Laurel Baye Healthcare of Greenville is a large nursing home located in Greenville, South Carolina. Featuring an overall rating of D, this is a subpar nursing home. If you aren't happy with this facility's overall grade, you should be able to find a better option in Greenville. The city has at least 10 other nursing homes. We would not blame you if you're ready to stop reading and find another facility. However, if you want to learn more about this nursing home's category grades, short-term care grades are discussed in the next section.
Laurel Baye Healthcare of Greenville
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
Note: Laurel Baye Healthcare of Greenville has been flagged for abuse in the past 12 months. We have capped this facility's overall grade accordingly.
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Colostomy Care
- Catheter Care
Top Nursing Home in South Carolina Awards 2019
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
Although we were not high on this nursing home overall, we awarded it a B- for short-term care. In the category of short-term care, we try to assess indicators of a nursing home's rehabilitation services. We assess a nursing home's skilled nursing services, including the ones performed by registered nurses and physical and occupational therapists. This nursing home provides more services with physical therapists and registered nurses than most nursing homes we looked at. This is usually a favorable sign. The final datapoint we looked at in this area is the number of patients who who were able to eventually return home from the nursing home. We found that just 5.9 percent of this facility's residents returned home.
Long-term Care Quality
We also awarded this nursing home a decent grade in the area of long-term care, with a grade of B-. Long-term care grades assess a nursing home's assistance with daily living instead of the skilled nursing and medical services that are critical to a skilled nursing facility. One of the datapoints we considered on top of nurse's aid hours is vaccinations. Thankfully, this facility administered the pneumonia vaccine to 99.711815 percent of its patients. This nursing home was able to keep its patients out of the hospital. Indeed, it had only 0.02 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about Laurel Baye Healthcare of Greenville?
This facility received slightly below average inspections in recent years. We gave them a C in this category. Inspection ratings account for several factors found on a nursing home's inspection reports. One of the most important criteria we consider is the quantity and severity of deficiencies. This particular nursing home had just a single deficiency on its inspection report and it was not one deemed to pose a threat to patient health or safety. Lastly, this nursing home was cited by CMS for possible abuse or neglect. This is generally a really bad sign. We would never recommend this facility.
The last category we graded is nursing. We awarded it a grade of C in that category. This is a perfectly acceptable grade in this area. There are many factors included in this category. Many of the data points are tied to nurse staffing. This place provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per patient per day. This is a much lower figure than we were hoping for. Finally, we also looked at several nursing quality-based metrics. While this nursing home got docked a bit for its nursing hours per resident, it actually excelled in a few of these quality-based metrics. With less than five percent of its residents suffering from pressure ulcers, it fared well in this statistic. This is generally an indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can many times be prevented by providing better nursing care, such as by employing a system of moving residents more often.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Laurel Baye Healthcare of Greenville Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Laurel Baye Healthcare of Greenville, 9.53% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percentage of residents who suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also called bed sores, are routinely caused by residents staying in one position for too long. Better nursing care can minimize the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain pressure ulcers.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Laurel Baye Healthcare of Greenville, 3.47% of Patients had Serious Falls
This metric is an indication of the percent of long-term residents who had a fall leading to severe injury. This is one of the statistics we use in determining nursing scores.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Laurel Baye Healthcare of Greenville, 3.18% of Patients had UTIs
This metric gauges the percent of long-term stay residents that sustained a urinary tract infection. Although a higher rate of these infections could reflect poorly on a nursing home's hygiene protocols, it is problematic to compare different facilities due to facilities having varying reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Laurel Baye Healthcare of Greenville, 15.14% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This gauges the percentage of long-term residents who were prescribed antipsychotic drugs. High levels of antipsychotic drug use may mean a facility is using these drugs to control patient behavior in situations where such drugs aren't medically required. However, some nursing homes may need to rely on these medications due to an increased number of residents with cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Laurel Baye Healthcare of Greenville, 19.68% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percent of patients who were prescribed antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety drugs are given to residents suffering from depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Laurel Baye Healthcare of Greenville, 2.85% of Patients
Measures the percent of long-term care residents exhibiting signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Laurel Baye Healthcare of Greenville, 88.92% of Patients
This is the percent of patients who have received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Laurel Baye Healthcare of Greenville, 14.02% Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay residents that needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as taking medications and eating.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Laurel Baye Healthcare of Greenville, 20.24% Percentage of Residents
This metric tracks the percent of long-term care patients that maintained mobility.
In Laurel Baye Healthcare of Greenville, 1.69 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care. There is a correlation between having fewer hospitalizations and the quality of long-term care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Laurel Baye Healthcare of Greenville, 20.24 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
Measures the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Laurel Baye Healthcare of Greenville, 12.31 Percentage of Patients
This metric is a measure of the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Laurel Baye Healthcare of Greenville, 73.11% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percent of short-term stay residents who experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
Scores for Greenville, SC
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Greenville, South Carolina has 11 other nursing homes
- Prisma Health Greenville Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.29 miles away905 Verdae Blvd Suite 102 Greenville South Carolina 29605Voluntary non-profit - Private(864) 455-7000
- Prisma Health Greer Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.12 miles away830 South Buncombe Road Greer South Carolina 29650Voluntary non-profit - Private(864) 848-8200
- Pelham Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.98 miles away250 Westmoreland Road Greer South Carolina 29651Government - Hospital District or Authority(864) 560-6554
- Prisma Health Baptist Easley HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 12.43 miles away200 Fleetwood Drive Easley South Carolina 29640Voluntary non-profit - Private(864) 442-7606
- Prisma Health Hillcrest HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 13.63 miles away741 South East Main Street Simpsonville South Carolina 29681Voluntary non-profit - Private(864) 454-6100
- Cannon Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 17.63 miles away123 W G Acker Drive Pickens South Carolina 29671Voluntary non-profit - Private(864) 878-4791
- Rcg Greenville Dialysis Center1.33 miles away297 Pete Hollis Blvd. Greenville South Carolina 29601CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (864) 232-9456
- Greenville Dialysis Clinic, LLC2.7 miles away220-a Howe Street Greenville South Carolina 29601Dialysis Stations: 20 (864) 271-2002
- Upstate Dialysis Center3.4 miles away308 Mills Ave Greenville South Carolina 29605CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 52 (864) 271-3700
- Dsi Greenville Renal Center4.59 miles away1004 Grove Road Greenville South Carolina 29605CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 37 (864) 242-0802
- Dsi Pleasantburg Dialysis5.49 miles away110 Chalmers Dr Ste C Greenville South Carolina 29605CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (864) 558-2365
- Dsi Home Dialysis Pleasantburg5.49 miles away110 Chalmers Road, Suite D Greenville South Carolina 29605Dialysis Stations: 3 (864) 558-2375
- Dsi Travelers Rest Dialysis6.72 miles away36 S Main St Travelers Rest South Carolina 29690Dialysis Stations: 13 (864) 660-2050
- Greer South Dialysis7.56 miles away3254 Brushy Creek Road Greer South Carolina 29650CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (864) 801-2065