Lake Orion Nursing Center is located in Lake Orion, Michigan. This nursing home is a well below average nursing home. A grade of this caliber suggests we found a few red flags. In our view, we would be very reluctant to recommend this facility. Despite all this, one of the few highlights of this facility's profile is its strong inspection score. You can scroll down to find out about inspections and other category scores
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Lake Orion Nursing Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Nov 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on Lake Orion senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Top Nursing Home in Michigan Awards 2019
Best Nursing Home in Lake Orion, Michigan Awards 2019
Best Nursing Home in Lake Orion, Michigan Awards 2020
Best Nursing Home in Lake Orion, Michigan Awards 2021
Registered Staff Hours
While we were fairly low on this facility overall, we awarded it an A- for our inspections rating. This score is far more impressive than the nursing home's overall score. We take several aspects of a facility's inspection report into consideration in calculating our inspection grades. One key factor is health deficiencies. You should keep in mind that the severity of these deficiencies is usually more meaningful than the quantity of deficiencies, as some of these end up being quite minor. This facility was hit with 3 deficiencies on its inspection report, but none were considered to be severe deficiencies. This indicates that CMS did not deem any of the deficiencies to create an immediate threat to patient health or safety. A few minor deficiencies aren't necessarily the end of the world.
Short-term Care Quality
This facility's next most favorable area was its short-term care grade, where it received a B-. In crafting our short-term care ratings, we analyze the nursing home's skilled nursing services, such as those performed by registered nurses, speech therapists, physical therapists and other types of skilled professionals. Our objective is to devise a tool for sizing up the rehabilitation services of different facilities. Unfortunately, we found that this nursing home provided fewer physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than most other nursing homes. The tricky part is determining what bearing this had on the quality of care. Lastly, we assessed the percentage of patients who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. We found that 5.2 percent of this facility's residents returned home. At most facilities, closer to half of their residents are able to return home so this figure is below average.
Does this page answer your questions about Lake Orion Nursing Center?
Turning to the area of nursing care, this facility received a grade of just D in this category. Nursing ratings are heavily correlated with nurse staffing levels. This particular place averaged just 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident on a daily basis. This figure is significantly below average. Lastly, we also looked at some nursing quality-based metrics in calculating our nursing scores. This place fared well when it comes to avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls.
Long-term Care Quality
The last category we scored is long-term care. Sadly, it received a lowly F for this category, which is an abysmal grade. For prospective patients looking for a permanent place to live as opposed to rehabilitation, long-term care is a very important category. Once we concluded our assessment of the quantity of nursing care, we next considered the nursing home's vaccination data. We were optimistic to discover that this facility vaccinates 99.11111 percent of its residents for pneumonia. To our surprise, this place was able to keep its patients out of the hospital. In fact, it had only 0.02 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days. Unfortunately, some of its other scores in this category were not as favorable as these.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Lake Orion Nursing Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Lake Orion Nursing Center, 6.59% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percent of residents that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also called bed sores, are often caused by patients staying in one position for too long. Better nursing care can limit the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain pressure ulcers.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Lake Orion Nursing Center, 2.22% of Patients had Serious Falls
This metric measures the percent of long-term residents who had falls which caused serious injury. Falls can happen for a variety of reasons, but high rates of major falls could be an indicator of lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Lake Orion Nursing Center, 5.69% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of patients that sustained a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are often linked to facilities with worst hygiene practices. More frequent bathing minimizes the number likelihood of residents sustaining infections. Keep in mind that this metric is sometimes skewed by the fact that nursing homes have incongruent reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Lake Orion Nursing Center, 9.3% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percentage of patients prescribed antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs may be vital to many patients, it is important to make sure these drugs are being used appropriately. In some cases, increased usage of these drugs may indicate that a facility is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Lake Orion Nursing Center, 13.13% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This datapoint tells you the percent of long-term stay patients that were administered antianxiety drugs. These drugs are commonly used to treat patients suffering from depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Lake Orion Nursing Center, 3.83% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term patients who are exhibiting depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Lake Orion Nursing Center, 96.07% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term care patients who have received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be deadly for nursing home residents, making these vaccines important for resident well-being.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Lake Orion Nursing Center, 10.06% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients that required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as getting dressed and continence.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Lake Orion Nursing Center, 11.73% of Residents
Measures the percentage of long-term stay patients that remained mobile levels.
In Lake Orion Nursing Center, 0.02 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care. There is typically a correlation between avoiding hospitalizations and the overall quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Lake Orion Nursing Center, 11.73% of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Lake Orion Nursing Center, 2.13% of Patients
This metric measures the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term care. Avoiding medical emergencies is one way to assess the well-being of patients during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Lake Orion Nursing Center, 66.44% of Resident
This tells you the percent of short-term stay patients who experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. High levels of performance with activities of daily living typically correlates with higher quality rehabilitation services.
- Ascension Providence Rochester HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.28 miles away1101 W University Drive Rochester Michigan 48307Voluntary non-profit - Private(248) 652-5000
- Mclaren OaklandAcute Care Hospitals 10.55 miles away50 N Perry St Pontiac Michigan 48342Voluntary non-profit - Private(248) 338-5000
- St Joseph Mercy OaklandAcute Care Hospitals 11.95 miles away44405 Woodward Ave Pontiac Michigan 48341Voluntary non-profit - Private(248) 858-3000
- Henry Ford Macomb HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 18.01 miles away15855 Nineteen Mile Rd Clinton Township Michigan 48038Voluntary non-profit - Private(586) 263-2300
- Beaumont Hospital, Royal OakAcute Care Hospitals 18.59 miles away3601 W Thirteen Mile Rd Royal Oak Michigan 48073Voluntary non-profit - Private(248) 898-5000
- Henry Ford West Bloomfield HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 19.12 miles away6777 West Maple Road West Bloomfield Michigan 48322Voluntary non-profit - Private(248) 325-1000
- Mclaren Lapeer RegionAcute Care Hospitals 19.81 miles away1375 N Main St Lapeer Michigan 48446Voluntary non-profit - Private(810) 667-5500
- Fms Beaumont Health, LLC7.61 miles away6700 N Rochester Rd, Suite Gi-14 Rochester Michigan 48306Dialysis Stations: 8 (248) 650-1533
- Fms Rochester Hills, LLC7.96 miles away1406 Walton Blvd Rochester Michigan 48309Dialysis Stations: 13 (248) 608-5455
- Clarkston Dialysis of Davita10.41 miles away6770 Dixie Hwy Ste 205 Clarkston Michigan 48346Dialysis Stations: 22 (248) 620-0958
- Rochester Hills Dialysis of Davita10.82 miles away1886 W Auburn Rd Suite 100 Rochester Michigan 48309CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (248) 299-7901
- Greenfield Hs - Pontiac11.95 miles away44200 Woodward Ave Ste 109 Pontiac Michigan 48341CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (248) 322-7253
- Davita - North Oakland Dialysis12.11 miles away450 N Telegraph Rd Ste 600 Pontiac Michigan 48341CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 36 (248) 333-2230
- Fmc - Shelby12.36 miles away56065 Van Dyke Ave Utica Michigan 48316CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (586) 677-2008
- Davita - Orchard Square Dialysis13.31 miles away1900 S Telegraph Rd Ste 200 Bloomfield Hills Michigan 48302Dialysis Stations: 20 (248) 451-0954