With an address in Verona, Pennsylvania, Longwood at Oakmont is one of just a few facilities in the city. This proved to be an A rated facility, which is one of the top scores we offer. In our view, this facility looks like a wonderful choice for most people. We also gave this facility phenomenal ratings in all four of the major categories we assessed. More information about these categories can be found below.
Longwood at Oakmont
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
- Contracted Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
500 Route 909,
Verona PA 15147
91% estimated occupancy 1
- Accepts Medicare 1
- No Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- No Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
Best Nursing Home in Verona, Pennsylvania Awards 2020
Top Nursing Home in Pennsylvania Awards 2021
Best Nursing Home in Verona, Pennsylvania Awards 2021
Registered Staff Hours
With an overall grade this high, it should come as no surprise that this facility excelled in the area of inspections, where it received an A. Arguably the most critical factor we look at in computing our inspection scores is deficiencies. These deficiencies can be found on a nursing home's inspection reports. Nursing homes with better scores in this area most likely avoided the more severe deficiencies involving things like patient abuse. This particular nursing home received 2 deficiencies on its inspection report. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
One of the other reasons we graded this nursing home so highly is that it received a very impressive nursing rating. Nursing proved to be its second best category grade. In that area, we awarded this nursing home an A. In determining our nursing scores, we look at both nursing hours and the training levels of the nurses. This particular nursing home provided 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Lastly, we also assessed some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing grades. This facility performed very well in the area of avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Does this page answer your questions about Longwood at Oakmont?
Short-term Care Quality
Turning our third area, this nursing home received an excellent short-term care score. In fact, we awarded it a grade of A in that category. In computing our short-term care grades, we look at a nursing home's levels of skilled nursing services, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists occupational therapists and other highly skilled individuals. This grade is often a solid measure of a nursing home's rehabilitation services. Fortunately, it appear that this nursing home has registered nurses on staff. Not every nursing home employs these skilled professionals. However, according to the data they provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. The final statistic we assessed in this area is the number of residents who were able to leave the facility and return to the community. We found that 5.5 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home.
Long-term Care Quality
Moving on to our next category, this facility was given a very strong long-term care score. We gave it an A- in that category, resulting in this facility receiving straight A's. Facilities that receive this kind of grade in long-term care tend to provide consistent 24/7 care to ensure residents are kept in good health. After we finished assessing the volume of nursing care, we next considered the nursing home's vaccination data. This nursing home vaccinated 97.82609 percent of its patients for pneumonia, which is very impressive. Pneumonia sadly can be a life or death ailment for nursing home patients so we prefer when a facility does not leave this to chance. Clearly, this nursing home is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its patients out of the hospital. It had only 0 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Longwood at Oakmont Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Longwood at Oakmont, 7.59% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is an indication of the percentage of long-term residents that have new or worsened pressure ulcers or bed sores. We consider this statistic when determining our nursing grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Longwood at Oakmont, 3.37% of Patients had Serious Falls
This metric gauges the percent of long-term patients that suffered a fall which resulted in severe injury. We use this statistic in determining our nursing scores.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Longwood at Oakmont, 1.9% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percentage of residents who have had a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are routinely linked to facilities with lower levels of hygiene. Better nursing care reduces the number of UTI's sustained by residents in a nursing home. Keep in mind that this statistic is affected by by the fact that facilities have different reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Longwood at Oakmont, 15.54% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percentage of long-term patients that were administered antipsychotic medication. High levels of antipsychotic drug use may suggest that a nursing home is using these drugs to subdue residents in scenarios where such medications are not medically indicated. Nevertheless, some facilities need to rely on these medications due to having more residents with Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Longwood at Oakmont, 19.74% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This statistic indicates the percentage of long-term stay patients that were given antianxiety drugs. These medications are prescribed to patients experiencing anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Longwood at Oakmont, 3.12% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term patients who are showing symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Longwood at Oakmont, 88.22% of Patients
Measures the percent of long-term stay patients who were given the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be fatal for nursing home patients, making these types of vaccines important for resident well-being.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Longwood at Oakmont, 14.84% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents who needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of needing for assistance with activities of daily living may be a sign of the decline of a resident's health.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Longwood at Oakmont, 21.64% Percentage of Residents
Measures the percent of long-term residents that were able to retain mobility.
In Longwood at Oakmont, 1.31 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care. There is generally a correlation between having fewer hospitalizations and the quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Longwood at Oakmont, 21.64 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric tracks the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term resident care. Avoiding rehospitalizations during rehabilitation is important to restoring the physical well-being of residents.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Longwood at Oakmont, 8.92 Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Longwood at Oakmont, 72.59% Percentage of Resident
This metric is a measure of the percentage of short-term stay patients who saw functional improvements.
- Upmc St MargaretAcute Care Hospitals 5.01 miles away815 Freeport Road Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15215Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 784-4000
- Upmc EastAcute Care Hospitals 6.92 miles away2775 Mosside Boulevard Monroeville Pennsylvania 15146Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 357-3000
- Allegheny Valley HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.57 miles away1301 Carlisle St Natrona Heights Pennsylvania 15065Voluntary non-profit - Other(412) 224-5100
- Forbes HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.62 miles away2570 Haymaker Road Monroeville Pennsylvania 15146Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 858-2000
- West Penn HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.18 miles away4800 Friendship Avenue Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15224Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 578-5000
- Upmc Presbyterian ShadysideAcute Care Hospitals 9.64 miles away200 Lothrop Street Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15213Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 647-8788
- Magee Womens Hospital of Upmc Health SystemAcute Care Hospitals 9.8 miles away300 Halket Street Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15213Voluntary non-profit - Other(412) 641-4010
- Upmc PassavantAcute Care Hospitals 10.78 miles away9100 Babcock Boulevard Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15237Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 367-6700
- Davita - Harmarville Dialysis0.97 miles away791 Freeport Road Cheswick Pennsylvania 15024Dialysis Stations: 13 (724) 274-9281
- Dci Renal Services of Pittsburgh, LLC - Harmar Village0.98 miles away725 Freeport Road Cheswick Pennsylvania 15024Dialysis Stations: 14 (412) 823-5422
- Total Renal Care, Inc.3.66 miles away1 Kensington Square B New Kensington Pennsylvania 15068Dialysis Stations: 8 (724) 335-2876
- Dci of New Kensington3.69 miles away722 Fourth Avenue New Kensington Pennsylvania 15068Dialysis Stations: 20 (724) 339-1772
- Davita - Penn Hills Dialysis4.36 miles away202 Rodi Road Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15235CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (412) 371-1102
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Penn Hills4.47 miles away11624 Keleket Drive Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15235Dialysis Stations: 13 (412) 244-3931
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Shaler6.89 miles away880 Butler Street Shaler Plaza Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15223Dialysis Stations: 16 (412) 782-3790
- Dci Renal Services of Pittsburgh, LLC - Point Breeze6.89 miles away7620 Meade Street Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15221Dialysis Stations: 22 (412) 247-5223