Life Care Center of Florissant is an average-sized facility in Florissant, Missouri. We gave this nursing home a decent overall score of B-. After assessing the other options in Florissant, this seems to be a better option than most of them. Even in a city featuring 10 nursing homes, this facility ought to be a sound selection. The best part of this facility's profile is its remarkable short-term care grade. We discuss short-term care in the next paragraph.
Life Care Center of Florissant
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Amputee Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
We awarded this facility an A for our short-term care rating. This is much more impressive than the facility's overall score. In calculating our short-term care grades, we analyze the facility's levels of highly skilled nursing, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists speech therapists and other licensed professionals. This rating is generally a reliable measure of a facility's ability to rehabilitate patients. Fortunately, it appear that this nursing home has registered nurses on staff. Not all nursing homes employs these types of nurses. However, based on the data this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. The final datapoint we considered in this category is the percentage of residents who were able to leave the nursing home and return to the community. We discovered that 5.8 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home.
This facility also excelled in the category of nursing, where it received a grade of A. Few nursing homes performed better in this area. Our nursing rating is mostly tied to a nursing home's level of nurse staffing. This nursing home provides 0.6 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This facility performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a place has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can many times be avoided if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Does this page answer your questions about Life Care Center of Florissant?
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home also was given a favorable grade in our long-term care category. We awarded this nursing home an above average grade of B+ in this category. Facilities that excel in long-term care tend to be well-staffed and offer extensive hands on care to patients. After we finished looking at the amount of care provided by nurses, we then analyzed the nursing home's vaccination record. This nursing home vaccinated 99.24812 percent of its residents against pneumonia, which is very impressive. Pneumonia sadly can be a life or death illness for nursing home patients so we like it when a nursing home does not leave this to chance. Lastly, this facility was able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had only 0.03 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Moving on our final category of inspections, we gave this facility a grade of just D. This turned out to be this nursing home's worst grade and it really hurt its overall grade. Our inspection grade is based on the facility's inspection reports. Since the information is collected by government inspectors, we weight it heavily in overall grade. Inspection ratings factor in many items found on the nursing home's inspection reports. When you see too many deficiencies on the inspection reports, this is generally a bad sign. Severe deficiencies indicate a threat to the well being of residents. This particular facility was hit with a category G through L deficiency, which are among the more severe deficiencies. This generally indicates that the deficiencies uncovered by the government inspectors had the potential to pose actual harm to residents. Finally, we also would like to point out that this place was assessed large government fines in recent years in excess of $50,000. This typically signifies that CMS inspectors became frustrated after several years of failed health inspections.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Life Care Center of Florissant Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Life Care Center of Florissant, 9.28% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percentage of residents who have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also known as bed sores, are often caused by patients staying in one position for too long. Better nursing care limits the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain pressure ulcers.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Life Care Center of Florissant, 3.89% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients that have suffered a fall which caused major injury. Falls can happen for a variety of reasons, but high rates of major falls could be an indicator of lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Life Care Center of Florissant, 3.39% of Patients had UTIs
This metric gauges the percentage of long-term care patients who sustained urinary tract infections. Although more infections may reflect poorly on a facility's nursing care, it can be problematic to compare different nursing homes due to inconsistent reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Life Care Center of Florissant, 20.47% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of residents who were given antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic medications may be vital to many patients, it is important to confirm these medications are being used only where medically required. In limited situations, increased usage of these drugs may mean that a facility is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Life Care Center of Florissant, 24.32% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percentage of residents prescribed antianxiety drugs. These medications are typically used to treat residents suffering from depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Life Care Center of Florissant, 4.19% of Patients
This is the percent of residents exhibiting depressive symptoms. Higher rates of depression could reveal lower quality care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Life Care Center of Florissant, 88.53% of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients that have received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Life Care Center of Florissant, 14.79% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients that required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of dependence on staff for assistance with activities of daily living may be a sign of the erosion of a patient's health.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Life Care Center of Florissant, 14.68% Percentage of Residents
This metric measures the percent of long-term stay patients who remained mobile levels. Some experts believe that the ability to move around is vital to patients physical and mental well-being.
In Life Care Center of Florissant, 1.7 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of care. There is usually a correlation between having fewer hospitalizations and the quality of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Life Care Center of Florissant, 14.68 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Life Care Center of Florissant, 11.55 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is usually a correlation between keeping patients out of the emergency room and the overall quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Life Care Center of Florissant, 72.81% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percentage of short-term residents who saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Higher levels of autonomy with activities of daily living generally correlates with superior rehabilitation.
Scores for Florissant, MO
- Overall Rating has a grade of D
- Nurse Rating has a grade of D
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of D
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-minus
Looking for more options? Florissant, Missouri has 9 other nursing homes
- Christian Hospital Northeast-NorthwestAcute Care Hospitals 5.86 miles away11133 Dunn Road Saint Louis Missouri 63136Voluntary non-profit - Private(314) 653-5000
- Ssm Health Depaul Hospital St LouisAcute Care Hospitals 7.77 miles away12303 Depaul Drive Bridgeton Missouri 63044Voluntary non-profit - Private(314) 344-6000
- Ssm Health St Joseph Hospital-St CharlesAcute Care Hospitals 9.03 miles away300 1st Capitol Dr Saint Charles Missouri 63301Voluntary non-profit - Private(636) 947-5000
- Barnes-Jewish West County HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 12.74 miles away12634 Olive Boulevard Saint Louis Missouri 63141Voluntary non-profit - Private(314) 996-8000
- Gateway Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 13.03 miles away2100 Madison Avenue Granite City Illinois 62040Voluntary non-profit - Other(618) 798-3000
- Ssm Health St Mary's Hospital - St LouisAcute Care Hospitals 13.27 miles away6420 Clayton Rd Saint Louis Missouri 63117Voluntary non-profit - Private(314) 768-8000
- Barnes-Jewish St Peters HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 13.76 miles away10 Hospital Dr Saint Peters Missouri 63376Voluntary non-profit - Other(636) 916-9000
- Missouri Baptist Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 14.59 miles away3015 N Ballas Rd Saint Louis Missouri 63131Voluntary non-profit - Private(314) 996-5000
- Cross Keys Dialysis1.9 miles away14001 New Halls Ferry Rd #133 Florissant Missouri 63033Dialysis Stations: 16 (314) 839-7416
- Fmc - Florissant2.52 miles away577 Hodershell Road Florissant Missouri 63031Dialysis Stations: 13 (314) 831-2178
- North Saint Louis County Dialysis2.92 miles away13119 New Halls Ferry Road Florissant Missouri 63033Dialysis Stations: 14 (314) 838-3252
- Quality Care Dialysis Centers - North County2.98 miles away6865 Parker Rd. Florissant Missouri 63033CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (314) 653-6100
- Hazelwood Dialysis3.68 miles away637 Dunn Road #125 Hazelwood Missouri 63042CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (314) 731-8039
- Metro Dialysis Center - North3.7 miles away2 Grandview Plaza Florissant Missouri 63033CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 26 (314) 831-7990
- Florissant Dialysis4.65 miles away10887 W Florissant Rd Saint Louis Missouri 63136CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (314) 524-5737
- Fmc - St Louis Northeast4.85 miles away2840 Target Dr Saint Louis Missouri 63136Dialysis Stations: 12 (314) 355-1322