Landmark of Desoto is a small nursing home located in Horn Lake, Mississippi. With an overall grade of C, this is likely a middle of the pack nursing home. In our view, this place would be a good fit for quite a few people. This nursing home didn't meet our expectations in every category we looked at, but it did not receive any rock-bottom grades either. More information about these categories can be found below.
Landmark of Desoto
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- For profit - Individual
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Top Nursing Home in Mississippi Awards 2019
Registered Staff Hours
We want to point out that this facility really outperformed its overall score in the category of inspections. In fact, it received a nearly flawless government inspection report this year. As a result, it received one of our best grades in this category with an A+. Our inspection grades weigh a host of factors included in a nursing home's inspection reports. One key criteria we consider is the number and severity of deficiencies. Places with higher scores in this category generally have very few severe deficiencies. This particular nursing home had just a single deficiency on its inspection report and it was not one deemed to pose a threat to patient health or safety. Based on this, we still had favorable view of this facility's inspections.
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home's long-term care score turns out to be one of its respectable grades. The facility was given a grade of B- in this category. Long-term care grades are typically used to grade a facility's performance as a traditional convalescent home, as opposed to focusing on the skilled nursing services provided by a rehabilitation facility. In addition to assessing the amount of care provided by nurses and other staff, we analyzed the percentage of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This nursing home provided the vaccine to 97.24138 percent of its residents, which is more than the vast majority of nursing homes. Finally, this facility was also able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had only 0.04 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Landmark of Desoto?
Moving on to another strength for this facility, it also received an elite nursing grade. In fact, we gave this nursing home a grade of D. Our nursing score is based on a variety of datapoints. The most important one is the number of hours nurses spend with patients. This place provided only 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident daily. This is an alarmingly low total. Finally, we also looked at some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing grades. This nursing home fared well when it comes to avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls.
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home's worst category is short-term care, which is the last area we assessed. For this category, we gave this facility a D. Our short-term care grades are based in part on the nursing home's quantity of skilled skilled healthcare professionals. This means a broad range of services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and speech therapists, as well as other forms of therapy. With a grade this poor in this category, we weren't stunned to learn this nursing home was well below average in multiple staffing areas we assess. It offered far fewer physical therapist and registered nurse hours per patient than most other nursing homes. The last metric we considered in this category is the number of patients who ultimately returned home from the nursing home. This facility struggled quite a bit in this area as well, with just 5.3 percent of its residents returning home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Landmark of Desoto Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Landmark of Desoto, 10.72% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of residents who suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are skin damage due to remaining in the same position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Landmark of Desoto, 3.26% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percent of residents who suffered from a fall resulting in major injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Landmark of Desoto, 3.03% of Patients had UTIs
This figure is an indication of the percentage of long-term residents who suffered from UTI's. UTI's may be an indicator of lower quality nursing care. Nevertheless, this statistic could be skewed for certain facilities due to different reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Landmark of Desoto, 20.18% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percent of patients who were given antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic drugs may be vital to many patients, it is important to ensure these medications are being used appropriately. In some cases, excessive reliance on these medications may suggest a nursing home is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Landmark of Desoto, 22.76% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percent of residents who were given antianxiety medications. Antianxiety drugs are administered to residents suffering from anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Landmark of Desoto, 2.3% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term stay patients who are showing depressive symptoms. Many would argue that this is a measure of resident quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Landmark of Desoto, 93.75% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Landmark of Desoto, 18.95% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients that required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Landmark of Desoto, 20.82% Percentage of Residents
This metric tracks the percentage of long-term care patients who retained mobility levels.
In Landmark of Desoto, 1.95 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This datapoint measures the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care. Minimizing hospitalizations is critical to maintaining the physical health of residents.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Landmark of Desoto, 20.82 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
Measures the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Landmark of Desoto, 13.63 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Landmark of Desoto, 69.18% Percentage of Resident
This is the percent of short-term patients that experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. High levels of autonomy with ADL's often correlates with successful rehabilitation.
- Delta Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.48 miles away3000 Getwell Rd Memphis Tennessee 38118Proprietary(901) 369-8100
- Methodist Healthcare Memphis HospitalsAcute Care Hospitals 13.12 miles away1265 Union Ave Suite 700 Memphis Tennessee 38104Voluntary non-profit - Church(901) 516-8274
- Memphis Mental Health InstitutePsychiatric 13.38 miles away951 Court Avenue Memphis Tennessee 38103Government - Local(901) 577-1800
- Regional One HealthAcute Care Hospitals 13.44 miles away877 Jefferson Avenue Memphis Tennessee 38103Government - Hospital District or Authority(901) 545-7928
- Methodist Healthcare - Olive Branch HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 14.25 miles away4250 Bethel Road Olive Branch Mississippi 38654Voluntary non-profit - Private(662) 932-9000
- St Francis HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 14.69 miles away5959 Park Ave Memphis Tennessee 38119Proprietary(901) 765-1000
- Baptist Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 16.42 miles away6019 Walnut Grove Road Memphis Tennessee 38120Voluntary non-profit - Private(901) 226-5000
- Crestwyn Behavioral HealthPsychiatric 18.17 miles away9485 Crestwyn Hills Cove Memphis Tennessee 38125Proprietary(901) 457-5667
- Rcg Southaven3.15 miles away7318 Southcrest Pkwy Southaven Mississippi 38671CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 40 (662) 349-2548
- Fmc South Airways, LLC4.69 miles away5484 Airways Blvd Memphis Tennessee 38116Dialysis Stations: 29 (901) 345-5755
- Dsi Memphis LLC4.95 miles away4711 Neely Road Memphis Tennessee 38109CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 13 (901) 789-2290
- Deschutes Dialysis, LLC5.02 miles away5247 Airways Blvd Memphis Tennessee 38116Dialysis Stations: 13 (901) 345-0671
- Fmc Graceland5.35 miles away1200 Farrow Street Memphis Tennessee 38116CMS Rating: 1 stars Dialysis Stations: 34 (901) 398-1163
- Davita State Line5.76 miles away2049 E Shelby Drive Memphis Tennessee 38119CMS Rating: 1 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (901) 348-1931
- Isd Renal Inc6.01 miles away4180 Auburn Road Memphis Tennessee 38116Dialysis Stations: 16 (901) 332-8699
- Memphis South Dialysis6.02 miles away1205 Marlin Road Memphis Tennessee 38116CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (901) 346-6637