Life Care Center of Fort Wayne turns out to be one of many nursing home options at your disposal in Fort Wayne, Indiana. This nursing home received an uninspiring overall grade of D based on the data we looked at. We ranked this as one of the bottom five rated nursing homes in Fort Wayne. With more than 20 other nursing homes in the city, you should be able to do better. If you aren't deterred by this facility's report card, feel free to continue reading to find out about its category grades. Inspection grades are discussed in the next section.
Life Care Center of Fort Wayne
Updated May 1, 2022 by Sara Levinsohn
1649 Spy Run Avenue,
Fort Wayne IN 46805
55.92% estimated occupancy 1
Registered Staff Hours
Although we did not rate this facility highly overall, we want to point out its nearly flawless inspections in recent years. We awarded them an A in this category. Inspection grades are tied to several items located in the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Deficiencies are a key thing to look for on these inspections. You should especially avoid facilities that have severe deficiencies associated with risks to resident well being. While this place had some minor dings on its report, it had zero severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are ones found in categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This means that the inspectors didn't consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient health or safety. A couple minor deficiencies aren't necessarily the end of the world.
Long-term Care Quality
Sadly, this nursing home's next most respectable category is long-term care. However, with a D in this category, it still performed relatively badly. For long-term care residents, the nursing home's primary goal is to maintain patients' quality of life and keep them safe. On top of looking at the volume of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we also looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This facility administered the vaccine to 97.8903 percent of its patients. To our surprise, this facility was able to limit hospitalizations. With just 1.52 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, this nursing home had fewer hospitalizations than the average nursing home. Sadly, some of its other scores in the category were not as favorable as these.
Does this page answer your questions about Life Care Center of Fort Wayne?
Short-term Care Quality
Our third category we assessed is short-term care, in which this facility was given an F. Our short-term care grade is often used to grade a facility's rehabilitation services In order to provide highly scored rehabilitation services, nursing homes generally need to feature higher levels of highly skilled nursing. These types of services include registered nurses, physical therapists, occupational therapists and other types of therapists. Unfortunately, we found that this place offered less registered nurse and physical therapist hours per resident than most other facilities. Finally, we looked at the number of residents who were able to return to the community from this facility. This definitely was not a strength for this nursing home. We found that just 37.1 percent of this facility's patients returned home. At most facilities, around half of their patients are able to return home so this is well below average.
The final category we assessed was nursing, in which this nursing home received a rock bottom score in this category as well. We gave it an abysmal F in this area, which is definitely somewhat alarming. We weighed the qualifications of nurses working for the nursing home, in addition to the number of hours the nurses worked with patients, in calculating our rating in this category. With just 3.3 hours of nursing care per patient each day, this nursing home's nurse staffing levels were quite a bit below average. To go along with its low totals in the area of nursing hours per resident, this nursing home also didn't fare as well in the quality-based measures we looked at in computing our nursing ratings. We looked at the percentage of residents experiencing pressure ulcers and major falls. This nursing home had more pressure ulcers and falls than the average facility. This could be a bad sign when you consider that many falls and bed sores are believed to be preventable with better nursing care. These scores hurt this facility's nursing rating quite a bit.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Life Care Center of Fort Wayne Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Life Care Center of Fort Wayne, 7.63% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This figure is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients that suffer from new or worsened pressure ulcers or bed sores. We bake this statistic into both nursing and long-term care grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Life Care Center of Fort Wayne, 3.9% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of residents that have had a fall which caused severe injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Life Care Center of Fort Wayne, 1.95% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of residents that suffered from a urinary tract infection. UTI's are routinely caused by poor nursing care. Better hygiene protocols can minimize the percentage of residents in a nursing home who suffer from UTI's. We want to point out that this datapoint is sometimes skewed by the fact that nursing homes have varying reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Life Care Center of Fort Wayne, 13.18% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This statistic is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents taking antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic drugs play an important role in caring for many residents, it is important to confirm these drugs are being used appropriately. In some situations, excessive reliance on these medications may suggest that a nursing home is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Life Care Center of Fort Wayne, 21.53% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percentage of patients prescribed antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety drugs are given to patients suffering from depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Life Care Center of Fort Wayne, 12.55% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term care residents exhibiting signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Life Care Center of Fort Wayne, 91.52% of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients that were administered the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Life Care Center of Fort Wayne, 16.15% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents that needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Life Care Center of Fort Wayne, 17.47% Percentage of Residents
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term care patients that retained mobility levels.
In Life Care Center of Fort Wayne, 1.36 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is a measure of the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Life Care Center of Fort Wayne, 17.47 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is a measure of the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term resident care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Life Care Center of Fort Wayne, 11.18 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term care. There is generally a correlation between staying out of the emergency room and the overall quality of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Life Care Center of Fort Wayne, 73.66% Percentage of Resident
This metric measures the percent of short-term care patients that experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Some argue that this is a reliable measure of a facility's rehabilitation performance.
Scores for Fort Wayne, IN
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Fort Wayne, Indiana has 23 other nursing homes
- St Joseph HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.06 miles away700 Broadway Fort Wayne Indiana 46802Proprietary(260) 425-3000
- Dupont Hospital LLCAcute Care Hospitals 6.3 miles away2520 E Dupont Rd Fort Wayne Indiana 46825Proprietary(260) 416-3000
- Lutheran Hospital of IndianaAcute Care Hospitals 6.85 miles away7950 W Jefferson Blvd Fort Wayne Indiana 46804Proprietary(260) 435-7001
- Parkview Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.01 miles away11109 Parkview Plaza Drive Fort Wayne Indiana 46845Voluntary non-profit - Private(260) 266-1000
- Orthopaedic Hospital at Parkview North LLCAcute Care Hospitals 7.06 miles away11130 Parkview Circle Dr Fort Wayne Indiana 46845Voluntary non-profit - Private(260) 672-4050
- Parkview Whitley HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 17.87 miles away1260 E Sr 205 Columbia City Indiana 46725Voluntary non-profit - Private(260) 248-9301
- Dekalb HealthAcute Care Hospitals 19.98 miles away1316 E Seventh St Auburn Indiana 46706Voluntary non-profit - Private(260) 925-4600
- Davita - Summit City Dialysis2.34 miles away3233 East Coliseum Blvd. Fort Wayne Indiana 46805CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (260) 373-1599
- Davita - Fort Wayne South3.52 miles away302 E. Pettit Ave. Fort Wayne Indiana 46806CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (260) 456-0451
- Davita - Fort Wayne West3.84 miles away4916 Illinois Road, Suite 118 Fort Wayne Indiana 46804Dialysis Stations: 14 (260) 434-0483
- Davita - Appleseed4.78 miles away1833 Magnavox Way Fort Wayne Indiana 46804Dialysis Stations: 4 (260) 432-1036
- Randolph Dialysis, LLC5.14 miles away6721 Old Trail Road Fort Wayne Indiana 46809Dialysis Stations: 12 (260) 478-8582
- Fmc - Northeast Indiana Kidney Ctr - Fort Wayne6.14 miles away7836 W. Jefferson Blvd., Suite ll10 Fort Wayne Indiana 46804CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (260) 432-4225
- Fmc - Dupont Dialysis6.22 miles away10204 East Dupont Circle Drive Fort Wayne Indiana 46825CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (260) 489-9255
- Davita-Fort Wayne North Dialysis6.22 miles away415 E Dupont Road Fort Wayne Indiana 46825Dialysis Stations: 13 (260) 637-0431