Mason Creek Transitional Care of Katy is a large nursing home located in Katy, Texas. This nursing home received an uninspiring overall grade of D in our grading scheme. If you are not satisfied with this facility's mediocre overall grade, you will be pleased to know there are five other nursing homes in Katy. Despite all this, one of the few highlights of this nursing home's profile is its strong inspection reports. You can continue reading to find out about inspections and other category scores
Mason Creek Transitional Care of Katy
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Speech Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Recreational Therapy
- Lymphedema Care
Registered Staff Hours
While we were not very complementary of this facility's overall score, it received a very impressive inspection report this year. In fact, it received an excellent inspection report this year. As a result, it earned one of our best grades in that category with a grade of A-. Our inspection ratings are tied to many items found on the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Deficiencies are a key thing to look for on these inspections. You should especially avoid facilities with severe deficiencies linked to endangerment of patients. Amazingly, this was one of the few nursing homes in the country that had no deficiencies whatsoever on its inspection report. This is very impressive. Not having any deficiencies is this place's greatest strength.
Long-term Care Quality
One of this nursing home's higher category grades was in the category of long-term care. This turned out to be its second most favorable category. In that area, we awarded this nursing home a C. Our long-term care grade focuses on a facility's assistance with daily living rather than the skilled therapy and medical services that are critical to a skilled nursing facility. On top of considering the volume of care provided by aids and other staff, we looked at the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This nursing home provided the vaccine to 99.61686 percent of its residents, which is better than the average nursing home. This facility was able to keep its patients out of the hospital. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about Mason Creek Transitional Care of Katy?
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home's second lowest category was short-term care, where it earned a grade of just D in that area. This is a well below average grade. Short-term care grades are often employed to measure a nursing home's performance with rehabilitation In order to offer quality rehabilitation services, facilities generally need to offer better levels of skilled nursing services. Skilled nursing includes registered nurses, physical therapists, speech therapists and other highly trained professionals. As you might expect, we learned that this facility provides far less physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than a typical facility. The last statistic we assessed in this area is the number of residents who who were able to eventually return home from the facility. This nursing home struggled quite a bit in this metric as well, with just 4.5 percent of its patients returning home. This was quite a bit below the national average.
The next category we analyzed was nursing. It received an abysmal F in this area, which is a poor grade. Our nursing rating consists of a handful of factors, many of which are based on quantities of nurse staffing. This facility provided just 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a very low total compared to most nursing homes. Finally, we also looked at some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing scores. This place performed well in the area of minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Mason Creek Transitional Care of Katy Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Mason Creek Transitional Care of Katy, 7.79% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percentage of patients who suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, which are also referred to as bed sores, are routinely the result of patients not being moved frequently enough. Better nursing care can limit the number of pressure ulcers sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Mason Creek Transitional Care of Katy, 3.33% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of residents who have had a fall which caused serious injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Mason Creek Transitional Care of Katy, 1.51% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percentage of patients that suffered from a urinary tract infection. These infections are sometimes associated with poor hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Mason Creek Transitional Care of Katy, 11.48% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percentage of patients who were given antipsychotic medications. Antipsychotic medications are prescribed to residents for a variety of conditions, such as cognitive disorders. Sadly, in some situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may mean a facility is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Mason Creek Transitional Care of Katy, 22.56% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This metric tells you the percent of long-term patients receiving antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Mason Creek Transitional Care of Katy, 4.81% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term patients who are exhibiting symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Mason Creek Transitional Care of Katy, 94.64% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term care patients that have received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be very dangerous for nursing home residents, making these vaccines critical to patient well-being.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Mason Creek Transitional Care of Katy, 17.1% Percentage of Patients
This is the percent of residents that required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of needing for assistance with activities of daily living may indicate deterioration of a patient's health.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Mason Creek Transitional Care of Katy, 16.36% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percent of patients who maintained mobility over time. Optimizing mobility is usually a good sign for residents' health.
In Mason Creek Transitional Care of Katy, 1.67 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Mason Creek Transitional Care of Katy, 16.36 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term patient care. There is a correlation between reduced hospitalizations and a nursing home's quality of short-term rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Mason Creek Transitional Care of Katy, 11.4 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term care. There is usually a correlation between fewer emergency room visits and the overall quality of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Mason Creek Transitional Care of Katy, 66.86% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percentage of short-term stay patients who experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
Scores for Katy, TX
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of D
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Katy, Texas has 5 other nursing homes
- Memorial Hermann Katy HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.42 miles away23900 Katy Freeway Katy Texas 77494Voluntary non-profit - Private(281) 392-1111
- Houston Methodist West HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.02 miles away18500 Katy Freeway Houston Texas 77094Voluntary non-profit - Private(832) 522-1000
- Westpark Springs LLCPsychiatric 5.81 miles away6902 S Peek Road Richmond Texas 77407Voluntary non-profit - Other(832) 535-2770
- Hca Houston Healthcare WestAcute Care Hospitals 9.73 miles away12141 Richmond Ave Houston Texas 77082Proprietary(281) 588-8080
- Memorial Hermann Memorial City Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 12.22 miles away921 Gessner Houston Texas 77024Voluntary non-profit - Private(713) 242-3000
- Oakbend Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 13.84 miles away1705 Jackson St Richmond Texas 77469Government - Hospital District or Authority(281) 341-3000
- St Luke's Sugar Land HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 14.04 miles away1317 Lake Pointe Parkway Sugar Land Texas 77478Voluntary non-profit - Private(281) 637-7000
- Sugar Land Surgical Hospital LlpAcute Care Hospitals 14.44 miles away16906 Southwest Freeway Sugar Land Texas 77479Physician(281) 243-1000
- Fresenius Medical Care Katy0.16 miles away21755 Provincial Blvd Katy Texas 77450Dialysis Stations: 25 (281) 492-3401
- Katy Cinco Ranch Dialysis1 miles away1265 Rock Canyon Road Katy Texas 77450Dialysis Stations: 12 (281) 392-1616
- Katy Dialysis Center1.81 miles away403 W. Grand Parkway South Suite T Katy Texas 77494CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (281) 392-6063
- Pin Oak Dialysis2.43 miles away24968 Katy Ranch Rd Unit 500 Katy Texas 77494Dialysis Stations: 20 (281) 574-4387
- Dunes Dialysis, LLC2.6 miles away2922 N Mason Rd. Suite 100 Katy Texas 77449Dialysis Stations: 20 (281) 579-9057
- Horizon Dialysis2.77 miles away2222 Greenhouse Rd Houston Texas 77084Dialysis Stations: 16 (281) 829-5941
- West Oaks Dialysis Center6.5 miles away14800 Westheimer Road Suite A Houston Texas 77082Dialysis Stations: 12 (281) 752-5469
- Bear Creek Dialysis7.68 miles away4978 North Highway 6, Suite I Houston Texas 77084CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (281) 859-5020