Life Care Center of Federal Way is located in Federal Way, Washington. This facility is a subpar nursing home. A grade in this range suggests we found some red flags. This is not the worse place we looked at, however, we'd still struggle to recommend it. If you aren't deterred by this place's report card, feel free to continue reading to learn more about its category grades. We discuss nursing in the next section.
Life Care Center of Federal Way
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
While we were not complementary of this facility's overall grade, it actually earned an impressive nursing rating this year. We gave it a B in this area. Our nursing rating consists of a handful of factors, however, the most important consideration is the number of nurse hours per patient per week. This nursing home averages 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed several nursing quality measures and this place excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any facility the state in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can often be prevented by offering better nursing care, such as having a system of moving a patient more frequently.
Short-term Care Quality
In addition, we also would like to draw your attention to the fact that this facility was given favorable short-term care marks in this assessment. We awarded them one of our more favorable grades in this area, with a grade of B. This turned out to be the facility's second best grade. Our short-term care grades are based in part on the nursing home's quantity of skilled skilled healthcare professionals. This includes a wide spectrum of services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and speech therapists, as well as other types of therapy. Fortunately, it appear that this nursing home employs registered nurses. Not every facility employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, based on the data they provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. The final measure we looked at in this category is the percentage of residents that ultimately were able to return home from the facility. We found that 5.2 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home as opposed to remaining at the facility on a permanent basis.
Does this page answer your questions about Life Care Center of Federal Way?
This nursing home did not receive favorable inspection reports in recent years. In fact, it only received a grade of D for its inspection grade. We weigh several aspects of a nursing home's inspection report in determining our inspection grades. One of those factors is deficiencies. We recommend you scrutinize the severity of those deficiencies. This particular nursing home was assessed one category G through L deficiency, which rank among the more severe categories of deficiencies. These categories indicate that the deficiencies found by CMS had potential to pose actual harm to residents. Finally, we want to draw your attention to the fact that this nursing home received significant government fines in recent years in excess of $50,000. This typically signifies that CMS inspectors became frustrated after multiple years of failed inspections.
Long-term Care Quality
The last area we assessed is long-term care, in which this facility received an abysmal grade here also. We gave it a lowly F for this area, which is obviously very concerning. For prospective residents looking for a permanent place to live as opposed to skilled nursing, long-term care is an important category. After assessing the quantity of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we next considered the facility's vaccination records. This facility vaccinated 97.13376 percent of its patients for pneumonia, which is more than most nursing homes. To our surprise, this facility also fared well at keeping its patients out of the hospital. In fact, it had just 0.01 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days. Sadly, some of its other scores in the category were not as favorable as these.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Life Care Center of Federal Way Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Life Care Center of Federal Way, 7.09% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term care residents who suffer from new or worsened pressure ulcers . We use this statistic in calculating both nursing and long-term care grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Life Care Center of Federal Way, 2.86% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percentage of patients who sustained a major fall. Falls leading to major injuries are considered to be a measure of nursing care . Falls which result in injury are routinely the result of lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Life Care Center of Federal Way, 2.28% of Patients had UTIs
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term patients who had a urinary tract infection. Although a higher rate of these infections could reflect poorly on a facility's cleanliness, it is difficult to compare between nursing homes due to nursing homes having varying reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Life Care Center of Federal Way, 13.8% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of patients given antipsychotic medications. Antipsychotic medications are given to residents for a variety of conditions, including Alzheimer's or other dementias. Sadly, in limited cases, increased usage of these drugs may indicate that a nursing home is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Life Care Center of Federal Way, 12.29% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percentage of residents prescribed antianxiety drugs. These drugs are generally given to residents suffering from anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Life Care Center of Federal Way, 13.74% of Patients
This is the percentage of residents demonstrating signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Life Care Center of Federal Way, 93.71% of Patients
This is a measure of the percent of long-term residents that were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Life Care Center of Federal Way, 13.94% Percentage of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients who needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as taking medications and continence. Some believe this is a reasonable measure of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Life Care Center of Federal Way, 21.78% Percentage of Residents
Measures the percentage of long-term stay patients who retained mobility levels.
In Life Care Center of Federal Way, 1 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Life Care Center of Federal Way, 21.78 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
Measures the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Life Care Center of Federal Way, 10.98 Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care. Avoiding emergency medical situations is one way to measure the well-being of patients during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Life Care Center of Federal Way, 74.42% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint measures the percentage of short-term stay patients who experienced functional improvements.
Scores for Federal Way, WA
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of D
Looking for more options? Federal Way, Washington has 3 other nursing homes
- St Francis Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.37 miles away34515 9th Avenue South Federal Way Washington 98003Voluntary non-profit - Church(253) 944-8100
- Multicare Auburn Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.31 miles away202 North Division Street Plaza One Auburn Washington 98001Voluntary non-profit - Private(253) 833-7711
- St Joseph Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.23 miles away1717 South J Street Tacoma Washington 98405Voluntary non-profit - Church(253) 627-4101
- Highline Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.18 miles away16251 Sylvester Road Sw Seattle Washington 98166Voluntary non-profit - Private(206) 244-9970
- Valley Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.39 miles away400 S 43rd St Renton Washington 98055Government - Hospital District or Authority(425) 228-3450
- Multicare Covington Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.23 miles away17700 Se 272nd St Kent Washington 98042Voluntary non-profit - Private(253) 372-7400
- Multicare Good Samaritan HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.46 miles away401 15th Avenue Se Puyallup Washington 98372Voluntary non-profit - Private(253) 697-2102
- St Anthony HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 13.98 miles away11567 Canterwood Boulevard Nw Gig Harbor Washington 98332Voluntary non-profit - Church(253) 530-2050
- Nkc Federal Way West Campus1.92 miles away501 South 336th St., Suite 110 Federal Way Washington 98003Dialysis Stations: 7 (253) 943-6312
- Total Renal Care, Inc2.19 miles away27320 Pacific Hwy S Federal Way Washington 98003Dialysis Stations: 12 (253) 529-7825
- Nkc Federal Way East Kidney Center2.39 miles away33820 Weyerhaeuser Way S Ste 100 Auburn Washington 98001Dialysis Stations: 14 (253) 943-6262
- Federal Way Community Dialysis Center2.54 miles away1015 S 348th St Federal Way Washington 98003CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 13 (253) 661-9055
- Nkc Auburn Kidney Center3.2 miles away1501 West Valley Highway N Auburn Washington 98001CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (253) 804-8323
- Nkc Kent Kidney Center4.89 miles away25316 74th Ave S Ste 101 Kent Washington 98032CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (253) 850-6810
- Nkc Fife Kidney Center5.68 miles away6021 12th Street E, Suite 110 Tacoma Washington 98424Dialysis Stations: 10 (253) 943-6335
- Kent Community Dialysis Center6.94 miles away21851 84th Ave S Kent Washington 98032CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (253) 872-5474