 23.65% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percent of residents that were able to retain mobility over time. Retaining mobility can be a good sign for residents' well-being.
In Longwood at Oakmont, 1.24 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Longwood at Oakmont, 23.65 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term patient care. There is generally a correlation between reduced hospitalizations and the quality of rehabilitation services.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Longwood at Oakmont, 8.84 Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care. Avoiding emergency medical situations is one way to gauge patient well-being during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Longwood at Oakmont, 72.22% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percentage of short-term patients that saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
- Upmc St MargaretAcute Care Hospitals 5.01 miles away815 Freeport Road Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15215Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 784-4000
- Upmc EastAcute Care Hospitals 6.92 miles away2775 Mosside Boulevard Monroeville Pennsylvania 15146Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 357-3000
- Allegheny Valley HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.57 miles away1301 Carlisle St Natrona Heights Pennsylvania 15065Voluntary non-profit - Other(412) 224-5100
- Forbes HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.62 miles away2570 Haymaker Road Monroeville Pennsylvania 15146Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 858-2000
- West Penn HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.18 miles away4800 Friendship Avenue Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15224Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 578-5000
- Upmc Presbyterian ShadysideAcute Care Hospitals 9.64 miles away200 Lothrop Street Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15213Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 647-8788
- Magee Womens Hospital of Upmc Health SystemAcute Care Hospitals 9.8 miles away300 Halket Street Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15213Voluntary non-profit - Other(412) 641-4010
- Upmc PassavantAcute Care Hospitals 10.78 miles away9100 Babcock Boulevard Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15237Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 367-6700
- Davita - Harmarville Dialysis0.97 miles away791 Freeport Road Cheswick Pennsylvania 15024Dialysis Stations: 13 (724) 274-9281
- Dci Renal Services of Pittsburgh, LLC - Harmar Village0.98 miles away725 Freeport Road Cheswick Pennsylvania 15024Dialysis Stations: 14 (412) 823-5422
- Total Renal Care, Inc.3.66 miles away1 Kensington Square B New Kensington Pennsylvania 15068Dialysis Stations: 8 (724) 335-2876
- Dci of New Kensington3.69 miles away722 Fourth Avenue New Kensington Pennsylvania 15068Dialysis Stations: 20 (724) 339-1772
- Davita - Penn Hills Dialysis4.36 miles away202 Rodi Road Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15235CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (412) 371-1102
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Penn Hills4.47 miles away11624 Keleket Drive Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15235Dialysis Stations: 13 (412) 244-3931
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Shaler6.89 miles away880 Butler Street Shaler Plaza Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15223Dialysis Stations: 16 (412) 782-3790
- Dci Renal Services of Pittsburgh, LLC - Point Breeze6.89 miles away7620 Meade Street Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15221Dialysis Stations: 22 (412) 247-5223