Life Care Center of Kirkland is a large nursing home in Kirkland, Washington. This is a subpar facility, with an overall grade of D. This facility seems to have very little going for it. We wouldn't blame you if you're ready to stop reading and find another nursing home. However, if you want to learn more about this facility's category grades, we will discuss inspections in the next paragraph.
Life Care Center of Kirkland
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
Note: Life Care Center of Kirkland has been flagged for abuse in the past 12 months. We have capped this facility's overall grade accordingly.
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
While this place's overall grade was not a highlight, it received a somewhat respectable grade in the area of inspections. We awarded it a B- for that category, which is a decent score. We weigh several aspects of a nursing home's inspection report in computing our inspection ratings. One critical factor is health deficiencies. It should be noted that the severity of these deficiencies is arguably more important than the quantity of deficiencies, as some of these end up being quite minor. Although this facility had a few deficiencies on its report, none were major deficiencies based on CMS' deficiency scale. Finally, CMS flagged this nursing home for possible abuse or neglect. This is not what you want to see. We advise you to direct your search elsewhere.
One of the other reasons we graded this facility so highly is that it received a very impressive nursing grade. This turned out to be its second best category grade. In that area, we gave this facility an B-. In computing a nursing home's nursing rating, we look at the quantity of hours nurses spend with patients as well as the levels of training of those nurses. This facility provided just 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a relatively low total compared to most other facilities. Despite having low quantities of nursing care, this place actually excelled in some of the quality-based metrics we assessed. It performed well in the area of avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls. Many consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care. In many cases, the quality of nursing care is every bit as important as the quantity of hours of care provided.
Does this page answer your questions about Life Care Center of Kirkland?
Short-term Care Quality
The third category we graded is short-term care. In that area, we awarded this facility a B-. Our short-term care ratings are likely more important for patients requiring a nursing home for rehabilitation. Rehabilitation usually mandates higher levels of highly-skilled nursing. This means not only nursing, but also physical and speech therapy, as well as other types of therapy. In this place's case, we were surprised to learn that it actually provides less registered nurse and physical therapist hours per patient than the typical facility. Finally, we assessed the number of patients who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that 7.2 percent of this facility's residents returned home. At most nursing homes, closer to half of their patients are able to return home so this figure is below average.
Long-term Care Quality
Switching gears to the last category, this facility received a grade of C for long-term care, which is generally a respectable rating. Our long-term care grade is commonly used to measure a facility's performance as a traditional convalescent home, as opposed to focusing more on the skilled nursing services provided by a rehabilitation facility. In addition to assessing the volume of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we analyzed the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This facility administered the vaccine to 97.22222 percent of its patients, which is more than most nursing homes. Lastly, this place was also able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Life Care Center of Kirkland Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Life Care Center of Kirkland, 7.09% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This figure tells you the percentage of long-term care residents which suffered from pressure ulcers. We find that pressure ulcers are a solid barometer of quality of care.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Life Care Center of Kirkland, 2.86% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percent of patients that sustained a major fall. Falls resulting in serious injury are considered to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. Falls leading to injury are often caused by lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Life Care Center of Kirkland, 2.28% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percent of residents that suffered from a urinary tract infection. These infections could be linked to poorer hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Life Care Center of Kirkland, 13.8% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of patients given antipsychotic medications. These drugs are sometimes used for treating several conditions, such as cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Life Care Center of Kirkland, 12.29% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percent of patients prescribed antianxiety medications. These drugs are generally used to treat residents experiencing anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Life Care Center of Kirkland, 13.74% of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term stay residents who are demonstrating signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Life Care Center of Kirkland, 93.71% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term stay residents who have received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be very dangerous for seniors, making these types of vaccines important for resident well-being.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Life Care Center of Kirkland, 13.94% Percentage of Patients
This is the percentage of patients that needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of needing for assistance with activities of daily living may indicate erosion of a resident's health.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Life Care Center of Kirkland, 21.78% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term care patients who were able to retain mobility.
In Life Care Center of Kirkland, 1 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of care. There is typically a correlation between keeping patients out of the hospital and the overall quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Life Care Center of Kirkland, 21.78 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
Measures the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Life Care Center of Kirkland, 10.98 Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term care. Avoiding medical emergencies is one way to measure short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Life Care Center of Kirkland, 74.42% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percent of short-term care residents who saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
- Evergreenhealth Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.36 miles away12040 Ne 128th Street Kirkland Washington 98034Government - Hospital District or Authority(425) 899-1000
- Seattle Children's HospitalChildrens 4.66 miles away4800 Sand Point Way Ne, PO Box C-5371 Seattle Washington 98105Voluntary non-profit - Private(206) 987-2000
- Uw Medicine/Northwest HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6 miles away1550 North 115th Street Seattle Washington 98133Voluntary non-profit - Other(206) 368-1700
- University of Washington Medical CtrAcute Care Hospitals 6.15 miles away1959 Ne Pacific St Box 356151 Seattle Washington 98195Government - State(206) 598-3300
- Kaiser Permanente Central HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.83 miles away201 - 16th Avenue East Seattle Washington 98112Voluntary non-profit - Other(206) 326-3000
- Swedish Medical Center / Cherry HillAcute Care Hospitals 8.56 miles away500 17th Avenue Seattle Washington 98122Voluntary non-profit - Church(206) 320-2000
- Swedish Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.67 miles away747 Broadway Seattle Washington 98122Voluntary non-profit - Private(206) 386-6000
- Virginia Mason Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.82 miles away925 Seneca St Seattle Washington 98101Voluntary non-profit - Private(206) 223-6600
- Nkc Kirkland Kidney Center0.74 miles away11327 Ne 120th St Kirkland Washington 98034CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (425) 821-8785
- Seattle Childrens Hospital Dialysis4.32 miles away4800 Sand Point Way Ne Oc.9.820 Seattle Washington 98105Dialysis Stations: 7 (206) 987-3985
- Nkc Lake City Kidney Center4.52 miles away14524 Bothell Way Ne Seattle Washington 98155CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (206) 365-0775
- Nkc Scribner Kidney Center5.8 miles away2150 N 107th, Suite 160 Seattle Washington 98133CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (206) 363-5090
- Nkc Lake Washington Kidney Center5.91 miles away1474 112th Ave Ne, Suite 100 Bellevue Washington 98004Dialysis Stations: 18 (425) 454-0067
- Mill Creek Dialysis Center5.92 miles away18001 Bothell Everett Hwy Ste 112 Bothell Washington 98012Dialysis Stations: 9 (425) 481-5258
- Olympic View Dialysis Center6.47 miles away125 16th Ave E, Csb-5 Seattle Washington 98112CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (206) 323-8900
- Puget Sound Kc South7.58 miles away21309 44th Ave W Mountlake Terrace Washington 98043CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 31 (425) 744-1095