Lakewood Healthcare Center is in Downey, California. The city has a total of 111,772 people. We gave this nursing home an overall score of F. If you are not happy with this facility's pedestrian overall grade, you may find your options to be limited in Downey. The city has just three other nursing homes. We would not blame you if you're ready to stop reading and find another nursing home. However, if you want to learn more about this nursing home's category grades, nursing grades are discussed in the next section.
Lakewood Healthcare Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
Note: Lakewood Healthcare Center has been flagged for abuse in the past 12 months. We have capped this facility's overall grade accordingly.
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Partnership
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
Although we gave this facility a terrible overall grade, we awarded it a grade of B- for our nursing rating. Our nursing grade considers numerous datapoints. The most heavily weighted variable is the quantity of hours nurses spent with residents. This facility provided just 0.4 hours of nursing care per patient daily. This figure is significantly below average. Finally, despite not having the highest total nursing hours, this place actually performed admirably in the area of preventing major falls. This is generally a reliable indicator that a place has quality controls in place.
Long-term Care Quality
We were also pleasantly surprised to discover that this facility earned a reasonably solid long-term care score in our assessment. We gave it a B- in this category. For prospective patients seeking a permanent place to live rather than rehabilitation, long-term care is an important category. After we finished assessing the quantity of care provided by nurses, we next considered the facility's vaccination record. We were pleased to find that this facility vaccinated 99.63537 percent of its patients against pneumonia. Lastly, this facility was also able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Lakewood Healthcare Center?
This nursing home received very weak government inspections in recent years, causing them to receive an F for inspections. An F in this area is typically a signal that we found red flags on the nursing home's government inspection reports. For places that received this bad of an inspection rating, we recommend scrutinizing any severe deficiencies on its inspection report. This particular nursing home had several deficiencies in categories G through L, which are among the more serious categories of deficiencies. These categories indicate that the deficiencies found by CMS had potential to create actual harm to residents. Another area of concern is that CMS flagged this nursing home for possible abuse or neglect. This is not what you want to see. We advise you to direct your search elsewhere.
Short-term Care Quality
The next category we rated was short-term care. This nursing home was given a poor grade of F in this area. Short-term care grades are typically employed to gauge a nursing home's performance with rehabilitation. In order to offer quality rehabilitation services, facilities generally need to offer better levels of skilled nursing. These types of services include registered nurses, physical therapists, occupational therapists and other highly skilled individuals. Given its poor score in this category, we were not surprised to learn that this nursing home provided far fewer registered nurse and physical therapist hours per patient than most facilities. Finally, we assessed the number of patients who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. We found that just 2.3 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Lakewood Healthcare Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Lakewood Healthcare Center, 7.45% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This figure indicates the percentage of long-term stay residents who developed pressure ulcers or bed sores. We bake this statistic into both nursing and long-term care grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Lakewood Healthcare Center, 1.7% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percentage of patients that have had a major fall. Falls leading to serious injury are considered by many experts to be a measure of the quality of nursing care . Major falls are often the result of lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Lakewood Healthcare Center, 1.24% of Patients had UTIs
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents which had a UTI. UTI's may be a sign of a facility with worst hygiene practices. Nevertheless, this datapoint can also be misleading for certain facilities due to inconsistent reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Lakewood Healthcare Center, 10.1% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This statistic gauges the percent of long-term patients which were given antipsychotic drugs. Excessive reliance on these medications may indicate that a facility is using these drugs to control patient behavior in scenarios where such medications are not medically required. However, some nursing homes need to rely more on these drugs due to an increased number of patients suffering from dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Lakewood Healthcare Center, 13.85% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This measures the percent of long-term residents who are prescribed antianxiety medication. These drugs are commonly given to patients suffering from anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Lakewood Healthcare Center, 4.64% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients who are demonstrating depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Lakewood Healthcare Center, 95.44% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term residents who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be fatal for nursing home patients, making these types of vaccines critical to patient health.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Lakewood Healthcare Center, 7.92% Percentage of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term stay patients who needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as moving around and bathing.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Lakewood Healthcare Center, 12.45% Percentage of Residents
This metric measures the percentage of long-term stay patients that retained mobility levels.
In Lakewood Healthcare Center, 1.61 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This datapoint is a measure of the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Lakewood Healthcare Center, 12.45 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is typically a correlation between reduced hospitalizations and a nursing homes short-term rehabilitation performance.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Lakewood Healthcare Center, 9.83 Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term care. Avoiding emergency medical situations is one way to gauge patient well-being during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Lakewood Healthcare Center, 79.79% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percentage of short-term stay patients who experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Higher levels of autonomy with ADL's often correlates with superior rehabilitation services.
Scores for Downey, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of D
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-minus
Looking for more options? Downey, California has 3 other nursing homes
- Pih Hospital - DowneyAcute Care Hospitals 0.69 miles away11500 Brookshire Avenue Downey California 90241Voluntary non-profit - Private(526) 904-5000
- Coast Plaza HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.08 miles away13100 Studerbaker Road Norwalk California 90650Proprietary(310) 356-0550
- Lakewood Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.61 miles away3700 E South St Lakewood California 90712Proprietary(562) 602-6751
- Pih Health Hospital-WhittierAcute Care Hospitals 5.52 miles away12401 Washington Blvd Whittier California 90602Voluntary non-profit - Private(526) 698-0811
- Beverly HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.45 miles away309 W Beverly Blvd Montebello California 90640Voluntary non-profit - Private(323) 726-1222
- Martin Luther King, Jr. Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.47 miles away1680 East 120th Street Los Angeles California 90059Voluntary non-profit - Private(424) 835-6808
- Community Hospital of Huntington ParkAcute Care Hospitals 6.98 miles away2623 E Slauson Ave Huntington Park California 90255Proprietary(323) 583-1931
- Los Angeles Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.24 miles away4081 E Olympic Blvd Los Angeles California 90023Proprietary(323) 267-0477
- Davita-Downey Landing Dialysis Center0.51 miles away11611 Bellflower Blvd. Downey California 90241CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (562) 862-0001
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital Medical Ctr.- Downey0.62 miles awayCapd Department-Basement, 9333 E. Imperial Hwy Downey California 90242Dialysis Stations: 6 (562) 657-9170
- Davita-Iowa Street Dialysis0.84 miles away8333 Iowa Street, Suite 100 Downey California 90241CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (562) 923-5901
- Davita-Downey Dialysis Center1.69 miles away9041 Imperial Hwy. Downey California 90242CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (562) 622-4436
- Fmc-Bellflower1.85 miles away10116 Rosecrans Avenue Bellflower California 90706CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 36 (562) 920-2070
- Davita-Paramount Dialysis Center2.43 miles away15625 Lakewood Blvd. Paramount California 90723CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 37 (562) 790-2478
- Davita-Bellflower Dialysis Center2.59 miles away15736 Woodruff Avenue Bellflower California 90706CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (562) 804-3099
- Satellite Healthcare South Gate2.63 miles away8716 Garfield Avenue, Suite 100 South Gate California 90280CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (562) 674-2600